I need a winter snow boot recommendation

I'm 76 with poor circulation in my left foot. I have a pair of Bates military boots with canvas on the sides and they don't work in the snow! Not only do I need winter boots, but I need to know how to size them. I'm wearing a middle weight wool boot sock now. Should I wear two pairs of socks to fit my next pair of boots or just a heavy wool boot sock? Should I add a wool insert? Where should I go to buy them? Academy Sports, Dicks, Bass Pro Shops, etc? Any other tips for keeping my feet warm would be appreciated!

• Like 1

Merrell hiking boots with a pair of winter-weight socks work well for me.  Merrells tend to have good tread that works well in the snow, plus there are several different styles so you have a variety to choose from.

HTH,

Whisper

• Admin Team

A good sock is a must.  I love a pair of full cushion SmartWools to start - but I would fit your boot so that it actually fits your boot with one pair of socks.  With age and circulation issues - you want to make sure your base is as firm as possible.

I would go for a boot with some actual insulation - as opposed to something that looks like it ought to be a cold weather boot but is actually just a dressed up rain boot. You probably want something with some Thinsulate or similar.

Merrell makes some great ones. So does Columbia at a generally lower price point.  Sorel is a solid cold weather boot maker.  I've got a pair of Bogs insulated rubber rubber slip ons that are surprisingly warm - they won't win any fashion contests - but they were maybe $29 and my feet never get wet walking the dog in the rain.  

A maybe controversial opinion - UGG makes some great cold weather boots that are functional and won't necessarily have you looking like an instagram influencer.

I picked up some sorel caribou boots from sierra trading post a while back on sale and this past week they have been great out in the snow and cold.  Wear a single pair of merino socks and have been good to go.  I got mine for sale during the summer, right now is probably not a great time to find a deal on winter boots.

Always the option to get some surplus military mickey mouse boots.  They run $60-$150 depending on the vendor and the size.

How long do you plan to be in them at one time ? What I would suggest for someone making a grocery run isn't necessarily the same pair I'd suggest spending all day in. Especially with circulation issues. For instance I have a pair of mucks for the farm but when I've been out fighting the M(asses) this week I have a pair of insulated waterproof Skechers I picked up on clearance that do the trick. As Mac suggested though a pair of good socks is key if you have circulation issues.

I don’t have a suggestion for boots. Will be following others advice. All I know is I used to wear out a pair of timberland pro series every 10 months. I’ve got a pair of Redwing Iron Rangers that I’ve had for ten years and still comfortable as hell. They have torn on the leather by the toe but still my go to outdoor boot. Apparently like everything else redwings quality suffers lately. 

https://www.amazon.com/Darn-Tough-Mountaineering-Micro-Cushion/dp/B0716Q1DJV/ref=mp_s_a_1_22_sspa?keywords=darn+tough+socks&qid=1705697724&sr=8-22-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9zZWFyY2hfYXRmX25leHQ&psc=1

Yes they’re $30 a pair. But I swear by these. Lifetime warranty and made in VT. I can’t recall ever having cold feet in these while outdoors. Have had pairs for 4 years that are still as good as new, the only thing I ask for for Xmas (other than NODs, no one has got me NODs yet). 

Also I’ll vouch for UGG. Have 3 pairs of their slippers and a bathrobe. I work hard and I’ll pay a premium for comfort.

Want to say I’m one of the few people on this rock that have stalked and taken a deer in an UGG robe and slippers with a 10mm. Maybe I missed my country living/bougee-redneck instagram modeling career 😏

• Haha 1

I bought some DryShod boots, supposedly made by the former owner of Muck boots. These are rated to 50 below......and that is a bald faced lie. They're ok down around 30 degrees but in this weather lately you'd better keep wiggling them toes to keep your feet warm. These things are a horrible waste of money. 

So I'm really no help at all here except to recommend what NOT to buy. 

• Like 1

The warmest things I've ever had on my feet were a pair of Keen hikers with Thinsulate. They weren't cheap, but I've had them since around '07/'08. I think the reason they work so good in cold is because of how thick the sole is. Cold just doesn't reach my piggies through this much rubber/insulation. Good thing too, because I can handle the cold better than most, but when my feet get cold, I'm done.

3 hours ago, FUJIMO said:

How long do you plan to be in them at one time ? What I would suggest for someone making a grocery run isn't necessarily the same pair I'd suggest spending all day in. Especially with circulation issues. For instance I have a pair of mucks for the farm but when I've been out fighting the M(asses) this week I have a pair of insulated waterproof Skechers I picked up on clearance that do the trick. As Mac suggested though a pair of good socks is key if you have circulation issues.

Fair Point! Hiking the Appalachian Trail requires a different answer than going to Hardee’s for a cup of coffee and biscuit.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, MacGyver said:

A good sock is a must.  I love a pair of full cushion SmartWools to start - but I would fit your boot so that it actually fits your boot with one pair of socks.  With age and circulation issues - you want to make sure your base is as firm as possible.

I'm a self proclaimed connoisseur of good socks. I wore Smartwool for years until it seemed that they were not nearly as durable as they used to be. They began to wear out quickly. I switched to Vermont. Darn Tough about 5 years ago, I probably have 20 pairs or more now but I'm still wearing the first pair that I bought. They are comfortable and do a great job wicking moisture away from your skin. They are also lifetime guaranteed. I haven't found a sock that I like better.

• Like 1

I use tingley boot covers. They are fantastic, but they are provided free so I have no idea the cost. I use a small plastic bag when I slide them on over my normal steel toe boots. I can maneuver on solid ice exactly the same as dry asphalt. 

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Muck Boots. No special socks needed. Ever. Fold the uppers down for easy on/off. Pull them up if the snow or mud looks deep. If you wear a 10, buy a 10.

I’ve been wearing my Muck Boots ass week. I did add some cushioned inner soles for more comfort.  I have the Chore ST (steel toe). 

46 minutes ago, 10-Ring said:

I'm a self proclaimed connoisseur of good socks. I wore Smartwool for years until it seemed that they were not nearly as durable as they used to be. They began to wear out quickly. I switched to Vermont. Darn Tough about 5 years ago, I probably have 20 pairs or more now but I'm still wearing the first pair that I bought. They are comfortable and do a great job wicking moisture away from your skin. They are also lifetime guaranteed. I haven't found a sock that I like better.

Darn Tough socks ROCK!  

The warmest pair of boots I ever bought where a pair of the "Mickey Mouse"  boots. I worked back home a few years ago back up in Pennsylvania. I worked on a Gas Turbine project. I got put on a crew that was welding up the high pressure steam lines at 130' level. My feet were always cold, I worked next to a guy from Canada and he had a pair, so I ordered a pair and got some good wool socks and a good insole for them my feet never got cold after that. We worked all winter long on that project in at least 2' of snow and Single didgit temperatures 10hrs a day.

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to share your suggestions. I went to Opry Mills Mall today and discovered there is a Merrill store in the mall. I tried on several boots and finally chose the Merrill Thermo Snowdrift 2 Mid Waterproof boot. It was $89. It came in Wide and I was able to add a wool insert that I were in my other boots. It was buy one, get two more at half off so I picked up a pair of trail running shoes for that felt great for $35. 

I plan to try them out tomorrow with a pair of SmartWool heavy boot socks.

• Like 4

Well this will be a moot point-lol.

I have some winter hiking boots from when I lived in CT. Not only were they  warm, if it was over 40 out they were too warm. But the best part was the sole. Super soft rubber to grip the ice and snow. If I was walking on asphalt they actually felt squirmy.

But good luck with your new setup, sounds like it will work fine.

• Admin Team
10 minutes ago, monkeylizard said:

Good choice. Add some Yaktrax and you'll be good for ice too. Take them off when you don't need the extra grip.

That's funny that I was thinking about those earlier.  They really do add needed traction on ice.

• Like 1