walmart and ammo

I see this type of stockpile as a investment. But, only if you have enough other assets that are more quickly converted to cash if needed or a safe full of cash if an emergency arises. Items to barter in hard times is pretty smart. Alcohol, gasoline, food, ammo and so on will be worth more than cold hard cash depending on the scenario.

Not for me to judge, just seemed odd.

Edited by oldman
  • Like 1

Some federal auto match at the Rockwood Walmart at 830 still had about 25 boxes left. Had some 9mm but not much

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Federal auto match may well be my favorite of the 'bulk pack' stuff.  Hopefully I'll get to head to Rockwood this evening after work.  Double hopefully, maybe they'll have some left.  If so, they'll have two or three fewer when I get done.

Edited by JAB
I was in the Cool Springs WM at lunch and just happened by the sporting goods section as the lady was stocking about a dozen boxes of Federal 22lr 325ct boxes and one 100rd Federal 223 value pack. I grabbed a box of the 22 and the 223. The lady said thats about all the ammo they'd gotten in in several days.

Found myself over in Murvul today so popped by Bill's mainly to ogle guns, and lo and behold they had Tula .223 for 6.99 and PMC for 8.99, five box limit of each.

And dropped by Wally's there, too, and they had a few boxes of Tula .223, got my three for 5.27 each.

So all in all with taxes, 260 rounds for $105.34, or .40 per round, kind of amazing to get anything under .50 round in a brick and mortar, since haven't seen any for that since the election, let alone Sandy Hook.

- OS

I was in the Cool Springs WM at lunch and just happened by the sporting goods section as the lady was stocking about a dozen boxes of Federal 22lr 325ct boxes and one 100rd Federal 223 value pack. I grabbed a box of the 22 and the 223. The lady said thats about all the ammo they'd gotten in in several days.

Thanks for the heads-up! I picked up one of the 325 packs and there are now two left!

Walmart Turkey Creek has .40 jhp and Federal .380 as of 12:30 today. No 9 mm or .22 They restock ammo at noon.

This has pretty much put the kabosh on me being able to stop in on the way to work. Grrr... Edited by LawVol

Haven't kept up with much lately, but the walmart on the Volunteer Parkway in Bristol had 3 bulk 40 sw. I don't have anything in that, but just noticed it this evening. I think price was 89 and it was 250 rnds I think. Green and yellow box. I just glanced and am not familiar with that at all or if that is a good deal. Just saw it and thought I'd share.

Not Wal-Mart, but not worth starting a new thread. Gander Mountain in Turkey Creek has at least 30 350-rd Blazer Brass 9mm for $120, and around 6 1000-rd packs of Federal .223 for $600. Not "deals", but if you're in need it's there. .223 is behind the counter.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Edited by wewoapsiak

Not Wal-Mart, but not worth starting a new thread. Gander Mountain in Turkey Creek has at least 30 350-rd Blazer Brass 9mm for $120, and around 6 1000-rd packs of Federal .223 for $600. Not "deals", but I'd you're in need it's there. .223 is behind the counter.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Thanks for the update. But Gander Mt quit being a "deal" along time ago. They were great to buy hunting and reloading supplies from back in the 70's- 80's, worth the 150 mile round trip drive from northern Illinois to there store in Wisconsin. I wouldn't drive across town to buy from them these days. JMHO

• Like 1

Thanks for the update. But Gander Mt quit being a "deal" along time ago. They were great to buy hunting and reloading supplies from back in the 70's- 80's, worth the 150 mile round trip drive from northern Illinois to there store in Wisconsin. I wouldn't drive across town to buy from them these days. JMHO

Amen.....or even walk across the street.

I go into wal-mart here in Fayetteville on occasion. Just to see what type of ammo and how much they have. Nothing i need really, But a lot more than the Tullahoma store has. Haven't bought ammo in a month, and last time i Bought ammo it was the rarely seen .22 lr bulk pack at Dunhams.

I'm ok on ammo, since i stopped shooting as much.

Guest johnwhite

On our trip to Spring river, AR I mapped every Walmart from here to Thayer, MO. All of the TN stores were empty of what I wanted. First score was in West Memphis, AR, a mix of cal. but we got our 6 boxes. From there on it was easy filling the back seat and on the way back too. No 22s, no steel cases, all Federal, Remington and Winchester. The wife and kids are ready to go again.

Okay I have to ask, if there is this small amount of 22lr. available at all these different Wally world stores, where in the He77 is all the 22 that is being manufactured? I mean really if each plant makes 1 million rounds per day, that is a figure I have seen regularly on several sites. If they make 1 million rounds per day and are running 7 days a week and have been for months, where are the 30,60,90,or 180 million rounds from each plant going? I figured eventually everyone would have maxed out their cc on buying the up to $250 a brick bulk 22 ammo. I think I smell a rat, do you suppose that there is warehouses stacked to the ceiling waiting to dribble a bit here and there at inflated prices? A friend who is a dealer said he is getting a little from a supplier at $22 a brick and he is selling at $30 a brick, only problem is he isn't getting much and never knows when he will get any. What are ya'lls take on this deal? Mac

Okay I have to ask, if there is this small amount of 22lr. available at all these different Wally world stores, where in the He77 is all the 22 that is being manufactured? I mean really if each plant makes 1 million rounds per day, that is a figure I have seen regularly on several sites. If they make 1 million rounds per day and are running 7 days a week and have been for months, where are the 30,60,90,or 180 million rounds from each plant going? I figured eventually everyone would have maxed out their cc on buying the up to $250 a brick bulk 22 ammo. I think I smell a rat, do you suppose that there is warehouses stacked to the ceiling waiting to dribble a bit here and there at inflated prices? A friend who is a dealer said he is getting a little from a supplier at $22 a brick and he is selling at $30 a brick, only problem is he isn't getting much and never knows when he will get any. What are ya'lls take on this deal? Mac

If a single company is doing it, that's one thing.  They may be doing it so they always carry a surplus and are never out themselves.  Now, if a couple companies (or more) all agreed to do something like this ~ they'd be walking a very fine line.  Antitrust laws would then come in to play.

IMO ~ nothing fishy is going on.

Lets break down the numbers.

1,000,000 rounds per day from a single .22lr manufacturer

= 2,000 (500rd bricks)

Currently (from latest data) - Walmart U.S. has 4,049 stores.   This doesn't include the multitude of gun shops, online firearm ammo vendors, dicks sporting goods, bass pro, LE agencies, etc... etc....

If just taking in to account WALMART, in rough estimates, each Walmart from 1 manufacturer would get 1 brick, every 2 days (roughly 3.5 bricks per week).  That's not much.   With Walmart's (3) total box purchase ~ a single person at each Walmart can wipe the shelves clean each week. Granted ~ we just took the 1 million number from 1 single .22lr manufacturer, but you get the gist of it.

Hopefully that helps break it down for you a bit more :)

• Like 1

Adding to the 1,000,000/day manufacturing rate estimate, Federal and CCI allocated 20 day's worth of production to youth programs.

http://www.federalpremium.com/news/news_releases.aspx?id=454&brand=5&year=2013

That press release is dated May 2 so I don't know whether or not that ammo is promised or already distributed, either way it puts a significant dent in the supply.

• 2 weeks later...