What do you say when spotted?

Guest Cogent Design

I was beating feet back to TN last April on my motorcycle, trying to make my brothers funeral. I didnt want to attend but to keep peace in the family I decided to. Anyway, when I had packed up in the hotel that morning I had packed my vest. About mid day I stopped for gas and to get ice for the cooler that I had 10 pounds of HEB bacon in. :) So I take off my jacket and hit the head. As I was getting a bag of ice an older gent said I needed to get a better holster as I was printing very bad. I just told him that I usually have a vest on, but in my haste to get to TN for my brothers funeral I packed the vest. I had my XD with the XD gear holster at the 3 o'clock. Sitting on a motorcycle for 12 plus hours a day, I dont usually concern myself if my side arm happens to get exposed while riding. Yes I will pull my shirt down if I think it shows, but I dont sweat it. Anyway, the old guy back tracked, apologized and went on his way. LOL

Colostomy bag  , should get the subject changed pretty quick

Don't forget to ask, would you like to see it? No more questions, ever!

If I were asked (haven't been spotted so far) why I'm carrying I'd say "1 less gun in the hands of a bad guy, you're welcome".

I have been asked 2 times while open carrying. 

One just asked what kind of gun it was, that was about the end of it.

The second asked if it was a gun.  (380 Ruger LCP at the time that was exposed)  Thought it was kinda funny gas station worker.  Didn't seem to mind at all.  Just curious. 

I have been asked 2 times while open carrying. 
One just asked what kind of gun it was, that was about the end of it.
The second asked if it was a gun.  (380 Ruger LCP at the time that was exposed)  Thought it was kinda funny gas station worker.  Didn't seem to mind at all.  Just curious. 

You open carry a LCP? I thought the whole point of that design was for concealment. Seems as if you're going to open carry you might as well carry something with a larger round and more capacity.
  • Like 1

I do carry it concealed.  Just happed to grab it with an owb holster that day and my shirt pulled up when I got out of the truck.

Normally carry that one in the pocket.

I do carry it concealed.  Just happed to grab it with an owb holster that day and my shirt pulled up when I got out of the truck.
Normally carry that one in the pocket.

Ha, okay, I just saw that you said "OC" so I thought you were I intentionally open carrying it. I normally carry a 1911 OWB (shirt over it) but I have a TCP for back pocket carry when going certain places.

When open carrying I'm always polite and honest - "It's a 1911CS chambered in .45ACP and I carry it for various reasons, not the least of which is to enable me to protect myself, my family and the people around me.." etc etc etc and answer any questions they have.  I consider myself to have more responsibility to be open and honest when I'm carrying openly and honestly - and for that reason I don't carry open very often.  I'm way too snarky for that.

If I'm CCing (far more frequent) it depends on my mood.  Usually they'll get the same speech I'd give when open carrying (like the fellas at the game shop that shouted across the room "HEY!  GUY WITH THE GUN!  WHAT KINDA GUN IS THAT!?") but sometimes I'll be feeling extra snarky or grumpy and they get more fun answers.  It might be because I think it's a major invasion of privacy if you notice what I'm carrying in my pants or it might just be because I don't like their tone when they ask - but I've given answers like "Gun?  No way.  Guns hurt people - that's a personal defense projectile distribution device" or "Cops are too heavy to lug around." Most recently I made a gathered crowd at a supermarket laugh when a woman caught a glimpse of old Bella when I bent over to get a heavy dog food bag out of my cart.  She said "Is that a gun?  Can you have that here?" and I replied "Yeah, it's cool I'm with the band."

In your situation, I'd probably just say "It's an extra belt loop" or something and leave them to press what it's looping to. :P  In most situations, including at work, I've found if you are just honest and say it like it's no big deal. "Oh, that's the clip to my holster.  It's tough to cover when my shirt's tucked in" or whatever might go a long way.  If you don't make a big deal out of it, they might feel silly doing it.  While I agree you don't want to draw a lot of attention to it, lying might dig your hole deeper if someone who knows what it is complains.  If you're honest and some authority figure asks you about it, you can say you have never hid the fact that you carried and you didn't think it was a big deal.  As a manager, I'm always much more likely to crack the whip on questionable behavior if they're hiding it behind lies.  

- V

Edited by Viracnis

I have never been asked, nor do I believe anyone has noticed, but if I were asked I would hope I would just be honest with them and tell them "it is my handgun and I'm legal to carry it on my person and I am in an establishment that allows for me to carry" I believe if I were to tell them NOYB or F'off then it paints a poor picture of the law abiding, 2nd amendment believing individual that I believe myself to be.

• Like 1

I only had been 'spotted' once and that was at a doctor's office when i had to do an employment drug test and empty my pockets.  No big deal.  Other than that no one has said anything to me and I have carried a gun for over ten years.

"Mine's not as big as Dirty Harry's, so I rather not talk about it.  Okay???"

If in public, depending on the presumed mentality of the person asking, I would tell them what it really is with no qualms.  If I was somewhere where CC was not allowed, I'd use the popular answer of "medical."