255 members have voted

1. 1. Do you open, conceal carry, or both.

• Conceal
    • Open
    • Both

Anyone know where I can get a rail mount for my carry badge? The last time I went deep concealed with my ar pistol it required a proctologist because it was only taped on there. Thanks in advance.

On a more serious note, once I do obtain my HCP I'll more than likely carry with my t-shirt, jacket, etc over it. When I have my son in the chest carry sling I may open carry because who's really gonna be worried about the guy with an infant strapped to his chest lol. He gets all the attention anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

A fellow open carried into my workplace last week and scared all the idiot sheep.  I tried to explain to the powers that be about carry laws and how they have been on the books for 20 years or so, but you can't fix stupid.  Now we are getting posted.  Thanks, nimrod. 

A fellow open carried into my workplace last week and scared all the idiot sheep. I tried to explain to the powers that be about carry laws and how they have been on the books for 20 years or so, but you can't fix stupid. Now we are getting posted. Thanks, nimrod.

Yeah shame on that guy. How dare we practice our second amendment rights? Until more people stop giving a shit what the sheep think, and care more about keeping their rights, then we will continue tonlose our rights at an astonishing rate.

Tapatalk ate my spelling.

• Like 2

Yeah shame on that guy. How dare we practice our second amendment rights? Until more people stop giving a #### what the sheep think, and care more about keeping their rights, then we will continue tonlose our rights at an astonishing rate.

Tapatalk ate my spelling.

Those sheep have rights too including the right to vote and to put pressure on their elected officials...doing things we know will scare them and cause them to react negatively doesn't do the firearms community any favors at all and most certainly will not help us restore that rights WE have let be infringed.

It's wonderful to say we have the "right" to do this or that but there is also a reality we have to live in that we ignore to our own detriment.

• Like 2

Lots of very interesting discussion in this post, good reading. I prefer concealed although I respect those who open carry. Saw a young man in Wally World last week with an XD on his hip no one called the cops or made a scene. That is one place where I always make sure I can protect myself maybe I'll try OC once and see how it feels. The majority of the time I prefer not to make myself a target the exception being when I ride my motorcycle and then it's on my hip covered by a shirt or vest. I am always mindful to be respectful and polite; that's just something I try to do wherever I am. Being raised in the South that was something I learned at a very young age and appreciate more as I grow older.

He could have easily and just as effectively exercised his second amendment rights without sabotaging yours and mine if he had used a little discretion. We would be wise to remember that the sheep, dumb as they may be, sometimes determine where we can and cannot exercise our second amendment rights.
  • Administrator

He could have easily and just as effectively exercised his second amendment rights without sabotaging yours and mine if he had used a little discretion. We would be wise to remember that the sheep, dumb as they may be, sometimes determine where we can and cannot exercise our second amendment rights.

I've been screaming this for years.  Belligerence tends to trump common sense in threads like this.   :shake:

• Like 2
Guest kcb37

I open and conceal.

Sometimes it depends on the mood, sometimes the place.

Today I put some ramp assist on my trailer.  (makes a huge difference if anyone cares, ramp goes up by itself now)  Wearing a "tighter t-shirt, tight being slightly loose"  I am 160 pounds 5'10" I usually wear an xl. 

With a SW SD40 VE in an owb holster the barrel kinda sticks out alittle.  I am in Clarksville made 2 trips to Grandpas hardware store to get bolts for the ramp assist.  Not a problem at all.

Walked all over Lowes on Wilma Roudolph and Home Depot open carry.  (think black gun, silver slide not shiny but silver)  Not a word from anyone also had a return at lowes. 

Had an officer pull over a car at the end of my driveway toady, of course me moving stuff bending over reaching up my gun did not stay covered.  Rode the mower to the neighbors house, of course the officer made  a pass around the court.  Never stopped.

I have had "off the top of my head" three instances that someone has said anything to me.

One at a gas station the clerk asked if it was a gun.  Said yeah.  Ok.

Second guy at the trash collection center.  Guy asked what kinda gun I had. 

Last so far.  Guy at a gas station, let me see that 9.  Told him it wasn't a 9 was infact a 40 caliber.  Said he would pay $400 right their.  Not someone I would sell a gun to from the first impression.

However I have yet to have a bad experience.  Have been more, but those were the ones people have not been afraid to say something.

I will agree with the good an bad.  Good you can educate people, bad well sometimes people freak out. 

So far from this thread seems like even open carrying is pretty positive.  More good then bad. 

With my experience and all the talk here, seems open carry is not the bad thing that many lead on to.

Do what you want, just know it can turn into a bad situation.

I am in Clarksville made 2 trips to Grandpas hardware store to get bolts for the ramp assist.

Last I heard Grandpas was posted. I haven't been in there for probably 8-9 years now due to an extremely unprofessional gun counter staff, but I've heard from others that they are posted.
I dont open carry unless at home.

I usually carry my G19 in a Galco OWB holster (combat master). I guess you call it level 1 retention? I will not carry a holster in public with a snap or anything else holding it aside from tension, im not that paranoid. I always have either a tshirt over it or a jacket/coat over it so technically its CC but usually prints in someway. Im 6'4" 220lbs and havent found anything that doesnt print in someway.

I also pocket carry a j frame either as a BUG or as discrete carry if the situation dictates it Edited by nightrunner

A fellow open carried into my workplace last week and scared all the idiot sheep.  I tried to explain to the powers that be about carry laws and how they have been on the books for 20 years or so, but you can't fix stupid.  Now we are getting posted.  Thanks, nimrod. 

A perfect example of why I don't open carry.

• Like 2
Guest MiniGunGal

After reading all of the input on this discussion, it seems to me the middle/western part of the state (Nashville, etc) is more open minded about OC.  Living in East TN, there seem to be many more sheeple who will react negatively when running into someone exercising their rights.

For that reason, I make a habit of Concealing.  Makes me wish we were a little more progressive over here....  :shake:

MiniGunGal

I like how you equate exercising rights with sabotage. That was a nice touch. :sarcasm:

This is the kind of statement that gets out rights taken away one step at a time, when even gun carriers can't support other gun carriers. 

Also, deerslayer, your boss is the nimrod, not the OCer. 

Seriously guys, stop blaming other gun owners who are going about their daily business. I'm not talking about the Kwik's, I'm talking about the average folks like you and me who happen to stick their shirt on the inside of their firearm. This kind of nonsense is absolutely shameful coming from a "pro-2a" group of people. We stand together or we fall together. Period.

• Like 1
  • Administrator

This is the kind of statement that gets out rights taken away one step at a time, when even gun carriers can't support other gun carriers. 

Seriously guys, stop blaming other gun owners who are going about their daily business. I'm not talking about the Kwik's, I'm talking about the average folks like you and me who happen to stick their shirt on the inside of their firearm. This kind of nonsense is absolutely shameful coming from a "pro-2a" group of people. We stand together or we fall together. Period.

Being a pro-2nd Amendment group of people does not require that we all support your method of carry.  It's a nice tactic to try and shame everyone into agreeing with you, but it's been tried before and it doesn't hold water.

• Like 1

Being a pro-2nd Amendment group of people does not require that we all support your method of carry.  It's a nice tactic to try and shame everyone into agreeing with you, but it's been tried before and it doesn't hold water.

damn wish I had thought of that

I don't see the reason for all the argument. I do both depending on where I'm going. I have yet to have the cops called, no one has screamed and ran away, etc.

IMO OC should be done in a polite respectful way. This allows exposure. Exposure leads to indifference. The more we expose people to the polite gun owner the more support we can get. There is a time and place for everything.

There is also the problem that arises from bickering amongst ourselves. If enough support could be gathered to change our HCP to a ccl then how big of a step is it to eliminate it all together? While we may not agree on one style of carrying, we should be united in supporting any style of carrying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Being a pro-2nd Amendment group of people does not require that we all support your method of carry. It's a nice tactic to try and shame everyone into agreeing with you, but it's been tried before and it doesn't hold water.

Not trying to shame, trying to point out the truth of the matter that we have to support each other. I could care less if somebody prefers CC to OC. In fact, I rarely OC in public. But when we stoop to calling other carriers "nimrods" for carrying in a way that's comfortable to them, we are seriously hurting our cause.

Not trying to shame, trying to point out the truth of the matter that we have to support each other. I could care less if somebody prefers CC to OC. In fact, I rarely OC in public. But when we stoop to calling other carriers "nimrods" for carrying in a way that's comfortable to them, we are seriously hurting our cause.

It depends on which cause you are talking about. We don’t have a second amendment right in this state to carry a firearm; we have a privilege that we buy from the state.

If you get a right to carry it is going to come from the state of Tennessee; not from the 2nd amendment. I don’t see that happening soon; but Tennessee could become number 5 on a short list of states that recognize carry off your property as a right.... who knows.

I appreciate that I can carry a gun most places I go to. It’s usually not an issue because no one knows I’m carrying. Even though it is not a right I don’t want to lose that.

I don’t conceal for that reason though; my experience tells me it’s not smart to open carry. Of course that’s what the whole debate is about.

My point is that many gun owners draw an arbitrary line on which expressions of gun rights they support and which ones they don't. Joe Manchin is still considered by many to be pro-2A (general term for pro-gun rights), but most on this board would say that he is not because he supported universal background checks regardless of how he has voted on other issues in the past. In 1934 we lost rights because all gun owners didn't stand for the group that owned SBR's and SOS's. In 1968, we lost more. In 1986, full auto manufacturing was eliminated because most gun owners didn't see the need for full autos. It happened again in 1994.

These instances of losing rights did not happen because people exercised their rights to own these types of weapons before the bans. We all agree that thinking so would be out of line. We lost those rights because gun owners did not support all gun rights. If OC is lost because most gun owners didn't care, they will come after CC with more vigor and momentum.