Tennessee gun shows

I for one I'm not about to spend $10 for the privilege of going into a gun show to look at over priced merchandise. why would I want to spend $10 to buy a $30 accessory and pay tax when I can go online and get it cheaper? I'm not saying that all of the merchants are over priceing things but there are enough of them to make the whole thing not worthwhile.
Guest nra37922

Good. They're already too crowded.

I could probably get some better deals if only 2,000 showed up instead of 20,000. ;)

- OS

Agree 100%. 

The last two guns shows were very productive for me. I got 3 guns and sold one. All that for 2 days for $10? When the dolls, candles and detergeant folks 

takeover the gun shows then I'll stop going. I always go with a mind to get a few things and end up buying guns and stuff.

You, Sir, are interested in just a few accessories and it might be more productive to buy on line. Personally, I'm not fond of shipping charges.

I decided I was looking for a 45-70 and can't wait to see what shows up at the next gun show.

Lp

I for one I'm not about to spend $10 for the privilege of going into a gun show to look at over priced merchandise. why would I want to spend $10 to buy a $30 accessory and pay tax when I can go online and get it cheaper? I'm not saying that all of the merchants are over priceing things but there are enough of them to make the whole thing not worthwhile.

Personally I'm with you 100%. Haven't been to a gun show in almost a calendar year. For me I decided that the parking price and the ticket price and the $8.00 glasses of coke just weren't worth it for me. If I want to shop guns I make a tour of a few local shops and am much happier that way. I guess both of us are making it better for those who want to attend by not showing up, I just can't see the draw anymore.

The gun shows of my youth were so much better, I remember walking through several airplane hanger sized buildings packed wall to wall with sellers from all over the country. The buildings were on average about six times larger than any of the shows I've been to in the Nashville area and there were usually 3-4 buildings open at a time.

Guess I'm just spoiled.
Gun shows today are not like the 1970/80's. They changed in the 90's. They use to be free to get in. Good cheap food and drink. Could get all the parts to build a complete 1911. Not today. Cover charge, high price food along with knifes and beef jerky. I might go to one this year if I don't' have something better to do.
Guest RedLights&Sirens
I dont make a buttload of money but I dont mind the $10. Sure its a lot and I agree with the point that online is cheaper but I have an issue with buying stuff online, I can only see pictures. In person I can hold it and get a feel for it and decide if I like it or not. I can do that for free in stores of course, if they have it.
Guest Travtastik
Some shows are worth the money and some are not. I started working the shows last year and I can see why some people wouldn't go back to one. Tons of filler tables like Girl Scout cookies, dream catchers, heat packs and cooking samples.

Also a lot of tables seem to not want to help you, or have the buy something or leave mentality.
I had a unique experience being my first time to a show this year. Ammo has been marked up 300%. Every 500 count brick of 22LR was $79 except toward the back. I met a man selling it for $45. He said this was his last show, but here is where it gets interesting. A vender a couple tables away came and bought all his 22LR and immediately made it available for sale at $79.

It was comforting to see that ammo was not flying off the tables. Edited by D3vo

I had a unique experience being my first time to a show this year. Ammo has been marked up 300%. Every 500 count brick of 22LR was $79 except toward the back. I met a man selling it for $45. He said this was his last show, but here is where it gets interesting. A vender a couple tables away came and bought all his 22LR and immediately made it available for sale at $79.

You might be surprised (or maybe not) how much that very thing happens at gun shows.

Today's gunshow atendee isn't the same as a few years ago. For the most part, I do not like the change, and haven't been to a show in quite a while. I'm not saying I'll never go to another one, but I'm not going to all of them within driving distance like I used to.

I'm done with gun shows , back in the day about 15 years ago it was great thay where large it would take a whole day to walk though it and still not see it all , now you can see nothing but junk and see it in 30 min. Not waisting my time ill jest support my local gun shops , and save money in the long run.
  • Like 1
Lowpower,
Your condescending tone of addressing me as "you sir" doesn't alter the fact that some dealers have shown their true colors by taking advantage of a most likely planned shortage of ammo and the resulting panic. .556 rounds that sold for 50 cents a round went as high as $1 + I've spent plenty at shows I'll just be less inclined to go now.
Those greedy dealers will find less loyal customers because of this.

I consider going to a gun show entertainment.  Most anything that is entertaining now costs money so the entry fee is not a deal breaker.

I can't find Mosin Nagant magazine/trigger guard bolts anyplace else, I stumbled upon the one I needed at the last show.  That in itself made it worthwhile.  I barely even handle any guns, maybe a milsurp or two at best.  It is just fun to look around, people watch and BS with the guys I go with.

As for overpriced wares, no one is making anyone buy it.

Back in the 80s you could buy ANYTHING gun related at a gun show....the top shelf stuff, too.
I remember seeing a vendor scrimshaw a grip on the spot and another hand tool a gun belt.
There were good deals, food, and low prices.

Now, it's mostly tasers, lighters, airsoft, and Chinese made knives.

This is not to say there's a few quality vendors and gun dealers at shows....You just have to know who and what you're looking for....

Gun dealing is a better business to be in these days. Most gun dealers weren't as well known back then as they are now. Even the little "hole in the wall" gun dealer has an established clientele these days and really doesn't need to venture to a gun show to sell his wares.

I think as gun shows caught on, not only did the admission go up, but the price of a vendor table went up, too.

I don't know why vendors should have to pay a trmendous price for a table when Bill Goodman, Kenny Smith and the like are making a killing at the door.

The only reason I can figure the high price of everything is the high cost of rental and insurance on the venue.

My :2cents:

The internet killed gun shows (as well as ham radio shows, computer shows, etc.). You can buy and sell anything you want right here.

Why would a dealer drag all his guns out to a gun show and discount them? He has no reason to. He will sell everything he has without the cost of going to a show. Used guns are being priced at or above new gun prices and they appear to be selling.

More and more manufacturers are getting into making guns and gun parts. Eventually the fear of legislation will end, supply will overwhelm demand and we will see prices fall. Then we might see the gun shows get interesting again.

The last gun show I went to I carried a gun into the show in its case because I wanted to try to find a holster. I was hit with 3 or 4 guys wanting to know what I had and how much I wanted as I walked through the door. Flipping guns, although illegal, has become a business for a lot of people.

The amount of money we spend every day on crap, I don't mind dropping $10 to wander around looking at guns. Sometimes I hit a good deal, sometimes I don't buy anything.

If I took the family out for an afternoon at the mall, it would cost me ten times more, and I wouldn't have any fun at all.

The amount of money we spend every day on crap, I don't mind dropping $10 to wander around looking at guns. Sometimes I hit a good deal, sometimes I don't buy anything.

If I took the family out for an afternoon at the mall, it would cost me ten times more, and I wouldn't have any fun at all.

You got that right!