School me on gun belts.

I normally carry an LCP in the pocket so I never had to worry about a holster.  I'd like to start to carry a Sig P228 when I 'want a little more'.  I have a nice leather Galco 1 3/4 holster for it.  Eventually, I'd like to do some IDPA type shooting using either likely a 1911 (see my WANTED for a 1911 holster in the classifieds).

It just arrived - a Bianchi Nylon Gun Belt (model 7202). 

I'll admit, I'm a little perplexed on how to use this.  It's REALLY thick and fat.  I think it won't fit most of my pants' loops.  My biggest issue is that it's REALLY tight on the Galco 1 3/4 holster.  And It always requires the removal of the buckle whenever you want to remove the holster or put it into different pairs of pants (needing to bend the ends each time as that's how it holds the buckles to the belt (i assume frequent removals and bending of the belt will deem weaker with time).  Or is this gun belt supposed to be used WITH a regular belt and this just hangs on your torso like a hula hoop but it holds your gun/stuff (like a cowboy's belt from the movies) so I adjust it once and just put it on top when I'm ready to 'run'.  (I'm thinking a need a riggers belt for EDC and maybe should have gotten that instead)

Is this belt only designed for those plastic type holsters and not really a leather one? (I can see it fitting/holding a plastic/kydex holster much better).

Thank you; I look forward to your input/information.

DRAT.  I've been looking at Amazon on what I should have gotten.   (rigger style belt)

The description/comments state, "Nice belt for 3 gun competitions". 

To make sure I understand this right, 'cop duty belts', they wear these in addition to their belts that hold their pants up?  So they do just 'hang there' on top of their other belt?

ah. I just discovered 'belt keepers'.

I'm going to use this gun belt until I really want to carry the Sig (and then I'll get the riggers belt) but for competitions, i think I just need the holster for the 1911 and then some belt keepers to attach to my regular belt. 

Yes, this looks like a gun belt that you wear as a belt over a normal trouser belt, which is similar to a police duty belt.  You secure it to your trouser belt with a set of belt keepers.  I have a similar setup for my competition gear (whenever I manage to find time to get back to the range).  The benefit to this setup is that you can leave all of your gear in the same position on the belt and just take it on and off as needed.  It also provides a much more stable platform for your holster than a trouser belt alone.  IMHO, that is the best way to go.

Double layer stitched 1.5in leather belt will mold to your body and provide the stable platform for any OWB carry.  Regardless of who makes your custom belt, it should be high on your consideration list if OWB is in your future for competition or conceal carry.  If carrying with dress pants often, consider getting 1.25in width.  Feel free to contact me if I can be of any help.

Rob

Thanks for the info guys.  I'll get the belt keepers, add the holster and mag holders and I look forward to it!

I'll get a riggers belt later on when I need a belt to facilitate a IWB or OWB carry; for now, it looks like this will work out well.

I know this isn't what you asked about but for future reference...

I can recommend a very good belt maker "oldfatguy" (no relation).  http://www.oldfatguy.com/

He makes belts by hand, to order and even his thinnest belts are more than sufficient to hold up a holstered weapon and the width choices let's you chose what you need to fit most normal pant belt loops. Plus, they are attractive enough that the "uninitiated" won't see any difference between them and a "normal" flimsy belt.

I bought an Amish belt from hanksclothing.com
It's cheap and you could tow a tank with it. I got a 1.5 inch width. The only pants the belt loops are kind of tight on are dickies.
Guest etnsr9c
Get a wilderness tactical with the polymer liner in it and don't look back, if you live around Knoxville or Nashville they can be bought locally art Greens Military and Police
I really like my Ares Ranger Belt Enhanced. I do have to remove the buckle to fit some dressier jeans but fits great with all my cargo khakis. They do make some lighter duty belts but I really like the extra strength. Plus you can customize the colors.

I use a Original SOE GEar 1.5" Cobra Duty Belt.  Its thick and works great.  It has the Cobra buckle which I like way better than the standard instructor belt buckles.  Easy and quick opening/closing for those  delicate times you need to take your pants down, lol.  My problem is mine is a tad too small and they just dont allow for a lot of size adjustment.  I shoulda ordered a bigger one.  Anyway, I had been looking at a Crosstac belt at LApolicegear.com but cch2a's post  made me look at the Ares Ranger Belt... the style of attaching 1" webbing to 1 1/2" webbing allows for a wider range of adjustment...so I am thinking of ordering one of those soon.  A good belt makes ALL the difference in the world.

Use what you bought as a range belt. For carry, take a look at these Beltman belts. They aren’t cheap, but mine still looks nearly new after 3 years of everyday wear. My 1.5” will go through the loops of Levis and most other pants, other than some dress slacks. It’s a solid belt that will hold up anything you put on it.
http://www.thebeltman.net/bh112.htm

To make sure I understand this right, 'cop duty belts', they wear these in addition to their belts that hold their pants up?  So they do just 'hang there' on top of their other belt?

Many use a Velcro under belt that holds the duty belt in place. You can also use belt keepers. If you need some belt keepers check out Greene’s Military on Lebanon Pike. While there have them show you the Safariland Duty Belt set-up with the Velcro under belt for the next time you need a competition belt.
  • Like 1

Use what you bought as a range belt. For carry, take a look at these Beltman belts. They aren’t cheap, but mine still looks nearly new after 3 years of everyday wear. My 1.5” will go through the loops of Levis and most other pants, other than some dress slacks. It’s a solid belt that will hold up anything you put on it.

Another vote for Beltman belts.  I've worn mine daily for at least 5 years.  It's great.

Get a wilderness tactical with the polymer liner in it and don't look back, if you live around Knoxville or Nashville they can be bought locally art Greens Military and Police

I use the Wilderness Tactical Frequent Flyer EZE fit.  Check 'em out here:  http://www.thewilderness.com/index.php?p=product&id=2478&parent=142

They are light and strong.  I use the 3 stitch version.

leroy

OP, I'm currently on my second Wilderness Tactical Frequent Flyer belt.  My first one was the traditional 5-stitch unlined version, and it answered the mail for my every day carry (Glock 19 in a Raven Concealment Phantom OWB, with 1 RCS mag pouch).  That belt lasted for four years.

I currently use the polymer-lined version of the same belt.  These days I usually carry AIWB (either with my Dale Fricke Archangel or my RCS VG2), and this form of carry with the FF belts requires a little buckle-location shifting.  Still doable, though. 

If I was a first-time gun belt purchaser, I'd really look into the Frequent Flyer directly from Wilderness Tactical, follow the sizing method on their website, then order the 1.5" width belt with the polymer lining.  You'll end up with a very strong, lightweight and durable belt that will give you years of service, and won't cost you an arm and a leg, either.

http://www.thewilderness.com/index.php?p=product&id=2503&parent=142

HTH.

Edited by Spurholder
  • Like 1

thanks a lot for the suggestions.

Instead of returning the gun, I'll make it work with the belt keepers.   It's going to be bulkier but it sounds like a 'duty' type belt does what it's designed to do well.  I'll later invest in another belt for EDC.  For now, especially with how hot it is, pocket carrying an LCP is just fine.

I will plan a trip to Greene's though and check out their holsters.  (I'll probably start another thread on advice for a 1911 holster soon). 

I've had a couple custom made (expensive) leather belts. In the end, they all suck because they WILL take a set. Even e last ne I had made which was two 1/8" thick layers with a latigo liner. It was tough but it soaked up sweat and eventually turned crooked as a snake.

I have been wearing a Galco reinforced instructors belt for a few years now and I will buy another one. It's still as straight as the day I bought it. I took some serious getting used to because its so stiff, but I love it. I carry a G19 at 3'oclock in a Serpa every day. It does not swag sway or move. It's there.
YMMV.

For a belt to be IDPA legal it must go through the belt loops of your pants.

So, strapping that belt to your inner belt with keepers, is NOT IDPA legal.

That's not to say that every club will call you on it when you go shoot, but it will be enforced in sanctioned matches. Thought you'd want to know that.

Edited by BigK

www.thebeltman.net if you want a heavy leather belt that looks line a bluejeans / chino belt but is thick enough to carry the weight of your handgun.

Another vote for Beltman belts.  I've worn mine daily for at least 5 years.  It's great.

Bout 4 years daily on my Beltman Bullhide 1.5". Best belt I've ever had, packing or not.

Yes, it has taken a set. But, you know,  it's set to me. :)

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot