Anybody practice drawing when buckled in your car?

So I was going to watch my nephew play football after work yesterday.  As I am driving down the road I decide to go on and unholster before I get on school property.  Between the seat belt buckle and my short tail, I had a harder time than expected unholstering.  I normally carry at about the 3:30 position in an iwb holster.

I am going to start practicing drawing when buckled.  Anybody else do this?

I have started putting mine in the door compartment.  Being left handed, it is a great location for me.  Drawing from the body in the car was not working out, and while I could probably find a way to  make it work, this method is the best I have found so far.   

I normally carry owb, so I added another holster in the truck. I slip it in that one and lay it in the pass. seat when I climb in. I need to add one to the ubderside of the dash instead.

Tapatalk ate my spelling.

I keep an extra pistol in the truck which is accessible one handed. I used to unholster when going through congested areas or slow areas that were questionable. Now I don't have to worry about screwing around with my EDC.
  • Like 2

I have started putting mine in the door compartment.  Being left handed, it is a great location for me.  Drawing from the body in the car was not working out, and while I could probably find a way to  make it work, this method is the best I have found so far.   

This.  I pocket carry a lot and its effectively impossible to draw quickly from my pocket while driving. 

I don't.  I made the decision some time ago to, along with my carry weapon (holstered) I keep a second (identical firearm) on my passenger seat in a holder so that all I have to do is reach over the the seat and have it in my hand.

Trying to draw while seated and especially if seat belted (and I have an armrest on my holster side that would also be in the way) simply takes too much time (plus the weapons serve as BUG to each other).

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Two options, one of them already getting good press above:  

1.  Have second, easily-accessible gun permanently in vehicle.  I do this; there aren't a lot of carry options that are car-friendly.  All the carry options that work best for me are rotten from in a car.

2.  If you find yourself having to draw from inside a car, remove your seat belt FIRST.  You want to have the option of mobility, and if you draw first you're pretty much going to ensure that an arm and probably the pistol is going to end up tangled in the seat belt.  Do train this, since it will not happen flawlessly without practice, and for darn sure not the first time under stress.  While your strong hand grips the gun still holstered, unlock seat belt with other hand and throw it out of the way.

• 1 month later...

I have a backup holster installed on right side of steering column and when I get in car I put my carry gun in it until I am ready to get out. Once I unhook my seat beat I place my gun back in my belt holster and exit the car. Took me a long time to find a holster that was suited for the job and ended up modifying one to do the job. Thought about keeping a back up gun in vehicle but vehicle does not have an alarm system so thought better of it..............jmho

Guest 95thbonehead

I mounted one on the right side of the center console of my BMW. As a left handed person it is hard to draw. I have trained and trained so I can shoot almost as well with either hand so this works out just fine.