Trying to play the Walmart .22 game

Hey all. I haven't bought any quantity of .22 to speak of since all this crap began. I've been patiently waiting for the craze to die down so I can walk into Wally World and occasionally buy one brick. Judging by what I'm reading here and elsewhere, things really are improving. Tonight at Wally on Charlotte in Nashville there seemed to be plenty of everything - except of course .22.

Talked to the ammo counter guy a bit the last few times I've been by to check, and apparently they get a fair quantity in, but there are ten old retired idiots in line to snatch it up as soon as it comes off the truck at 7 AM "to prepare for the apocalypse," in their own words.

So after having time to process this, it just makes me mad. Now, I wouldn't pee on a reseller if they were on fire, but why should these guys continue to pad their already very comfortable stashes (that will probably be largely untouched when they die) while guys like me can't even plink. In short, I've had enough. Not that I expect people to be unselfish, especially in the face of any kind of shortage, but enough is enough. I'm determined to get a brick, and a few over time, of .22. Thing is I have several finicky .22s, and the ammo they all agree on is a Federal bulk. So beggars can't be choosers, but I am really looking for a Federal brick. Automatch would of course be fine as well.

SO - sorry for the rant. The point of this thread is to ask whether anyone can give a heads-up on getting some .22 in the Nashville area. I don't have the luxury of being able to be at Walmart every morning at 6:30 just in case some .22 comes in, unlike the Old Moron Hoarder/Reseller/Wannabe Survivalist Brigade. Anybody know of a Walmart that gets .22 on a semi-regular basis? And approximately what time it tends to come in?

Thanks for the help, all. Ordinary guys unite! Down with in-line-every-day fudds!! Edited by theTastyCat
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of.

As far as getting 22 elsewhere, I haven't ever seen Federal bricks locally. If it can be found online, the shipping totally kills it. Walmart may be next to impossible to find without being a 6am idiot, but they do order what I'm looking for.

There is a silver lining to all of this with the bullet bozo's.

The next time you see one, smile and say. "It sure will be nice when you're dead and buried and I can buy up your .22LR ammo from your 

widow for 25c a box. Ya'll have a nice day now".  :)

Lp

• Like 7

I've heard the same story from the sporting goods guy at my local Wallyworld.  He says the same couple of guys come in almost every morning and buy up all of the 9mm and .22.  He said he thinks one of them represents the LGS which I'm sure means they buy up what they can and sell it at quite a markup across the street.

If you want to buy .22 at a WalMart you'll need to:

1)  Talk (or pay) the sporting goods goober into telling you what's in the next daily shipment.
2)  Get there at AM with your lounge chair and camp out.

The usual suspects typically get there at 4:00am for the 7:00am rollout at my local Wally World. Gave up months ago trying it outlast the retired resellers.

The WalMart closest to me also has the same group of 5-7 guys every morning, or they did last time I was through at that time.I never made a special trip to be there at that time but on three occasions I had to be on that side of town early so just left a few minutes early. They had coolers pulled off the shelves to sit on and had dented the tops near about wrong side out to the point they no longer sealed up and probably could not be sold as well as one guy who had pulled the display model camp cot of the shelf and was laying on it 2 off the times. I happened to walk in beside the counter and turned to walk up the isle and was quickly informed that the line started "back there". After listening to them talk for 5 minutes I was certain at least two of them were buying to resell and one guy I recognized from the range... The guy I recognized happens to be one of the guys offering the bargain basement, large class size HCP courses. I thought he must be buying ammo so that he could provide for people taking his class but after listening to the chatter I became suspicious the he too was buying it to resell.The other two times I looked to see if there were people waiting and if so to see if they were in fact the same people... My findings were yes and yes.

Video them with your cell phone to post it online and watch them all run off.

If they threaten you for videoing, report them to police with a 911 call from the same phone.

Walmart ought to overstamp its ammo with a big red "Wal-Mart" stamp to cut down on this nonsense.

Edited by QuietDan
  • Like 2

....Talked to the ammo counter guy a bit the last few times I've been by to check, and apparently they get a fair quantity in, but there are ten old retired idiots in line to snatch it up as soon as it comes off the truck at 7 AM "to prepare for the apocalypse," in their own words.

The only thing they are preparing for is to pad their bank accounts by reselling the ammo for a profit.

- OS

I understand that Bass Pro is a very successful place to  buy 22 ammo.  My retired dad who was too cranky to join the 7am club at Walmart, instead joined the 9am Bass Pro club.  He has been quite successful with CCI, his preferred brand. 

BTW - Many many flea markets in the Knoxville area have 22 ammo, wonder if their supply chain is better than Walmart.  Hmmmm.    One more Sherlock Holmes observation, those flea marketeers appear old enough to be retirees from somewhere.   Hmmmmm.   

The Wal-Mart near me empties the truck every evening at 1900. There are usually a few people waiting when I arrive but I've been able to score a few 325 round boxes of .22lr over the past few months and even some 50 round boxes of CCI which I gave to a coworker who needed it more than I did.

It's been a year now and you would think the manufacturers would have expanded their production by now to handle this demand. It's quite baffling. 

Edited by Erik88

Oh, I'm just kinda glad i won't have to dealwith these resellers who come in lat after the truck is unloaded. Seemed they knew when we were getting .22 in before anyone else did. One night we were supposed to get some in, I guess a sporting goods clerk told some guys and it spread like wildfire. But none came in, and those idiots waited for nothing. Now i think they don't tell anyone what is coming in anymore. We would tell people when they asked "when are you getting some more in" we don't know, they would have to call the store around 8 pm. 

I got what i needed and i doubt i need anymore. Family got what they needed and no more. So we aren't selling any of our ammo either.

Not sure I'd call retiries diots. They might forget things due to old age but they're born in a time where they worked hard to earn what they got.

While I'm not retired I do look forward to the day I can. 

As far as young folks of today. Unfortunately, they will work until they die if our Nation lets the politico's rule instead of serve. And that is in the youngun's hands to fix.

Ammo bozo's ain't all retired either....

Lp

• Like 1
I thought Walmart had a one-box limit on 22 bricks. How are the "professional ammo stalkers" able to still buy it all up before it hits the shelves? If employees or owners from LGS are doing this and marking it up, I would like to know which LGSs are doing this. I might show up at my local Walmart a couple of mornings at delivery time just to see if I recognize any faces that try to sell it for higher. On the bright side, I can find Most other calibers in stock at Wally's again

I've scored a few bricks at good prices at Cabelas over the last year. I've cut back my 22 shooting significantly and now shoot my AR cheaper. Edited by Batman
Guest TankerHC
I get out and have time now and then I'll hit the same 3 or 4 places. Every time I go in I buy because except for one time last week there has been ammo available and no one there at 10 o'clock and later. Academy has removed there. 22 from the front counter and put it back behind the gun counter in plain view. That's their step next to putting it back on the shelf. Last week I was in there and they had a pile of. 22, plenty of people there and only me and another person even looking at it. Last week Sportsmans Warehouse had about 20 people in line and I take it for granted that at least the majority were, like me there to buy it to shoot. Speaking with 3 or 4 people in line there is no doubt they were but SW had more than enough on the shelves of. 22 and 22 mag. I also have some promised out to people here who can't get to it because of work or other commitments. I shoot it and now with 3 new 22 owners in the family it doesn't do a lot of good to own a 22 without ammo. But Walmart is a different story. I keep getting the same story from the gun counter people every time I stop in. Have no intention of buying it but interested to know why I can pick up 22 anywhere but have yet to see a single round of 22 at the biggest retailer on earth. Same as the OP. "Well soon as its here same xxxx number of guys here soon as it hits the shelves". But then again they may be shooting it. I am. Thing is I know people right here that are 22 guy's. Most if not all of their guns are 22s cause they just like 22s. And a lot of people were caught short and couldn't even shoot for 4 months. I saw over and over "this is bs, I can't even take my kid to the range for some father son time" To those people I say more power to ya, don't get caught short again. Buy it all if you can. I own 5 or 6 other calibers. I don't walk into a store selling ammo now that I don't walk out with at least one box of ammo. Don't care if I only have a spare 5 bucks. I'm not going to be one of those guys AGAIN saying " man if I could get just a box of xx caliber, I don't even care if it's junk. Plenty available but I'm not paying 125 bucks for 550 rounds of white box". Never again. Even 5 bucks gets me a box of dove or target loads.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Guest TankerHC

"Old retired idiots". Thanks for the kind words, you YOUNG WHIPPERSNAPPER!

Hey Enfield those guys will one day be old retired idiots. Then they will be complaining about the 100 year old drivers who cut them off complaining how someone "that old" can even keep a damn license. Wonder what the 85 - 100 year Olds complain about. Lol

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

...Wonder what the 85 - 100 year Olds complain about. Lol

My 88 year old mom: the young whippersnappers that whiz around her to beat the light and then cram on the brakes right in front of her when they don't. And all the young idiots who are still turning in intersections on red.

She's still the same driver she was at 30, btw -- which is to say, quite bad. And can't back 20 feet in a straight line.

- OS

• Like 1