Best 1911 for 1100?

that_guy

33 members have voted

1. 1. Which one of these would you recommend for first handgun(1911 heavy)

• Colt MK IV Series 70
    • Colt O1980XSE
    • Kimber Custom II
    • Springfield GI
    • Beretta 92fs
    • other (please comment)

I'm looking for my first handgun. I'm leaning toward the 1911 because, well, why not? "specifically" if you want to call it that, I am looking for a Government model, best overall quality as possible from the factory without having to "kitchen gunsmith it," i.e. reliable, accurate, etc. Not exactly brand-specific, but have heard Colts are some of the best in this price range. Is this true? Or if you want to steer me away from 1911's go ahead. I probably won't take that advice though, so be warned, you might just be wasting your time. My budget is about $1100. 

Thanks in advance.

Edited by that_guy

In no particular order of quality...Remington, Ruger, Springfield Armory, Sig.

All good quality firearms. Although the SA and Sig models might really strain your budget with anything above an entry level model.

And I'd consider the Rock Island Armory models as well. Most are within the 500-800 range.

• Like 2
Guest TresOsos

Just get a Colt Governemnt Model and I have no interest in this, but there is a nice Stainless Steel one for sale in the Classifieds.

I have 12 1911's. My favorite of all of them is the Springfield Armory Loaded Model. I have the standard parkerized model with factory night sights. I bought it new off Gunbroker about a year ago for $735.00. I like it about as well as my $1300.00 TRP and I like it a lot better than my Colt Government Model That I paid $900.00 for.

I have 12 1911's. My favorite of all of them is the Springfield Armory Loaded Model. I have the standard parkerized model with factory night sights. I bought it new off Gunbroker about a year ago for $735.00. I like it about as well as my $1300.00 TRP and I like it a lot better than my Colt Government Model That I paid $900.00 for.

Excellent advice here, from another 1911 addict. I'm a big Springfield fan for any 1911 under $1500. Loaded models are a great place to start. I love the looks of the stainless loaded model - PX9151LP is the model number of that one. You should be able to find that for around $800. The TRP and Trophy Match are spectacular quality for the money, but you're talking $1300-1500 on those. Springfield stays truer to the original design than even Colt does, building their pistols without the highly unnecessary Series 80 firing pin safety.

I still like Colt because of their history in the 1911 world, but Colt's quality is very spotty - maybe getting a tad better over the last year or two from what I've seen. But it can be quite a craps shoot with small parts fit and machining with Colt. You will get more consistent quality control with Springfield. What aggravates me the most about Colt compared to a manufacturer like Springfield, is what I call the "25% pony tax." The prices of their guns reflect a premium, for absolutely no added quality or features (usually less) compared to the competition. So I look at it like 25% of the price is just for having that dang pony prancing on the slide. But I still buy 'em...ugh.

However, as I'm dogging Colt, I'm fondling the Marine CQB pistol as I sit and think...haha. Good luck with the search. I don't care what the polymer lovers think, the 1911 is the greatest fighting pistol ever made, and nothing beats a .45. Feel free to PM for more details. I could talk 1911s all night.

I would recommend a Ruger SR1911.   And spend the leftover $300-350 on ammo.   It really does have alot of features that are nice to have, including the sights, beavertail, and skeletonized trigger.     In my limited experience, you're not going to be able to tell a huge difference in 1911's in this price range, so I'd suggest going with one on the lower end of the spectrum.  I'd also recommend speding some of that $1100 on a good holster for it, perhaps the Galco summer comfort if you would ever carry it...   Just my thoughts

• Like 2
Guest SavageOne

All of the above are good choices. I'm a big fan of Kimbers, you can ge into a Custom Target in stainless for around 1k, spend the rest on accessories. My second choice would be the Springfield Range Master. It comes in just under 1k as well, and you can never go wrong with a Springfield Loaded. Unless you are fond of the look or traditionl design, I'd pass on a Government Model if it's intended to be a shooter. The small sights and lack of a beavertail doesn't lend themselves to a lot of range work IMO. Good luck in your search.

Unless you are fond of the look or traditionl design, I'd pass on a Government Model if it's intended to be a shooter. The small sights and lack of a beavertail doesn't lend themselves to a lot of range work IMO. Good luck in your search.

Government model means 5" barrel and slide and fullsized grip, not WWII era.

My first choice would be pay a few dollars more for a Springfield TRP.  The Springfield Range Officer is a nice pistol in your price range.  Their customer service and warranty are excellent.  I would also consider a Colt.

• Like 1

Paul Scarta has an article in the Feb. Shooting Times mag. comparing 7 full size 1911's. Everyone has good points and bad points. Personally I've been wanting to get the Ruger sr 1911 myself. I perfer the stainless. The only way to really know what you like is to shoot and try them out. Just my 2cents worth of advice.

Edited by owejia

Me personally I really like the kimber you can get a custom II and then your unlimited to thy type of customization you might want to do,you should be able to get a custom II for about 850. I call mine a kimber/wilson combat/Ed brown custom (haha) good luck

• Like 1

You said you were open to being swayed. I would abandon the 1911 and go with the CZ97. I did this a couple of years ago and havent looked back. i will be at ok corral this coming monday with some folks. pm me if you want to take mine for a test drive-bill

No 1911 *needs* any gunsmithing unless something breaks or it is defective from the box.   You gunsmith them to tweak the trigger or accuracy beyond what is very good to reach "even better".    

Every gun mentioned here is acceptably accurate and reliable out of the box for most shooters.