Defensive shotgun- Do you have one? What do you load it with?

CQB Elite

I've got some Nobel Sport 2  3/4 LE double naught, has 12 pellets instead of 9. Those babies must be loaded with frigging nuke material. It's worse than 3 inchers.

Even the Mosinites in the crew declined to shoot it more than once. I relegated it to "use only if SHTF and all other buckshot is expended" status myself.

- OS

Those are vicious shells.

Nickel plate?  What benefit is that?  Past a marketing gimmick I can't imagine how it helps.

Theoretically, the harder nickel plating decreases shot deformation which should allow for a tighter, more consistent pattern.

In the real world, I have no idea if it really works that way.

Nickel plate?  What benefit is that?  Past a marketing gimmick I can't imagine how it helps.

Theoretically, the harder nickel plating decreases shot deformation which should allow for a tighter, more consistent pattern.

In the real world, I have no idea if it really works that way.

^^^That.

^^^That.

How much deformation can you really expect and how major is that in a house in very close quarters?  I highly doubt that it would really improve the pattern significantly at house ranges.  House to house? Maybe. Under 30 feet? I'll pass.

• Like 1

#8 wax slug, my home cast "00", or 525 grain Lyman slug, Lee key hole slug, .690 round ball, and my newest mold is a 725 grain 725 dia  slug.

Yes I have a "few" diff shottys. :cool:

• Like 1
I don't have a defensive shotgun per se but have a 12 gauge pump turkey gun with a 20" barrel (Stoeger P350). It has a pistol grip, red dot and works fairly well to sweep my house with.
I keep it loaded with #8 dove shot. I would like to put some 00buck in it but haven't gotten around to it. I would load up my turkey rounds but then the wife wouldnt be able to handle it (probably same issue with the 00). Edited by jonathon1289
The longest shot in my house would be about 10-12 yards. I patterned it out to 20 yards and with the turkey choke it will ruin a day as well as anything else.
Nice having the reduced recoil too, especially if my wife needed it. I've told her she is better off grabbing it then one of the pistols.

Mossy 500A, 7+1.  First two are 00Buck, then 3 inch slug, two more 00Buck, another slug and the rest buckshot.  Figured if I took more than a couple shots it would be at something I'd really be aiming at.

"00" Buck in a Mossy 930 SPX. Biggest use would be to let the wife secure the stairwell and kids if I have to go downstairs to clear things out, or if she is home alone. An 18" full bore barrel and buckshot makes that staircase damn near impassable.
  • Like 1