Welp...It is now here folks...ebola

Someotherguy

• Moderators
I was at the fedex facility by DFW picking up a load a couple of days ago. The gate guard asked us, "have you visited West Africa or been in contact with someone who has been to West Africa in the last 30 days." :lol:
And just think after they return our soldiers in Clarksville will be within 6 hours of anywhere in the state.

What worries me is that they will probably be returning next summer and what is the place people like to vacation here in tennessee? That's right, Dollywood. And during the peak tourist season to make sure it gets nice and spread around.

The first case within an hour of me and we are going full blown hermit. Going to shut the gate, quit mowing the grass and run off anyone who enters.

We are now at 1K infected per week and estimates are it will be at 10K per week inside of a month.

This is not a global killer that will wipe out the human race but I fear it will be comparable to the Flu outbreak of the last century or the bubonic plague that killed so many in the Middle Ages.

And just think after they return our soldiers in Clarksville will be within 6 hours of anywhere in the state.

What worries me is that they will probably be returning next summer and what is the place people like to vacation here in tennessee? That's right, Dollywood. And during the peak tourist season to make sure it gets nice and spread around.

The first case within an hour of me and we are going full blown hermit. Going to shut the gate, quit mowing the grass and run off anyone who enters.

We are now at 1K infected per week and estimates are it will be at 10K per week inside of a month.

This is not a global killer that will wipe out the human race but I fear it will be comparable to the Flu outbreak of the last century or the bubonic plague that killed so many in the Middle Ages.

The bigger worry is if those Soldiers don't have an observation period before going on leave after the deployment.  After Iraq and Afghanistan, the Army standard was 7 days of reintegration before signing out on leave.  They need to have some kind of longer period for observation in this case. 

You mention anywhere in the state within six hours, but there are a lot of out of state metro areas they can get to on a short drive from Fort Campbell/Clarksville as well;

• St. Louis is 4 hours away
  • Atlanta is 5 hours away
  • Louisville is 3 hours away
  • Cincinnati 4.5 hours away
  • Indianapolis 4.5-5 hours away

I honestly think the only thing containing Ebola in Africa are a lack of roads combined with available air and ground transportation for the majority of the population.  Those limitations won't exist if this virus gets loose in America.

Edited by btq96r
  • Like 1

I'm in Dallas and within about 30min of the infected hospital. I wish I knew what areas, restaurants, stores, etc that the infected individuals visited while they were feeling ill. I wash my hands a lot and stay away from crowds as much as possible. I have also made an effort to not touch my face if at all possible. If more peeps start getting it out here, I may just wrap myself in SaranWrap, lol

The bigger worry is if those Soldiers don't have an observation period before going on leave after the deployment.  After Iraq and Afghanistan, the Army standard was 7 days of reintegration before signing out on leave.  They need to have some kind of longer period for observation in this case. 

You mention anywhere in the state within six hours, but there are a lot of out of state metro areas they can get to on a short drive from Fort Campbell/Clarksville as well;

I honestly think the only thing containing Ebola in Africa are a lack of roads combined with available air and ground transportation for the majority of the population.  Those limitations won't exist if this virus gets loose in America.

And a 2hr direct flight to Dallas and 30min direct flight to Atlanta where ebola patients have already been treated

I agree about the observation period. They say 3-21 days is the magic number if a person is going to show symptoms.

Edited by Batman

The bigger worry is if those Soldiers don't have an observation period before going on leave after the deployment. After Iraq and Afghanistan, the Army standard was 7 days of reintegration before signing out on leave. They need to have some kind of longer period for observation in this case.

I honestly think the only thing containing Ebola in Africa are a lack of roads combined with available air and ground transportation for the majority of the population. Those limitations won't exist if this virus gets loose in America.

It's not like conventional Soldiers are just redeploying by getting on a plane in Liberia and landing at Ft Campbell. There are theater gateways. Normally, units are stuck at these gateways for a time before returning. If they're doing that with troops coming back from Iraq/Afghanistan, I don't see why they wouldn't do that when a unit is returning from west Africa. I suppose the scenario of a Soldier bringing it back would be relevant if he was on emergency leave and departed theater rapidly, but I'm going to assume there are procedures already in place for that to ensure an infected Soldier isn't redeployed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Someotherguy, that's impossible because Ebola is hard to catch. You have to have sexual intercourse on a Thursday between 3:27pm and 4:13pm while jumping up and down on a pogo stick that was built by an ancient monk from Argentina and imported by a virgin nun in May of 1974.

Any other circumstances outside of that make it nearly impossible.
  • Like 1

Normally, units are stuck at these gateways for a time before returning. If they're doing that with troops coming back from Iraq/Afghanistan, I don't see why they wouldn't do that when a unit is returning from west Africa. I suppose the scenario of a Soldier bringing it back would be relevant if he was on emergency leave and departed theater rapidly, but I'm going to assume there are procedures already in place for that to ensure an infected Soldier isn't redeployed.

My average time at a theater gateway was about three days during redeployment, so I hope they add at least a few weeks to that, but then you have the risk of mass infection with group facilities, communal living, ect...  Not sure where they are establishing the gateway for this deployment, but for political reasons, I wouldn't imagine any of our allied nations would be excited about us holding troops in that may have been exposed to Ebola on their soil.

The emergency leave scenario is what has me worried the most as well.  I could imagine there will be a few troops who try to abuse that privilege just like any other deployment.

As the husband of a doctor, I think concern is justifiable. Seems that as people say it's not airborne means it's hard to get. That's not true. It seems pretty easy to transmit, especially since most don't know they have it.

I think the biggest thing is to clean and sanitize your hands as often as reasonable. You never know when someone was in contact with the disease.

I find it concerning that a nurse who was in direct care of the ground zero patient got on an airline.

As the husband of a doctor, I think concern is justifiable. Seems that as people say it's not airborne means it's hard to get. That's not true. It seems pretty easy to transmit, especially since most don't know they have it.

I think the biggest thing is to clean and sanitize your hands as often as reasonable. You never know when someone was in contact with the disease.

I find it concerning that a nurse who was in direct care of the ground zero patient got on an airline.

What gets me about this issue is that the information regarding the transmission of the disease has been the same from the start. I've seen nothing breaking about this virus in terms of how contagious it is. Folks seem to be interpreting this wrong from the start, and now believe that this is on par with an airborne virus. While it's still highly contagious, it isn't what many folks think it is.

On the other side, it sounds like the powers that be are screwing this up by the numbers.... again. From the get go of patient zero; releasing someone with Ebola-like symptoms who admitted coming from a quarantine zone, then justifying the action. Ugh. Now healthcare workers are being exposed without an effective protocol established, and no proper quarantine of those exposed.

Typical reactionary government behavior. I suppose it's easier to be reactionary than proactive. Folks who are proactive get thrown under the bus for wasting money on stuff that never happens (because being proactive prevented it), while reactive types only have to worry if things go bad.... it's safer to roll the dice. No one is ever held accountable anyway.

My average time at a theater gateway was about three days during redeployment, so I hope they add at least a few weeks to that, but then you have the risk of mass infection with group facilities, communal living, ect... Not sure where they are establishing the gateway for this deployment, but for political reasons, I wouldn't imagine any of our allied nations would be excited about us holding troops in that may have been exposed to Ebola on their soil.

The emergency leave scenario is what has me worried the most as well. I could imagine there will be a few troops who try to abuse that privilege just like any other deployment.

Point was that they would be going out through a gateway and that would be an opportunity to remain through an incubation cycle to ensure no one had been infected. Obviously they would adjust procedure for this versus Iraq/Afghanistan.

Just spoke to a good doctor friend of mine. He is normally not too worried about all these different outbreaks but this one really worries him. Very odd for a happy go lucky doctor to be worried.

I'm a bit more worried that I was at the beginning of this thread, but I have to add that ALL the media is making it worse then it should be. Even the NEMJ pushed scheduled articles back and stuffed this weeks digital edition with more than 60% stories about ebola.

Here is what I want to know. They keep saying how hard it is to catch this damn thing but then you see the medical staff keeps catching it even when wearing full protective gear.

Obviously it's easier to catch than they are leading us to believe.