Adios Facebook

jacob

So I am quitting "the habit."  I've seen numerous other people state their reasons for leaving or not joining to begin with; and I am finally coming to my senses.  The realization that the social network is nothing but a joke.  It's like a veil over reality, fake and superficial.  I have wasted so much time looking at mindless ads, posts and game requests instead of actually reading something with substance.  I feel like I can learn more from interacting with you guys here even though I may not always see eye to eye, that's life.  Now I have time to actually spend using my mind instead of placating it with nonsense... 

• Like 5

That's funny, I just posted a topic about Facebook being on it's way out, especially with the younger crowd.  I had an opportunity to spend some time with a college group last week where the consensus was, "Facebook is for losers and old people."  They have even figured out FB is nothing more than a commercialized address book.

• Like 1

At its inception, I believe it may have been a good communication tool. At least had the potential to be.

But it has become a haven for all that seems to be wrong with our society these days.

Scammers, predators, and thieves have learned to use its capabilities more than the people it was intended for.

When I see young people with their faces buried in a smartphone constantly, I just shudder at the loss of brain cells that is going on.

Edited by hipower

That's funny, I just posted a topic about Facebook being on it's way out, especially with the younger crowd.  I had an opportunity to spend some time with a college group last week where the consensus was, "Facebook is for losers and old people."  They have even figured out FB is nothing more than a commercialized address book.

Exactly. Just a way to keep up with the girls we shagged or wanted to shag in high school. Pathetic isn't it?

• Like 2

That's why I initially signed up.  A way to keep in touch with more distant friends and relatives.  I rarely interact with the people I am friends with, if at all.  I am tired of "like" buttons, and just the B.S Facebook is as a whole....

My daughter set up a Facebook account for me without asking me first and I had on hell of a  :rant:  :rant:  :rant:  :rant:  :rant:  :rant:  :rant:  with her about it. She came over and removed my account but I still get emails from the damn program and I just delete them with out ever opening them up. I told her she needs to figure out how to get me out of the completely so I don't even get emails from them. I get less each day but I won't be happy til I don't get a single one from them.................jmho  

I found out the best way to keep up with the shags from back then in join Classmates and search all the year book years aand you can even get emailing back and forth with a lot of them without telling the world your business............. :up: :up:

Wish my wife would quit. I can see the utility of keeping in touch with distant friends and relations, but the rest of it is total crap. I hate to think how many hours are wasted each day mindlessly flipping through all the garbage that's on there. Edited by peejman

I see Facebook like a gun; it can be used for good or bad.

no argument there.  just didn't connect with people like i thought i would and didn't want to continue to get suckered into looking at all the drama and b.s. that is so very abundant...

• Like 1

Facebook has been, for me:

1) a great gig getter, being self-employed. I have made some really good connections that have been an income boost.  :up:

2) a great place for getting the price I want for firearms. Folks don't hover like vultures waiting for death there.  :cool:

3) a fun place to find out how far off the idiot shelf some of my real-life friends have fallen.  :rofl:

• Like 3

My favorite thought of late on Facebook is something similar to, "if you're using a product that you don't pay for and wondering how they make money, it's likely you are the product."

Exactly.  The business of Facebook and Google, is to know your business and find a way to turn a profit off it through advertising.

• Like 1

I'm on there... Most of my friends are co-workers and a few from back in high school... But they do know how to sucker you in with advertising... all these holster makers and gear people... they track what you look at on the internet for sure...

So I am quitting "the habit."  I've seen numerous other people state their reasons for leaving or not joining to begin with; and I am finally coming to my senses.  The realization that the social network is nothing but a joke.  It's like a veil over reality, fake and superficial.  I have wasted so much time looking at mindless ads, posts and game requests instead of actually reading something with substance.  I feel like I can learn more from interacting with you guys here even though I may not always see eye to eye, that's life.  Now I have time to actually spend using my mind instead of placating it with nonsense... 

But who's gonna water your crops in farmville?? :P

My daughter set up a Facebook account for me without asking me first and I had on hell of a  :rant:  :rant:  :rant:  :rant:  :rant:  :rant:  :rant:  with her about it. She came over and removed my account but I still get emails from the damn program and I just delete them with out ever opening them up. I told her she needs to figure out how to get me out of the completely so I don't even get emails from them. I get less each day but I won't be happy til I don't get a single one from them.................jmho  

I found out the best way to keep up with the shags from back then in join Classmates and search all the year book years aand you can even get emailing back and forth with a lot of them without telling the world your business............. :up: :up:

In account settings, select "delete my account."  They ask you to confirm it, click "yes" and your account and any pictures that were posted will be deleted.

Unfortunately, they sold your email so you will have months of "unsubscribing" to do....

• Like 1