Anyone else had the stomach flu for Christmas?

TGO David

• Administrator

On Christmas Day I came down with a nasty bout of the stomach flu.  It was the "multi-tasking" kind.  You know, sitting on the commode while holding a trash can in your lap.   :ugh:

I lost December 26th to very restless sleep.  Pretty much 24 hours of it, alternatingly covered in a pile of blankets to stay warm or covered in nothing with the ceiling fan blowing full tilt to cool down.  On the 27th I felt a little better or so I thought, but then my wife (a nurse) spotted what she thought might be the start of shingles on my left upper arm after I complained I had a rash of some sort.

The joy!

I got to bed a little earlier than normal on the 27th and slept in some this morning, the 28th, but promptly found myself "multi-tasking" again in the bathroom.  To say this s##t is getting old is both a pun and an understatement.   :lol:

On a positive note, I feel I am getting a leg up on my impending New Year resolution to lose weight in 2015 and get back down to my pre-marital condition.  But the fact that I'm not keeping food in or down is making me plenty weak and tired.

Anyone else had this lately?

No stomach flu but my brother's 2 year old got strep throat. He then gave it to the entire family. I kissed and hugged him for hours so I'm waiting for symptoms to show up. Day 3 and and my throat is a little sore. We shall see what happens in the next 24 hours.

Not this year, but when my daughter was 2, both my wife and I got the flu bug on Christmas Eve night.  Oh what joy.  Putting out the "Santa" gifts, then having an excited 2 year old running around the house while the wife and I were utterly miserable.   Sent my daughter off to the in laws for a couple days while we recuperated.    That was one of our worst Christmases as a family.

Not "stomach flu", but something I thought was a sinus infection hit me the week before Christmas. Headache, chills, mild chest congestion and very inflamed throat.

Lasted about 4 days and calmed  down. I was feeling pretty good, and the day before Christmas, my wife started having the same symptoms. By Friday, she has sore throat fever and chills, and lots of chest congestion. Has been a pretty bad weekend for her.

I had a very persistent cough that lasted over a week.  I tried a variety of over the counter meds to handle it, but it wouldn't go away.  With the holiday, my doctor wasn't working, and I didn't think it was bad enough to warrant an ER trip.  The worst parts were the headache and nausea it brought on, but thankfully, I'm over the worst of it.

I had other issues but not anything flu and cold related. I think a lot of people get sick at this time f the year because they are in and out of so many stores doing their shopping and come in contact with so many people that it is almost impossible to avoid. I did not do any shopping and did not spend much time with many folks. I guess I was lucky enough to avoid it. I hope all her that came down with any kind of crud is over it now................. :up: :up:

Thank god for wifi that reaches the bathroom.

I haven't had a stomach virus/flu since I've been married but I had a right nasty one when I was young dumb and single. Could NOT be late for work again! Friday evening I put a liter of vodka on that stomach virus. No way I could do that now, I'd be dead but I swear Sunday morning it was GONE. Hangovers are much easier to deal with. I figured you put antiseptic on anything else biologically contaminated. I never said it was smart but stomach viruses don't thrive in 80 proof.
I can concur with the "kill it with alcohol" method. I feel certain that's how I avoided the double purge on a trip to Mexico... 3-4 big shots of Don Julio every night.

As for this latest stomach big incarnation, my oldest boy had the one-ended version for a couple days. Thankfully no one else got it. They've had schools closed here because of it.
Yup, I've been bedridden since Christmas Eve as I had to travel all the way from Ohio from a gig I was on to the Gulf Coast on Christmas Eve. That night I woke my brother up because I was shouting about something. He walked in checking on me and I said, "Why are you trying to give me a rifle? Keep it."

My temp was so high I swear I thought we were in the civil war.

Doc thinks it is flu plus secondary infection. The good news is that I may have finally dropped my 12 year smoking addiction.

Yeah went through all of us literally. Merry effen Christmas

Hate to hear that. You know it's the fault of the children.
They're like little toxic biochemical laboratories. They catch almost everything and immediately pass it on to the parents.
  • Like 1

Man it must have been a bug of something I ate, but I have been peeing out my butt all day today. Been terrible.  Had to rehydrate w/ gatoraid.  Imodium did nothing.  Not a fun day today but fortunately I wasn't throwing up!  Been there and done that! 

I'm doing better but having serious trust issues. (Is it just a fart? Can I be sure?)

;)

:D

That's the worst part. The bug only lasts a few days but the gas pain from the fear of an unintended release once you're back out in public lasts a good week.
  • Like 2
  • Administrator

Man it must have been a bug of something I ate, but I have been peeing out my butt all day today. Been terrible.  Had to rehydrate w/ gatoraid.  Imodium did nothing.  Not a fun day today but fortunately I wasn't throwing up!  Been there and done that! 

Sounds like my weekend!

• Like 1