Nashville Area-where to live?

Erik88

My current employer has a field based position available in the Nashville area that I'm currently interviewing for. Since I will be working from home I can live anywhere in the greater Nashville area. Having only been to Nashville a handful of times I have no idea what areas to avoid.

Assuming I get this position(which is never a guarantee) I'd like a head start on where to look. 

I have a customer I would have to visit in Spring Hill about once or twice a month so ideally I'd like to be within a reasonable distance of that area. Also, I hate traffic so I have no desire to actually live in Nashville or any area that is heavily congested.

The other criteria I'm looking for is

-close to an area that has a mall or high density of retail stores. This is so my fiance can find a job(she works at Victoria's Secret and Chili's currently)

-within 30-40 minutes of an outdoor range would be great

-I would have to visit a client in TX for this new position so I'd like it to be within 30-40 minutes of the airport if possible.

-Easy access to I-40 so that going back home to Knoxville is a little easier. 

That's all that I can think of at the moment. Looking at the map I think anything on the south side of town would make sense. Thanks!

I have lived on the north side when i frist came to Nashville traffic is crap so don't go there lived in Antioch for a few months never felt safe always had a uneasy feeling lived in Lavergne for 6 years that town has went to h=)) now i live in Blackman just west of Murfreesboro right off 840 can be in downtown Nashville in 30 minutes about the same to spring hill we have lots o retail an also Amazon has a warehouse here can jump on 840 to Lebanon and pick up I40 there good luck on your job
  • Like 1

Eric, as you know I live here now.  If you need specifics dont hesitate to send me a PM.  

Id look at Cool Springs to Spring Hill Area.  That way your fiance has access to the Cool Springs Mall area.  Plenty of shopping and food.  Most people who can't afford Franklin end up in Spring Hill.  Its a pretty good commute to downtown Nashville though if you wanted to visit.  

If you want to avoid traffic, stay out of Davidson County completely. Mt Juliet is a nice area, but there is less shopping so your finace would have a little more limited options, but still a good amount of stuff there.  

Like others said, but in reverse, if you live in Spring Hill, you can jump on 840 and head up to 40 to head to Knoxville.  Either way you'd be good.  

• Administrator

Based on what you described you likely want to live southwest of town within 10 miles (east or west) of the I-65 corridor, likely south of 840.   That will put you...

1. Close to Spring Hill

2. Close to Owl Hollow / CHMR outdoor range

3. Close to Strategic Edge in Chapel Hill

4. Close to Cool Springs for shopping, dining

5. Quick access to SR-840 to hit Rutherford Co if needed

Basically somewhere in this area:

erik88map_zps6dbb595e.jpg

Or you might try Fairview which is still reasonably close to Spring Hill thanks to SR-840, but further away from all of the other things I listed.

• Like 3
  • Administrator

exactly what David said, Look at Nolensville too, nice growing small area, close to 840

Or just south of Nolensville heading toward 840 on Nolensville Rd.  There are some really nice areas down there, and affordable.  Also College Grove is nice and quiet and close to all of this stuff.

Based on what you described you likely want to live southwest of town within 10 miles (east or west) of the I-65 corridor, likely south of 840.   That will put you...

1. Close to Spring Hill

2. Close to Owl Hollow / CHMR outdoor range

3. Close to Strategic Edge in Chapel Hill

4. Close to Cool Springs for shopping, dining

5. Quick access to SR-840 to hit Rutherford Co if needed

Basically somewhere in this area:

erik88map_zps6dbb595e.jpg

Or you might try Fairview which is still reasonably close to Spring Hill thanks to SR-840, but further away from all of the other things I listed.

Thanks guys. I agree that this area probably makes the most sense. Are there still plenty of things to do in this area? Restaurants, Movie theater, etc. Is this a relatively safe area?

Thanks guys. I agree that this area probably makes the most sense. Are there still plenty of things to do in this area? Restaurants, Movie theater, etc. Is this a relatively safe area?

This area is about as safe and safe gets. Stay out of the Antioch/Nolensville road (north of old hickory) it's rough

Cool Springs/Franklin is where we spend 80-90 percent of our restaurant/shopping. Downtown/midtown offer some great food options that are not to be missed, but it can be a pain to get down there sometimes.
  • Like 3

Mt Juliet sounds like you. Personally, I like being more out in the country, so I'd be looking more at Chapel Hill, Arrington, College Grove, and the like.

As others have said, if it's in Davidson County, mark it off your list.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Administrator

Would also recommend the Nolensville area. If spring hill doesn't do something with the roads soon it'll be in trouble. Once I-65 construction is complete the drive to and from cool springs will be much nicer though.

Even with construction, my commute to Nashville from southern Williamson Co. is still 50-75% shorter in terms of time than it was on I-24.  On weekends, the construction causes zero issue for us getting up to Cool Springs to shop or dine.

I hear that I-40 east of town is getting bad for traffic in the mornings too, which would strike Mt. Juliet off my list.

Further, I have friends in Mt. Juliet who say that traffic around Providence is so bad now on the weekends that they try to find places away from there to shop and eat.  I don't think Mt. Juliet planned near well enough for the explosive growth that they have experienced.

Check out west near Fairview, 840 is a 30 minute trip to spring hill, we're 45 minutes from the airport and there's only a fraction of the congestion that spring hill is starting to see.

No clue where the outdoor ranges are around here though, we're lazy and usually do the inside stuff.

Edited by Sam1

Gladeville, everything you get in Mt.Juliet you just have an extra 10 minutes to drive, but you are 10 minutes closer to the gun range.  Providence has about anything you need retail wise.  I see the advantage to Gladeville as being more rural which is a big factor for me, I'd guess housing out there would be a little bit more economical.  Housing is very high in Providence, they think they are Brentwood Jr. over there. 

Unincorporated area of Wilson county. We looked at the Springhill area one trip there on a Saturday afternoon and experienced the traffic first hand and we ruled it out. We havenfriends in Gladeville nice area. Plus with Wilson county you can be a short walk to the range. My advice would be to take your time.

Good luck
  • Like 1

We dont need any more peeps buying up all the 22 ammo in middle TN!!! :rofl:

I live in Mt Juliet, not 5 mins from Providence, WAY TO MANY PEOPLE!

We moved here 25 years ago, it was nice then.

If I had to move it would be farther east.

• Like 1
Another Spring Hill vote here. If kids are involved, I would stay on the Williamson County side for the schools. No kids, either is fine. Movie theater is almost open (Carmike 12 screen), fancy setup after a little Google-fu. Traffic on the weekends is getting to be a pain. I get out and back before the sun comes up normally to fix that.

My current employer has a field based position available in the Nashville area that I'm currently interviewing for. Since I will be working from home I can live anywhere in the greater Nashville area. Having only been to Nashville a handful of times I have no idea what areas to avoid.

Assuming I get this position(which is never a guarantee) I'd like a head start on where to look.

I have a customer I would have to visit in Spring Hill about once or twice a month so ideally I'd like to be within a reasonable distance of that area. Also, I hate traffic so I have no desire to actually live in Nashville or any area that is heavily congested.

The other criteria I'm looking for is

-close to an area that has a mall or high density of retail stores. This is so my fiance can find a job(she works at Victoria's Secret and Chili's currently)

-within 30-40 minutes of an outdoor range would be great

-I would have to visit a client in TX for this new position so I'd like it to be within 30-40 minutes of the airport if possible.

-Easy access to I-40 so that going back home to Knoxville is a little easier.

That's all that I can think of at the moment. Looking at the map I think anything on the south side of town would make sense. Thanks!

Spring Hill , thompsons station are great bets, and meet your criteria.

^^ as mentioned, Creive Hall is 15 minutes from the entire world.  We lived there for a few years, and the location is what sold our house for full asking price in late 2008.

We currently live in West Meade (Nashville Metro) and we have the best traffic situation we have ever had (we both work in Green Hills - and the kids go to school there as well).  BTW: When we lived in Creive Hall, I worked in Spring Hill.

From West Meade...Downtown (Sounds Baseball), Germantown (food), Green Hills (back way - no traffic).... all about 15 minutes away.

Airport, Cool Springs, 12th south and the like are 20-25min away.  Yards are big... property taxes are big as well.

Good luck!!   You've got some good advice above, and it sounds like the Nolensville-south corridor may be right for you.  

I live in Nashville, work in Franklin and have family in Mt. Juliet. Like everyone said stay out of Nashville. Im only here because of the house price I got. As far as the Franklin area is concerned during the week traffic is a PITA on weekends I do not know because I'm not out that way. I'm in Mt. Juliet on the weekends and like stated before that little city has grown way to quick. Providence area is a nightmare unless you know the back ways around that part of town. I would suggest anything around the 840 corridor. It is rural in most parts and that is a open piece of road almost all of the time. Just look for a place that has good land prices.