Shady or not??

downtown

So my son and I was at Academy Sports in Clarksville last week looking at scopes. they keep all the 22lr ammo at the service desk and by habit I just look over there when I walk in. They didn't have much , just some of that match grade expensive little boxes. Then we were beside the gun counter by the scopes and a customer came up to two young employees at the gun counter and you could tell that they knew each other. One very quietly said "just a second" and reached through the door behind him and pulled out two 225rd bricks of 22lr. He whispered something to the customer and off he went. I just kinda thought this was wrong in a way, appeared that he saved those for him. I have heard of this type of stuff at a few Academys and this my my first time witnessing it. I didn't feel like saying anything and making a stink about it because I had my son with me. Oh well, just thought I would share.

I'd like to know of a retail outlet where that doesn't happen.

Yes, it's shady.  You should have reported it to the manager....assuming he's not aware of it.  Better yet, you should relay your story to Academy corporate.

This for sure!!!

and yes down right shady.

Whenever I get crapped on at a business or by a business I make it very clear they've lost an entire families and extended families business. I then make it a point to factually point out what happened to anyone who ever inquires as to doing business with that origination.  I do not accept untruthful apologies meant to appease me nor do I accept gift cards to entice me back. FWIW I'm pretty brutal to bad business practices and management and am annoyed at people who continue to return to such businesses after being treated like crap there.

• Like 1

So my son and I was at Academy Sports in Clarksville last week looking at scopes. they keep all the 22lr ammo at the service desk and by habit I just look over there when I walk in. They didn't have much , just some of that match grade expensive little boxes. Then we were beside the gun counter by the scopes and a customer came up to two young employees at the gun counter and you could tell that they knew each other. One very quietly said "just a second" and reached through the door behind him and pulled out two 225rd bricks of 22lr. He whispered something to the customer and off he went. I just kinda thought this was wrong in a way, appeared that he saved those for him. I have heard of this type of stuff at a few Academys and this my my first time witnessing it. I didn't feel like saying anything and making a stink about it because I had my son with me. Oh well, just thought I would share.

Fair enough, but what did you end up teaching your son in this instance?

Is it shady? Yes. But your son should learn at an early age; life isn’t fair.
The people it went to were customers also.

But I probably wouldn’t be so nonchalant about it if I found out it went to one of those dirt bag resellers. biggrin.gif

Yes, life isn't fair, but you shouldn't teach your children to just take it in the butt submissively.

I wonder how many would cry foul were they on the recieving end of the deal?

I'm pretty sure a lot of us have been on the receiving end of some kind of perk for being friends with someone at a business before...a discount at a friend's store that everyone else doesn't get, a free cup of coffee when so-and-so is working at the restaurant, or even as simple as a heads-up that a gun you've been wanting will be in on Tuesday morning. Playing favorites with friends/family happens everywhere all the time.

I'm not saying that makes it right, just that if we knew about every instance of it happening, we'd lose our minds.

Big K is right I think everyone at some point gets a little heads up. What would have been nice would have been to walked up to that employee and said I'll take 2 bricks also and said it loud enough for everyone to hear. I would get his name and first call the manager if he/she wasn't in the store at that time. Then a letter to corporate would be in order. But as Davetn said life isn't fair. I like Academy better than a bunch of the larger sporting goods stores and I would think their management would appreciate the information. My $0.02

It's just human nature though. To get upset over it is silly. Most everyone exploits the resources they have available including their occupational position. I work in a used tire shop. Do you not think I tuck away the cream of the crop for my friends those I think highly of? I'd be a liar if I said I didn't stash back a set of tires that are knee deep on rubber for a fello TGO member and sell a complete stranger something a little less. My friends that trade with me do not ride on the first come first serve inventory everyone else does.

I would give a haughty look of derision to anyone who says they do any different.
  • Like 2

Is it shady? Yes. But your son should learn at an early age; life isn’t fair.The people it went to were customers also.But I probably wouldn’t be so nonchalant about it if I found out it went to one of those dirt bag resellers. biggrin.gif

It seems to escape many folks notice that LIFE ISNT FAIR.
Ok, it seems that some of you read into my post a little too much and involved what you thought I should teach my son. My son is 23 months old and I didn't want to take the time to see a manager. I only have a short selective time period for him to be in that buggy so I can shop with my sanity intact. I still had to go grocery shopping!
  • Like 2

Ok, it seems that some of you read into my post a little too much and involved what you thought I should teach my son. My son is 23 months old and I didn't want to take the time to see a manager. I only have a short selective time period for him to be in that buggy so I can shop with my sanity intact. I still had to go grocery shopping!

:shhh: Don't let a perfectly good opportunity to rant get ruined by a little thing like the facts.

• Like 1

I'll leave you with one thought...
The unbiased, equal distribution of goods; The shadow of Marxism that is.

On that basis is it okay to raid the pantries of poor widows, after all life's not fair.  I'm sorry Caster, I respect you and usually agree with you, but we're going to have to agree to disagree on this matter.  I see no difference in this behavior than the crap that our politicians do in Washington when we elect them to represent us and they roll on us for a dollar.  All it is is corruption, it's just on a different level and ain't none of it alright. 

• Like 1