What's this Critter?

I have a friend that has been having trouble the last few nights with something getting in their coup and killing chickens. They finally set up a game cam and got this. It's hard to scale but it looks cat like to me with a long ringed tail. Kinda stumped me. They are gonna let me come try to call it in and if that don't work I'm gonna put a couple leg holds at the point of entry at the coup. Anyone know what we may have here?

e8dd6834e9456794925254b1ebd36dd8.jpg

Edited by glowdotGlock

That's either a fully feral cat with no owner or a partially feral cat camping at womeones home pretending to be semi domesticated for hand outs. They can be ruthless killing machines whic destroy more than they consume. Option A. is live trap it and take it to a shelter. Option B. is to let some do godder do the same. Option C. involves either a 12 ga shotgun or .22 LR...

• Like 1

Yup it's a cat.

As an ecologist I hate the phrase "shoot, shovel, shut up" but in this case, cats are an invasive destructive species. I would firmly support open season on feral cats.

I thought there was open season on feral cats? Aren't they considered a nuisance animal, much like coyotes?

Definitely a black panther. No question.

A cat.
The head is a blur, but looks like an ordinary house cat to me.

You are both almost right.

It is the super elusive Black House Panther!

Or a regular feral domesticated cat. One of the deadliest hunters in society.

• Like 1

kind of looks like a fox to me

when I first looked I thought the same,  Starting at the head, but the back legs and tail don't match.

then when looking at the legs and tail a bit more the head doesn't seem big enough for fox either.

I am with the crowd it is a Black Panther or a cat.