9/11 remembrance. 14 years tomorrow

vontar

33117-9-11-Never-Forget.jpg

If anyone has any memories of 9/11 they want to share, feel free. Perhaps, you may want to say something about someone you knew that was lost that day. Thankfully I didn't know anyone that was lost that day. I know over the years I have met allot of people that were there. Perhaps you just want to share where you where when you heard the news.

On 9/11 I was between jobs, I had moved back in with my parents. I had enough money in the bank to move out if I could only find a job, but that money was shrinking. I was in bed asleep when the first plane hit. Mom came in and woke me up and told me what happened. Everyone including the reporters were reporting it as a terrible accident. It was believed to be an accident until the second plane hit. Then it was known to be an attack of some kind. I remember I took every gas can we had, I all of our cars out to the gas station to fill out. By my second trip the price was already going up. Continued watching the news just waiting to hear anything. Nothing I could do remotely to help. On one hand I wanted to go to NYC to help but the other other hand what could I really do that they didn't already have people available for. Later that month I was in Oak Ridge with a New Job @ Client Logic. Been in OR ever since

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY00LmtUlqQ&list=PLUoL7hxzAJx3ovhkaEi5pty_AmhOXIFry&index=3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyQyH4RoDbw

Edited by vontar
  • Like 3

I remember finding out about it when I got into work that morning.  I don't remember if only one plane had hit or two (2) at that point.  I worked near the Memphis airport at the time, and it was eerily quiet outside once all of the planes were grounded.  I worked for a commercial airline, and those were uncertain days for us.  I remember using the United website to check the status of one of their flights that had crashed.  Needless to say I was surprised that they listed the status as having arrived early.  I wonder if I still have that printout somewhere.

Its hard to believe its been 14 years.  I remember it like it was yesterday.  I was at my same job that I have now, and I remember a co working turning to me and saying a plane had crashed into the World Trade Center.  I remember thinking it must have been very foggy or something, then moments later, I received a phone call from my mother who told me about the 2nd plane.  Then it was like the world stood still for the whole day.  2,977 innocent people died that day.   Compare that to 2,500 people at Pearl Harbor. 

I am reminded of the following:  1 The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.  2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.  3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.  4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. 5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. 6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever. Psalms 23

We were at the beach that morning. We came back in for my then toddler son to take a nap. We knew something bad happened when there was a news anchor on the cartoon network.

I remember going to dinner that night, and everyone in the restaurant crying, hugging, and cheering as the president spoke on tv.

I've never seen strangers so united. It really impressed me. It's a real shame it didn't last.

The Blue Angels flew up the beach the next morning. That gave me cold chills.

A lot has changed in 14 years. I fear we haven't seen the last of this type act.

When the 1st tower was hit I remembered that during WWII, a US army bomber had crashed into the Empire State Building, so I figured it was another terrible accident. When the 2nd plane hit we all knew it was intentional.

I will never forget the poor people clinging to the side of the building then jumping to their deaths. To me that's the most searing vision of the terrible nature of terror - and the media quickly stopped showing those scenes.

My daughter was 3 and a half and I made sure she saw it and I told her this was a part of history that will affect her the rest of her life. She still remembers.
  • Like 1

I was a 19 year old Private First Class at Fort Campbell in the 101st Airborne Division.  I can still remember my platoon sergeant coming through barracks rooms telling people to turn on CNN as I was lacing my boots up while getting ready to go eat breakfast.  The rest of the day, was a blur as we reacted to lock down Fort Campbell.  Nothing was the same anymore.

Four months later, our equipment was all packed up and we were waiting for our flight to Afghanistan as our brigade was one of the first conventional units deployed.

I remember my mom calling to see if I was at home or at work. I was an airline pilot and frequently flew into Newark, JFK and LaGuardia airports. I was on a day off that day, and she said I should turn on the TV. When I did, one tower was smoking, and there was confussion about what was going on. At first I suspected a weird accident, but it just seemed too deliberate. As I watched, the other aircraft hit the second tower. We all knew at that point we were under attack. I felt so many emotions as the towers fell and so many people lost their lives. So many things changed that day, and it is a day I will never forget. I speak to my children about it often. God bless the families that lost loved ones that day, and God bless America.

Now, more than ever, we need to be diligent, united and prepared.

I will always remember where I was when the towers fell, but tomorrow I will just remember my fellow fallen NightStalkers who gave their all prosecuting our response.

http://www.nsa160.com/memorial-wall/  

"Terrorist attacks can shake the foundations of our biggest buildings, but they cannot touch the foundation of America. These acts shatter steel, but they cannot dent the steel of American resolve."

~George W. Bush~

I was fixing cars at the time, my boss yelled to come to the office, saw the 2nd plane hit.

Very bad day, country was never the same, Patriot Act, DHS and unlawful searches,

100 mile non Constitution zone at the borders. Muslims in our government making

the FBI and law enforcement not look into their actions.

Hell, a muslim got elected as POTUS.

• Like 1

I was on my way to office when the first plane hit.  When I got to the office, the 2nd plane had just hit.  

The interesting part is that the company I worked for provided Emergency Notification systems to many of the places hit.  We actually had two customers from the Pentagon in our office that morning and without saying much, I can tell you they knew within two hours who was behind it all.  It was a crazy day/weeks for us in the aftermath.  I was just in NYC the week before and had eaten lunch in WTC 1. 

For anyone that hadn't been there I think it is really hard to truly understand how incredible it was that both of those towers came down and there was as little damage to neighboring buildings as there was.  It's a site we will certainly never forget.

I was in school, 10th grade. We were sitting there in a science class and my math teacher, Mrs. Smith slung the door open and said "Turn on the TV!" My whole class sat there in disbelief and we all saw the second plane hit together. Shortly after that we were dismissed to go home. The images I saw on tv that day will be in my head till the day I die. I'm proud to be an American every day of my life, but I can remember how much more pride I had at the fact in the following days. In my lifetime, that was the most I had ever seen the American people come together.

On a side note, I can not believe it has been 14 years. People who were born the year it happened, and obviously dont remember it, are one year shy from being how old I was when I watched it happen on tv. 

I was at work.  I heard someone say a plane crashed into the building and I figured it was something like a little Cessna.  Then someone said no, it was an airliner, which I thought was nonsense until the 2nd one hit.  The company's internet connection was heavily filtered and basically shut down due to all the traffic. We had one separate, unfiltered connection for visiting vendors and there were about 20 of us huddled around this guy's laptop watching coverage on CNN until that finally quit too. 

My wife was home and her Grandparents, who happened to be out riding around, stopped by, oblivious to what was happening.  They wondered why there was no traffic on the roads.  They stayed the rest of the day. 

Like you all, I have memories of that awful day. It was and is one that will stay with me until my time is gone.

Runco, thanks for the video. I find it one of the most emotional of my life. And I do watch it with some frequency.

Please, let us all remember those lost in the buildings and those who died trying to save others that day.

Pray for their families and friends. This will be a sad day for them.

And lastly, never forget this deed. Regardless of how you feel about the Muslims and the Eastern world, remember what happened and what has happened since.

Pray for us all and our Country. Pray for those who protect us every day.

Amen.
  • Like 1

I was at home and turned the TV on moments after the second plane had struck and immediatly thought about the car bomb there years earlier. My next thought, with the disaster managment and experence background I had, was parts of those buildings were going to start coming down soon. I didn't really consider them collapsing the way they actually did but was perplexed at all of the first responder equipment and such being that close.

It was pretty clear to me that anyone above the fires and many floors below were already dead or going to die. So having enough training and experience to know next to nothing could be done was infuriating. I know if it'd been my city and I'd been on duty and there I'd have been just as caught up in the mix as those responders were. It still pisses me off whenever I think about it. 

people have already forgot about it.  Give it another decade and it will go the way of Pearl Harbor.

Oh well, I think not. When Pearl Harbor took place we engaged the enemy and defeated them after almost 5 years of fierce fighting and many lost lives. Even though 9/11 is 14 years old we are still reminded of it every day. The attack of 9/11/2001 was done by Islamic Muslim Terrorist and since then the same self righteous radical Muslims are killing people by the hundreds every day and will be for years to come because the problem has not been nor will it be addressed anytime soon. We as a nation will continue to be reminded of 9/11/2001 because as a nation we will suffer attacks such as Boston Bombers and all of the other spoiled plots by terrorist to destroy our nation and Kill Americans you hear about in the news everyday...........jmho

in 2000 i went to live in brooklyn with a friend of mine from high school. i left late 2000 or early 2001. (can't remember exactly)

at the time of the attack she lived in brooklyn and worked in new jersey. her last subway stop before jersey was to change trains in the wtc station.

it took days for me to get in touch with her to make sure she was ok.

she was standing on the platform when the first plane hit. she says that the ground shook, and a short time later someone started shouting about a bomb going off. she ran out of the station with everyone else in the panic.

she was standing two blocks from the towers, in the doorway of a church, when she heard the second plane. she watched as the second plane hit the tower.

she has nightmares to this day of the people jumping from the towers.

i texted her earlier today to check on her. she avoids the news this time of year, but is doing much better focusing on the "good things".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

bersaguy we, as a nation, were only seperated from the terrorist attacks taking place all over Europe and the Middle East because of geographical boundries. The proleferation of high capacity jet transports and the informational exchange freeway of the internet changed all of that. Now we are facing a literal invasion of humans directed into Western Countries to partake of the kindness and handouts.

This is another form of terrorism intended to bankrupt and destroy the countries invaded by this mass exodus of overpopulated countries.

I have a grandson who turns 13 Wednesday.  He doesn't remember it,  not on kids his age radar.

Terrorism goes on,  the more terror attacks there are the less important crashing jets into two buildings in NYC becomes.

Not saying it is right but just the way it is.  

Do they teach about it in school?  Do we want them to?  What version will they be taught?

Call me a bigot, xenophobe, or what ever you will. This act was committed by Muslims. Until I can personally get a handle on exactly who is a good Muslim, and who is a bad Muslim, I'll not be real keen on any of them. Furthermore, I'm against importing them into our country. The people fleeing Syria you see on the news look to be mostly able bodied men of fighting age. They should be in Syria helping to sort things out. I don't see any good coming from bringing them here.

• Like 5

I was a new, volunteer  member of the national disaster team with the Red Cross.  Spent a little over three weeks in NYC from Thanksgiving weekend to Christmas Eve.  My job took me to every site, including Ground Zero and the Fresh Kills landfill where further searching was done.   Like MacGyver I will never forget the tastes, smells, or sights but I don't regret doing my part to help.   New Yorkers have a reputation for being callous but they came together to support all the workers and always thanked you when they saw your uniform, hardhat, or ID badge.   

Edited by RoadKill

I had just sat down at my box in home office, cranking up my workday at the time, had CNN on when it started.

This morning starting at exact same time, 8:53,  MSNBC replayed NBC's live coverage of that day, without commercial break, till noon. First time I've seen it like that since the actual event, and it was damn near as chilling as watching it live back on that day.

Dan Rather pegged my sentiment when he said early on, like (paraphrase) "this changes America from this moment on in ways we can't even yet grasp".

- OS

• Like 1