Virginia to end reciprocity with 25 states

Wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the Chamber is composed of Lefties. However, it has been my experience that most politics is ultimately based on money. If that is true and they feel that this action on the part of the AG could hurt their bottom line then I believe they will be able to overlook their "moral outrage".  The good folks of Virginia need to speak up as well since this is just one paving stone on the path to becoming another state like New York.

Look at New York on Google Earth sometime......the VAST majority of the state is rural but because of the large number of people in the New York city area it controls the politics of the entire state. The large cities are what drive all the crime and "gun violence" statistics. The media doesn't talk about that though. They just want a disarmed populace. Maybe the big cities are the problem (not guns) and they should be banned! Wonder what Bloomberg would think about that?

• Like 1

It's a shame that Virginia is going this way......I have no wish to harm financially any business in the Commonwealth of Virginia. However, I refuse to disarmed due to crossing a state line. Being a law abiding citizen my only choice then is to not visit Virginia. For any wishing to contact the Virginia Chamber of Commerce here is a link. http://www.vachamber.com/ also here is a link to the Bristol Virginia Chamber,

http://bristolchamber.org/about-us/contact_us/  . Yes, I also know Virginia is an open carry state but I prefer not to stir the pot with the folks who are afraid of guns.

Letters sent to Virginia Chamber of Commerce.  I was formerly stationed in VA and had looked forward to visiting several times in the future.  However there are other states that will welcome the chance to profit from visitors.

It's a shame that Virginia is going this way. I live in the Tri Cities area and occasionally go to Bristol Virginia to shop. That will end as of February 1st. My suggestion is that as many people as possible notify the Virginia Chamber of Commerce that they will no longer be going to Virginia to spend their money. One strongly worded letter from the Chamber of Commerce will carry more weight with the Governor of Virginia than the opinion of every member of the Tennessee Gun Owners. I have no wish to harm financially any business in the Commonwealth of Virginia. However, I refuse to disarmed due to crossing a state line. Being a law abiding citizen my only choice then is to not visit Virginia. For any wishing to contact the Virginia Chamber of Commerce here is a link. http://www.vachamber.com/ also here is a link to the Bristol Virginia Chamber,
http://bristolchamber.org/about-us/contact_us/ . Yes, I also know Virginia is an open carry state but I prefer not to stir the pot with the folks who are afraid of guns.

I also recommend contacting the State tourism dept. Advising taking vacation in SC or NC where TN residents' dollars are appreciated.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Here's a new wrinkle:

VA GOP May Strip McAuliffe Of His Protective Detail Over Concealed Carry

Virginia’s radically anti-gun Governor and Attorney General were probably quite pleased with themselves when they spitefully severed concealed carry agreements with 25 states, including all but one of its neighbors.

They probably didn’t anticipate the backlash they’ve received, which includes calls to recall or impeach Attorney General Mark Herring, and pushes for legislation that will both strip elected officials of the ability to make such unilateral decisions, and get a little payback.

Herring’s announcement came three weeks before the start of the General Assembly session, which is controlled by Republicans. In November, a bill was filed that would require Virginia to recognize permits from other states. If approved, it would reverse Herring’s ruling.

Carrico said he’ll address the issue come January.

“A lot of the governor’s power is deferred to the General Assembly at that point and I’ll be getting with my collegues to circumvent everything this governor has done on this point,” he said. “I have a budget amendment that I’m looking at to take away his executive protection unit. If he’s so afraid of guns, then I’m not going to surround him with armed state policemen.”

http://bearingarms.com/va-gop-may-strip-mcauliffe-protective-detail-concealed-carry/

• Like 2

Here's a new wrinkle:

VA GOP May Strip McAuliffe Of His Protective Detail Over Concealed Carry

Virginia’s radically anti-gun Governor and Attorney General were probably quite pleased with themselves when they spitefully severed concealed carry agreements with 25 states, including all but one of its neighbors.

They probably didn’t anticipate the backlash they’ve received, which includes calls to recall or impeach Attorney General Mark Herring, and pushes for legislation that will both strip elected officials of the ability to make such unilateral decisions, and get a little payback.

Herring’s announcement came three weeks before the start of the General Assembly session, which is controlled by Republicans. In November, a bill was filed that would require Virginia to recognize permits from other states. If approved, it would reverse Herring’s ruling.

Carrico said he’ll address the issue come January.

“A lot of the governor’s power is deferred to the General Assembly at that point and I’ll be getting with my collegues to circumvent everything this governor has done on this point,” he said. “I have a budget amendment that I’m looking at to take away his executive protection unit. If he’s so afraid of guns, then I’m not going to surround him with armed state policemen.”

http://bearingarms.com/va-gop-may-strip-mcauliffe-protective-detail-concealed-carry/

If the GOP in DC had any testicals they would do that with BoBo.

• Like 2

From the website:

Open carry is legal in Virginia – no permit required and you can open carry in most places in Virginia. Our police don’t bat an eye. VCDL’s website has a list of the places that you cannot carry. And, here’s another good reason to open carry: McAuliffe and Herring HATE open carry. But, hey, it was THEIR brilliant idea to prohibit concealed carry, so they will have no choice but to get used to a whole lot more people open carrying in Virginia!

You can have a LOADED handgun in a CLOSED, but not necessarily locked, compartment or container in a vehicle. That includes a glovebox, console, and trunk as long as the compartment or container has some kind of latch. Optionally the loaded handgun can be in plain sight, on the seat or on the dashboard. Again, if concealed it MUST be in a compartment or container and nowhere else. Upon exiting the vehicle, the loaded handgun can be holstered and carried in plain view or you can unload the gun and put it in a carrying case.

Don't hide what ya got... show it off! :stare: 

Because in any of these mass shootings the criminal went out and obtained a weapons carry permit so he could legally go slaughter people.  Makes sense.

Why are liberals so f'ing stupid?  It's like the underpants gnomes are writing laws.

Late to the party on this but:

phase 1: end reciprocity

phase 2: ....

phase 3: profit!

• Like 3

As I understand it (but I could very well be wrong), a reciprocity agreement falls apart if one party reneges... I would expect that, within a year's time, VA permit holders pretty much wont be able to carry into any contiguous states.  I live only 300 yds from the VA state line - and, as others have pointed out, VA is (for now) an OC w/o permit state...guess the Springer gets to see the light of day on northerly excursions.  Given the rabid anti-2A histories of Herring and McAuliffe, this will likely be but the tip of the iceberg.  While it will be difficult at present for them to eliminate permitless OC, I do expect considerable pressure from them to make OC as uncomfortable - and as unwelcome - as they can.

Two states don't have to have a agreement for you to be able to carry there. I don't think we have a formal agreement with AL but they still recognize TN permits.

I wouldn't want to see TN not allow VA permits. Two wrongs don't make a right.
  • Like 2

Two states don't have to have a agreement for you to be able to carry there. I don't think we have a formal agreement with AL but they still recognize TN permits.

Yeah, "reciprocity" is often incorrectly used as being synonymous with "recognition". Just because any two states recognize each other's permit doesn't necessarily mean they have an actual formal reciprocal agreement.

I wouldn't want to see TN not allow VA permits. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Quite unlikely law would be changed. We already honor permits from ten states who don't honor our own. 'Course, I guess this could piss off the legislature in a special way, dunno, but we'd only be punishing gun toters like ourselves, not the Gov.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Yeah, "reciprocity" is often incorrectly used as being synonymous with "recognition". Just because any two states recognize each other's permit doesn't necessarily mean they have an actual formal reciprocal agreement.

Well said OS. I think TN is best to just wait this "test case" out and see what happens. I'm suspecting this will back fire on the Gov and AG in the end....

• 3 weeks later...

I would agree on other matters but this one will only punish law abiding gun owners from Virginia. The people that made the changes are good with depriving their citizens when they travel out of their own state. In fact, it's probably preferable to them.

You just choose the Edit link in the lower right corner of the post you wish to remove, then erase your post's content and replace it with something like "Nevermind"

Letters sent to Virginia Chamber of Commerce. I was formerly stationed in VA and had looked forward to visiting several times in the future. However there are other states that will welcome the chance to profit from visitors.

As of Feb, only UT and VA offer nonresident permits accepted by VA. Wanting not to donate $100 to VA, looked up UT requirements. One requirement is a mandatory training course by a Utah certified instructor. None in TN, few in neighboring States. VA doing their best to soak neighboring States' citizens out of $100. PS - if they reject the applicaion, not appealable nor refundable.

TN AG Slatery and DOS Commissioner Gibbons sent this letter to VA AG Herring yesterday, requesting at least a delay until July 1 for additional considerations.  A few decent arguments within.

Overall it was good, and apporiate, but this part annoyed me:

It appears from your unconditioned revocation of reciprocity that a Tennessee resident holding a valid Tennessee permit for a concealed handgun could not even travel across Virginia to visit our nation's Capital without acquiring a nonresident permit from Virginia. Could this be true for Tennessee's Congressional representatives?

As if they're the main concern here.  They all fly to D.C..  None of them drive up I-81 to I-66 and waste 12 hours each way when their office funds cover travel.  They also have reserved parking spots at BNA from what one former staff chief told me.  They usually fly right into Reagan National and get a ride to their office, or just keep a car in their reserved parking spot at the Washington area airports.
Edited by btq96r
  • Like 1

Overall it was good, and apporiate, but this part annoyed me:

It appears from your unconditioned revocation of reciprocity that a Tennessee resident holding a valid Tennessee permit for a concealed handgun could not even travel across Virginia to visit our nation's Capital without acquiring a nonresident permit from Virginia. Could this be true for Tennessee's Congressional representatives?

As if they're the main concern here.  They all fly to D.C..  None of them drive up I-81 to I-66 and waste 12 hours each way when their office funds cover travel.  They also have reserved parking spots at BNA from what one former staff chief told me.  They usually fly right into Reagan National and get a ride to their office, or just keep a car in their reserved parking spot at the Washington area airports.

Not only that, but DC for sure will not honor the permit if USA Carry is up to date:

Permit(s) Not Honored In:

California, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Guam, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, New York City, Oregon, Puerto Rico, Rhode Island, Virgin Islands, American Samoa, N. Mariana Islands

I think both of these things should be done anyway (though I'd put the cost of having the State Police at the gun show on the show and not the State Police Department's budget).  But what say ye, TGO?

In exchange, Republicans softened their stances on issues that have long been non-starters in the GOP-controlled General Assembly. Under the deal, the state would take guns away from anyone who was under a two-year protective order for domestic-violence offenses. And State Police would have to attend all gun shows to provide background checks for private sellers if they requested the service.

Looking at timings, etc, it appears that the "deal" McAuliffe brokered was in the works long before Slatery put pen to paper.  This one reeks of internal VA politics - McAuliffe used the AG and the VSP to take an action guaranteed to pressure the legislature, which in turn pushed back, eventually resulting in a deal that really accomplished very little of any substance...except, perhaps, to get all the gun control activist groups in VA now royally pissed at McAuliffe for reneging on the action they wanted without ever consulting with them before scuttling the ship.  Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of ingrates...

• Like 2

As of Feb, only UT and VA offer nonresident permits accepted by VA. Wanting not to donate $100 to VA, looked up UT requirements. One requirement is a mandatory training course by a Utah certified instructor. None in TN, few in neighboring States. VA doing their best to soak neighboring States' citizens out of $100. PS - if they reject the applicaion, not appealable nor refundable.

I came from Maryland where there are more Utah permit holders then MD state holders.  There were instructors all over the place.  If I remember correctly any NRA certified instructor can become a Utah instructor but I could be wrong.  I am guessing within the next year there will be instructor all over eastern TN.

Thanks

Robert