Serious Gun Peoples Worst Nightmare

runco

• Administrator

Actually it looks like they used a die-grinder.  You can see the spray of dust and debris all up the front of the door.  A torch doesn't do that.  The cuts are also very straight and in places you can see where the metal is bent, like they twisted the cut pieces back and forth to break them off.

That safe looks like an entry-level Browning.  It's good for keeping honest people honest, and maybe protecting your stuff for 20 minutes of exposure to a house fire.  There are far better safes on the market and those photos are proof of why you should buy one if you really want to protect your stuff.

Actually it looks like they used a die-grinder. You can see the spray of dust and debris all up the front of the door. A torch doesn't do that. The cuts are also very straight and in places you can see where the metal is bent, like they twisted the cut pieces back and forth to break them off.

That safe looks like an entry-level Browning. It's good for keeping honest people honest, and maybe protecting your stuff for 20 minutes of exposure to a house fire. There are far better safes on the market and those photos are proof of why you should buy one if you really want to protect your stuff.

I focused in on the same thing David. Sometimes its better to spend the extra money on the safe and not get that 1 or 2 guns that week. Rather than losing so much like this.

Hope he can track some of them down or at least find out who done it.

Is there a residential safe that can withstand a theif with die grinder or torch and a little time? He should have set his alarm system before leaving the house.

I'm not sure there is, its just metal.  With a big enough saw you can cut anything.  Of course the thicker the better, but if they have all day or all night, I can't imagine it would matter.  I agree about the alarm.  It's a huge step in protecting not only your selves but you belongings.  With an alarm they would have had 10-15mins at most, probably less than 10 if its in town.  I have an alarm and never leave home without arming it. 

• Like 2

What would concern me is that someone had the foreknowledge that the safe was there and knew there was enough time to cut it open.

Concur. It has me thinking this wasn't some random house robbery, but someone who knew the people and place, and planned accordingly?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk, because I felt that Oh Shoot wanted to know that particular bit of information.

When I bought my safe I knew nothing about safes and there wasn't really the internet back then to research and learn from. I just talked to the owner of the gun shop I was supporting and asked him what safe he recommended. He said he used a certain safe at home and in the store so I said order me one.

For my 2nd safe upstairs I got a black friday deal at Gander Mountain. It's a decent safe and Im sure with time someone could get in it but they'd have to rearrange the bedroom to get access to the sides.

I'm not sure there is, its just metal.  With a big enough saw you can cut anything.  Of course the thicker the better, but if they have all day or all night, I can't imagine it would matter.  I agree about the alarm.  It's a huge step in protecting not only your selves but you belongings.  With an alarm they would have had 10-15mins at most, probably less than 10 if its in town.  I have an alarm and never leave home without arming it. 

Yep. A safe is for fire protection. Get one that will last longer that your local FD dispatch time. They had some time, and made quite a bit of noise. 

Fire protection depends on the safe's rating. Regular house fires can reach above 1000 degrees, so time is important. Safes typically carry a "torch and tool" as well as a "fire" rating (which I believe is the time it takes for regular paper to ignite). Good safes are usually more than just steel. They should also have a layer that looks like concrete but is very tough. That's both an insulating layer against fire as well as prevent the torch from cutting in.

The safe I have, and nowadays store my guns in, was bought around 2000 or so. My need for it back then was for storage of forensic evidence (hard drives as well as documents and other media, like CD's). It has 3 cubic feet of room and I believe is rated at 2 hours "torch and tool" and 2 hours fire. It has steel as well as that concrete type barrier. I think it was around $500 or so back then. 

Can someone get in? Sure. Any safe can be opened, given enough time. Or if someone knows about safes (in essence, is a professional safe cracker) or knows/has the "cheat sheet". (there's often a weak spot, one precise way of "attacking" a safe).

When choosing a safe, pay attention not to just the size and features, but the ratings as well. That's the time the safe will keep your valuables safe. Any time above that, and all bets are off.

Fire protection depends on the safe's rating. Regular house fires can reach above 1000 degrees, so time is important. Safes typically carry a "torch and tool" as well as a "fire" rating (which I believe is the time it takes for regular paper to ignite). Good safes are usually more than just steel. They should also have a layer that looks like concrete but is very tough. That's both an insulating layer against fire as well as prevent the torch from cutting in.

The safe I have, and nowadays store my guns in, was bought around 2000 or so. My need for it back then was for storage of forensic evidence (hard drives as well as documents and other media, like CD's). It has 3 cubic feet of room and I believe is rated at 2 hours "torch and tool" and 2 hours fire. It has steel as well as that concrete type barrier. I think it was around $500 or so back then. 

Can someone get in? Sure. Any safe can be opened, given enough time. Or if someone knows about safes (in essence, is a professional safe cracker) or knows/has the "cheat sheet". (there's often a weak spot, one precise way of "attacking" a safe).

When choosing a safe, pay attention not to just the size and features, but the ratings as well. That's the time the safe will keep your valuables safe. Any time above that, and all bets are off.

I believe that it's Gypsum; not concrete.

I believe that it's Gypsum; not concrete.

It probably is in cheap safes, where it acts purely as a fire barrier. But good safes have a concrete composite with abrasive stuff in it that also acts as an entry barrier against tools.  

That is why I do have a home security system. Safes are good but safes with security system to protect the safe is better. I also have several trail cameras hid around my home that I turn on if I am going to be gone for long periods of time but my best secret weapon of all in I have some great nosy neighbors that are home almost 95% of the time and they will call 911 if anyone or anything looks out of place. They have done it a couple times on a few of my friends that came by and stayed longer then the neighbors thought they needed to be here waiting to see if I was coming home soon................................. :doh:

I have neighbors who watch my house too. The woman's craft room window faces my house. She's called the police on one of my kids because my daughter came by the house unexpectedly while we were camping. The Rottweiler in the back yard discourages people from trying the back of the house. :) 

Looks like it was opened with a torch, I work in a huge fab shop, around welders, torches all the time, there is soot on the door and slag at the base of the door..

For as little as $500bucks, you could buy a 110v plasma cutter and a pancake compressor and get into the average safe within minutes.

I seen photos of a robbery couple yrs back where someone busted a hole in a exterior wall tied a chain around the safe and used a 4x4 to pull it through the wall and into the yard.

Never the less I feel bad for that guy!!

I often thought about buying tool die steel plates you know the ones that are 1" thick, and maybe build a box around the safe, but coming through the door, like this example, baffles me how to add extra protection. 

[URL=http://s963.photobucket.com/user/runco0318/media/die%20steel_zpslpzpqg0s.jpg.html]die%20steel_zpslpzpqg0s.jpg[/URL]

And just for some entertainment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D33T4GOtB-U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3p5KUNfDG0

There are plenty of others. Bottom line is, do your research and examine a safe yourself (or consult with a professional) when choosing a safe.