Jump to content
Capbyrd

AR10 + M1A = MK36

Recommended Posts

I'm starting to think that we have taken the "AR all the things" mantra just a little too far.   That being said, this is interesting and I want to shoot one.  

 

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2019/01/22/overmatch-precision-arms-mk36/

Quote

What do you get when you mix together an AR and a M14/M1A rifle? The new MK 36 rifle from Overmatch Precision Arms. They’ve actually been working on this rifle for a while, it was originally called the Osprey MK36 rifle and was being developed by Osprey Armament which is now Overmatch Precision Arms. The rifle is finally finished and will be released very soon.

The Overmatch MK36 rifle uses an M14/M1A rotating action and gas piston system with an AR-15 style lower receiver. The lower is compatible with AR safety selectors, triggers, pistol grips and stocks. However it uses standard 10 or 20 round box fed M1A magazines. It includes an aluminum hand guard with a Milspec Picatinny rail up top and M-Lok mounting locations along the side. It weights in at a reasonable 8.5 pounds. Even being that svelte Overmatch claims the MK36’s felt recoil is significantly lower than your standard M14/M1A.

 

Overmatch Precision Arms MK36 Rifle

That receiver looks familiar.

Overmatch Precision Arms MK36 Rifle

The Overmatch MK36 is actually very easy to disassemble with no tools needed. It breaks down into just a few parts pretty quickly.

Overmatch Precision Arms MK36 Rifle

The Overmatch MK36 is going to be available in multiple finishes and hand guard lengths. The one above has a folding AR style stock, and because there’s no buffer you can fire it with the stock folded. Not sure why you would, but you could.

Overmatch Precision Arms MK36 Rifle

The Overmatch MK36 includes a threaded barrel and muzzle brake but you can add a suppressor to it as well.

Overmatch Precision Arms MK36 Rifle

The MK36 rifle is chambered in .308 Win / 7.62 NATO but there are plans to produce it in .243, 6.5 Creedmoor and .338 Federal. It will be available with a 1:10 16″ match grade barrel or 1:12 18″ or 20″ match grade barrel.

The MK36 from Overmatch Precision Arms should be available very soon but pricing is to be determined. I’ll update this post if I get pricing info from Overmatch. For more info check them out at opa36.com.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Whisper said:

It does look interesting.  Hope it's not $3,000....

That's kind of the MSRP I was expecting.   The formula in the title basically.  

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And after paying that much, you have a gun that loses a lot of the compatibility perks of the AR and also some of the ruggedness of the M1A. Like someone said once, at least with the M1A, it makes a passable club, but the AR, not so much. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

And after paying that much, you have a gun that loses a lot of the compatibility perks of the AR and also some of the ruggedness of the M1A. Like someone said once, at least with the M1A, it makes a passable club, but the AR, not so much. 

I equate this as being a new chassis option.  I know its much more complicated than that but I see it as another chassis on the market.   And I'm curious how that compares to the existing chassis.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You could just put a pistol grip stock on a M1A and have a better rifle a whole lot cheaper. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

You could just put a pistol grip stock on a M1A and have a better rifle a whole lot cheaper. ;)

But how do you know? Some things I would jump to conclusions on as well.  But this one, I'll reserve judgement.   

I hate the M1 safety.   Its the only thing I hate but I hate it.   This is a big improvement for me.   Ergonomics that just about everyone is already familiar with.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bahaha reminds me of the FNAR or my version the SXAR....but hey ya know sometimes these collaborations do actually create a useful gun...my SXAR is lights out up to 600yds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's some compelling stuff here.

I'd love to see how it shoots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/23/2019 at 10:51 AM, Capbyrd said:

I equate this as being a new chassis option.  I know its much more complicated than that but I see it as another chassis on the market.   And I'm curious how that compares to the existing chassis.

That's my take too. It's more M1A than it is AR. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure it would be fun to shoot, if not prohibitively expensive...but it just seems a more AR'd version of when the military gave units some kitted out M14s for longer reach and punch within a platoon. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mk_14_Enhanced_Battle_Rifle

 

Still, some (semi) fresh thinking in the current times is a good thing.  We need more outside the box thinking if a company can afford to take a risk in design.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, btq96r said:

I'm sure it would be fun to shoot, if not prohibitively expensive...but it just seems a more AR'd version of when the military gave units some kitted out M14s for longer reach and punch within a platoon. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mk_14_Enhanced_Battle_Rifle

 

Still, some (semi) fresh thinking in the current times is a good thing.  We need more outside the box thinking if a company can afford to take a risk in design.

Yep. That's an M14 in a hotrod chassis. Nothing wrong with a good old Garand. I think the AR10 is probably inherently more accurate with a free float barrel. That could matter when you start reaching out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 That's a fascinating piece. Back in 1977 when Springfield A came out with the M1A, I bought one brand new for $379.00 My SN was 006022. If any one here has it, I would consider maybe buying it back.  I sold it in about 84 for the new Springfield SAR48.  My biggest peeve with the rifle was the accuracy degraded badly after you got most of the way threw a mag. Cold.... clover leaf, no prob, hot, shotgun groups of 4" @ 100.  So I looked into National Matching the bedding system and decided it just wasn't worth it. Every disassembly degraded the very finicky bedding over time and would have to be redone. After I bought the FAL, I never looked back since those M1A problems were non existent with the FAL.  The AR's may be fine for a lot of folks accuracy n all but I tend to go to extreme in the HD-ness of a battle rifle design and a hot cal like the 7.62x51 in a impingement gas system is just stupid. Put 4 or 5 full 20 rd mags threw the action as fast as you can go and heat in the aluminum action is never a good thing.  The FAL is the king of the hill in that group with the HK bringing up the rear. not much in between as far as run em to the melting point.  The MK36 gas system is a proven design in harsh conditions and it would not suffer the wood stock accuracy problem of the M1A. It scopes well over the M1A and drop mags is a plus. Not a bad try at a modern M1A but with DSA Voyager FAL's running a thousand bucks with life time warranty, you have to really have a woody for that action design to walk past the 90 country mil spec FAL. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t think heating up the aluminum is an issue.  I’ve watched videos of people running to the point that the gas tube melted and the aluminum receivers were fine.  But I get your point.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, xtriggerman said:

 That's a fascinating piece. Back in 1977 when Springfield A came out with the M1A, I bought one brand new for $379.00 My SN was 006022. If any one here has it, I would consider maybe buying it back.  I sold it in about 84 for the new Springfield SAR48.  My biggest peeve with the rifle was the accuracy degraded badly after you got most of the way threw a mag. Cold.... clover leaf, no prob, hot, shotgun groups of 4" @ 100.  So I looked into National Matching the bedding system and decided it just wasn't worth it. Every disassembly degraded the very finicky bedding over time and would have to be redone. After I bought the FAL, I never looked back since those M1A problems were non existent with the FAL.  The AR's may be fine for a lot of folks accuracy n all but I tend to go to extreme in the HD-ness of a battle rifle design and a hot cal like the 7.62x51 in a impingement gas system is just stupid. Put 4 or 5 full 20 rd mags threw the action as fast as you can go and heat in the aluminum action is never a good thing.  The FAL is the king of the hill in that group with the HK bringing up the rear. not much in between as far as run em to the melting point.  The MK36 gas system is a proven design in harsh conditions and it would not suffer the wood stock accuracy problem of the M1A. It scopes well over the M1A and drop mags is a plus. Not a bad try at a modern M1A but with DSA Voyager FAL's running a thousand bucks with life time warranty, you have to really have a woody for that action design to walk past the 90 country mil spec FAL. 

The FAL was always the superior design. We never should have fielded the M-14. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chucktshoes said:

The FAL was always the superior design. We never should have fielded the M-14. 

I would love to see a 21st century FAL. It could lose some weight and gain some capacity with modern materials. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, peejman said:

I would love to see a 21st century FAL. It could lose some weight and gain some capacity with modern materials. 

It exists. It’s called the SCAR 17. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn’t say they were cheap. 

Of course I’ve got over $3500 in my FAL.   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

The only reason FALs were so cheap for so long was the plethora of surplus parts kits that were floating around after such wide adoption around the world.

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whats up everyone?  First post here. I’m excited to see an updated rifle that takes the best of both AR and M14 worlds and blends them together. Any rifle that can be broken down with no special tools is definitely a plus especially when it breaks down into just a few pieces, and I love any rifle that is already compatible with the wealth of aftermarket AR accessories already in existence . I want to see some professionals run the 3 rifles against one another in some kind of functionality demonstration / competition.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Similar Content

    • By Magiccarpetrides
      Pretty cool setup....and like we talked about in the earlier thread...if your a piston fan get em before they are gone...
      https://www.cdnnsports.com/rugerr-sr556-takedownr-556.html#.XGbgW_ZFy70
    • By FrankD
      OK folks I have an itch to build another AR style firearm and am looking for some advice on what to build next.  I would like to stick to 5.56 so I don’t have to acquire a bunch of different ammo and with my usage I don’t see an immediate need for anything larger or longer range.  I have a rugged surge waiting in jail for me and an extra SBA3 brace laying around.  
      I am thinking of doing a 14.5” mid-length build, or even an AR-9 to match my pistol ammo.  
      Right now I have:
      16” mid-length 5.56 with a 1-6 optic 
      10.5” carbine-length 5.56 pistol with an RDS (HD)
      7.5” pistol-length 5.56 pistol with and RDS (beater truck gun)
    • By Capbyrd
      Well Ruger has officially ceased production and removed from product listing the SR556 and SR762.   The Piston guns are no more.   

      I thought they were great guns, but the proprietary piston/handguard was a killer for them, I think. 
       

The Fine Print

Tennessee Gun Owners (TNGunOwners.com) is the premier Community and Discussion Forum for gun owners, firearm enthusiasts, sportsmen and Second Amendment proponents in the state of Tennessee and surrounding region.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is a presentation of Enthusiast Productions. The TGO state flag logo and the TGO tri-hole "icon" logo are trademarks of Tennessee Gun Owners. The TGO logos and all content presented on this site may not be reproduced in any form without express written permission. The opinions expressed on TGO are those of their authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the site's owners or staff.

Before engaging in any transaction of goods or services on TGO, all parties involved must know and follow the local, state and Federal laws regarding those transactions. TGO makes no claims, guarantees or assurances regarding any such transactions.

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to the following.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines