SARS-2-CoV (COVID-19)

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Daniel said:

I have my own opinion about it but I wanted to ask you.  

Why didnt the first lockdown work?  Why was that not successful?  Rather why after it did work did it then begin to not be enough to ultimately be successful?

The effectiveness of the lockdowns was only going to work as long as they remained in effect. Once they began to be lifted, what happened was always going to happen.

We have a long history of being very bad at developing treatments for this type of virus. So anyone attempting to convince you of a vaccine being imminent is selling you a load of BS. The same BS that was sold to us about the lockdowns. Of course our fear let them shift the goalposts really fast. if you remember, they were initially sold to us under the idea of “flattening the curve” to allow medical services to not be overwhelmed and prepare for the mass amounts of sick and dying. When that didn’t happen, all of a sudden it was “we can stop it!” No, we can’t. We never could and to believe so is a fantasy. 

For the all of human existence disease has been a limiter of the population and only in the last century have we begun to be able to fight back against it. We’ve gotten too full of ourselves and too confident in our abilities. Every so often nature will remind us that we don’t know as much as we think we do. 

I’m all for taking measures to slow the spread to give medical services the time it needs to handle the load, but I’m not down with destroying the lives and livelihoods of millions upon millions in pursuit of an impossible goal. 

The only way out, is through.

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Bnashville said:

Short answer in my opinion is inevitability. I believe there are two kinds of people. Those who’ve had COVID-19 and those who will get it. 

In that case you  mean people who will get it again and again and again because the antibodies dont last.

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

In that case you  mean people who will get it again and again and again because the antibodies dont last.

The first vaccine(s) only have to be evidenced 50% effective to be released, so don't expect a magic elixir right out of the gate.

IF this virus doesn't mutate, or cousins of the same family don't propagate, unlike the extant influenza strains, it will easier to eventually nail down a more effective vaccine for it than for flu. But it will likely be a significant time frame to get there, and even the most effective one to come may only give temporary protection, so it might well require a yearly dose (or even more often, who knows).

Not to mention what may well become the biggest hurdle -- getting enough of our population to actually take it.

-------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile:

TN Average Daily Covid Deaths

March (over last 11 days of month starting 3/21 with first death) 2.0
April 5.8
May 5.3
June 8.0
July 14.7
Aug  22.5
September 23.2
October 29.0

total TN deaths 3,353

IHME projection for total TN deaths based on current scenario by 2/1/21: 6,875  (this is actually less than the last one)

- OS

Until they start testing blood they will not have an accurate measurement of the virus. The nasal swab Testing kits we get are from China. Let me repeat that,  the nasal swab testing kits we get are from China. Two different people will take that information two different ways, but I believe you come to the same Conclusion

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

For the all of human existence disease has been a limiter of the population and only in the last century have we begun to be able to fight back against it. We’ve gotten too full of ourselves and too confident in our abilities. Every so often nature will remind us that we don’t know as much as we think we do. 

I’m all for taking measures to slow the spread to give medical services the time it needs to handle the load, but I’m not down with destroying the lives and livelihoods of millions upon millions in pursuit of an impossible goal. 

The only way out, is through.

Pure gold. 110% true.

This virus will be used to bludgeon your rights and freedoms until we-the-people stop letting them enforce illegal diktats.

'Never let a crisis go to waste'

Rahm told you their playbook years ago. Pay attention, this IS the final exam.

• Like 5

TN average daily deaths (updated 2PM daily):

April 5.8
May 5.3
June 8.0
July 14.7
Aug  22.5
September 23.2
October 29.0
November (thru 7th) 33.8

total TN deaths 3,590

IHME projection for total TN deaths based on Current projection scenario by 2/1/21: 6,875

----------------------

New one day record reported for the 3rd: 75.

(Although I've come to deem this particular stat as not all that reliable, as reporting totals generally seem to be less on weekends, then "catch up". So either fewer people die on Sat/Sun or the reporting system just isn't as responsive then, and I suspect the latter.

- OS

Well, looks like we've entered into the double jeopardy round where the scores can really change.

New record of 89 TN deaths today. Got a mention on National Gnus here and there as among states with high case counts, hospitalization saturation and etc.

- OS

11 minutes ago, Garufa said:

And it's one, two, three,

What are we masking for?

Don't ask me, I don't give a damn,

Next stop is Covidland;

And it's five, six, seven,

Open up the pearly gates,

Well there ain't no time to wonder why,

Whoopee! we're all gonna die.

And somehow I still feel like it's the government's fault.

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, Garufa said:

And it's one, two, three,

What are we masking for?

Don't ask me, I don't give a damn,

Next stop is Covidland;

And it's five, six, seven,

Open up the pearly gates,

Well there ain't no time to wonder why,

Whoopee! we're all gonna die.

Thanks buddy...now I've got the "I feel like I'm fixin' to die rag" stuck in my head!  😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On the 19th of October, my daughter, wife and myself came down with the virus. Son and his wife as well. We were tested and found to be positive for the virus. Now my wife and myself smoked since our teenage years, we are in our early 60s, however we quit little over eight years ago. We all lost sense of smell and taste, runny nose, slight fever, it did not go into our lungs. We all had bodyaches and pains just like the flu. Five of us are living proof the virus will not kill a person of reasonable health. I don’t exercise enough, I smoked a lot, and not in the best of health, but we survived, proof that it does not kill.

if you are sickly, have diabetes, bad lungs, heart disease, stay away from people.

• Like 3

TN average daily deaths (updated 2PM daily):

April 5.8
May 5.3
June 8.0
July 14.7
Aug  22.5
September 23.2
October 29.0
November (thru 13th) 38.3

total TN deaths 3,852

IHME projection based on current projection scenario by March 1, 2021: 9,194

- OS

10 minutes ago, Omega said:

TN Death Rates, they have every year listed but stop before 2019, tn.gov stops at 2018. the CDC at 2017.

you mean, over all death rates, like by month or something?

Where are those stats you're seeing, so I don't have to search

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot
1 hour ago, Omega said:

Thanks, I'd been to the TN one before but didn't have it bookmarked.

Looking at just last three PDF file dates, would seem the 2019 one should be out.

2018: done on 10/10/2019

2017: done on 10/29/2018

2016: done on 9/25/2017

I guess maybe TN Dept of Health has been a bit busier this year than usual for obvious reasons? Dunno.

As far a CDC, couldn't say. AFAIK, their primary info comes from the states themselves, so should have the 2018 year up.  Is there any statement about reporting dates on site there, didn't peruse it myself.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot