Jump to content

Bring on the butter


Recommended Posts

 While I was in the Navy all we ever got was butter, no margarine. My wife tried for years to wean me off of it to no avail. She also tried to feed me that watered down crap called skim or 2% milk. No luck there either.  icon-smile-1.gif

  • Like 3
Link to comment

Local dairy for this house. Whole,full fat, cream top gallon a week 💪

Highest butter fat content butter available 💪

Highest grade cheese 💪

Brown eggs from the neighbor 💪

Only bread is what I bake myself 💪

All in moderation of course 😁

I'm still gonna die but hopefully a little slower than the drive thru crowd 😁

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment

We stopped eating margarine years ago when a friend did an experiment to prove to his wife that margarine wasn't good for you. He left a big gob of margarine on a piece of cardboard in his barn and after a couple of weeks it was still there and no signs anything touched it, not even bugs. Even mice knew it was poison. That doesn't prove butter is good for you just margarine isn't.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
11 hours ago, Jeb48 said:

We stopped eating margarine years ago when a friend did an experiment to prove to his wife that margarine wasn't good for you. He left a big gob of margarine on a piece of cardboard in his barn and after a couple of weeks it was still there and no signs anything touched it, not even bugs. Even mice knew it was poison. That doesn't prove butter is good for you just margarine isn't.

I’ve read that margarine was invented as an economical way to fatten turkeys on a commercial farm. It was killing the turkeys, so they abandoned the project. Now we eat it. No idea if there is any truth in the story.

Edited by gregintenn
Link to comment
On 9/25/2021 at 11:46 AM, 10-Ring said:

I'll take butter over margarine and sugar over artificial sweeteners.  Key is moderation, which I struggle with. 

This is truth. I struggle with the moderation as well. Stuff just tastes so good! 

Edited by Wingshooter
Link to comment

Just stop buying into the "Low Fat Diet" scheme and the traditional food pyramid nonsense. 
Fat is not the enemy. Refined and processed crap is.

All those low fat products generally have a ton of sugars and salts added to them in an attempt to get them to taste like something in the neighborhood of what they are attempting to replace. 

Vegetable and seed oils (extracted and processed stuff again) are far worse for you than the naturally existing fats (animal fats). 

Sugars are the same. Corn Syrups and other high glycemic index processed/artificial sugars are horrid for your body. Much more so than natural fruit sugars, honey or even raw cane sugar. 

Flours and grains are better but still not great. Limit your intake of sugars and grains and you will be much better off, especially processed flour. We do not need nearly as much grain as the old school food pyramid would have you believe. Get your fiber from fruits and vegetables instead.

And for the love of all that is good stop eating soy, especially soybean oils!

If you can't grow it or raise it in your back yard you probably shouldn't be eating it. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
17 hours ago, OldIronFan said:

Just stop buying into the "Low Fat Diet" scheme and the traditional food pyramid nonsense. 
Fat is not the enemy. Refined and processed crap is.

All those low fat products generally have a ton of sugars and salts added to them in an attempt to get them to taste like something in the neighborhood of what they are attempting to replace. 

Vegetable and seed oils (extracted and processed stuff again) are far worse for you than the naturally existing fats (animal fats). 

Sugars are the same. Corn Syrups and other high glycemic index processed/artificial sugars are horrid for your body. Much more so than natural fruit sugars, honey or even raw cane sugar. 

Flours and grains are better but still not great. Limit your intake of sugars and grains and you will be much better off, especially processed flour. We do not need nearly as much grain as the old school food pyramid would have you believe. Get your fiber from fruits and vegetables instead.

And for the love of all that is good stop eating soy, especially soybean oils!

If you can't grow it or raise it in your back yard you probably shouldn't be eating it. 

I'd starve under that guidance. My yard doesn't seem to be able to grow 💩 .

  • Like 2
Link to comment
45 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

I'd starve under that guidance. My yard doesn't seem to be able to grow 💩 .

Same here and what little I can grow wont feed us all. Also on the other hand I am not sure i can grow the proper things to make gochujang.

Link to comment
1 hour ago, buck1032 said:

Same here and what little I can grow wont feed us all. Also on the other hand I am not sure i can grow the proper things to make gochujang.

The funny part is that my house is build on an old corn field yet I can't get corn to grow on it.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
5 hours ago, E4 No More said:

I'd starve under that guidance. My yard doesn't seem to be able to grow 💩 .

My comment about growing/raising in your back yard is a bit more a conceptual than literal. 

I am speaking to items that are possible to grow in a yard/field, harvest it,  and bring it to your table with your own hands. I could raise livestock and process it with traditional methods if I was so inclined. I am not going to grow kiwi in my back yard but if my climate was suitable I could without conducting a science experiment. 
What I can't do is extract and refine palm oil in my shed. I can't produce High Fructose Corn Syrup in my kitchen easily. 

And as for your own personal yard... You just have to figure out what it needs. I no longer have a garden since I would have to build rabbit and deer proof barriers at the new house but when I did I did not plant in the ground I built raised beds with carefully cultured soil that mixed from numerous compost sources and other organic material. You can do raised beds or simply amend what you have if you determine what is lacking. 
 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

THE FINE PRINT

Tennessee Gun Owners (TNGunOwners.com) is the premier Community and Discussion Forum for gun owners, firearm enthusiasts, sportsmen and Second Amendment proponents in the state of Tennessee and surrounding region.

TNGunOwners.com (TGO) is a presentation of Enthusiast Productions. The TGO state flag logo and the TGO tri-hole "icon" logo are trademarks of Tennessee Gun Owners. The TGO logos and all content presented on this site may not be reproduced in any form without express written permission. The opinions expressed on TGO are those of their authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the site's owners or staff.

Before engaging in any transaction of goods or services on TGO, all parties involved must know and follow the local, state and Federal laws regarding those transactions. TGO makes no claims, guarantees or assurances regarding any such transactions.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to the following.
Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines
 
We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.