Its started.

Grayfox54

Here in the West End we've been having temps in the mid-50s to low 60s for a couple of weeks now. Not bad at all. Local forecast says that Arctic Air Mess is due to arrive about 4:00 pm. Some light snow expected with temps dropping like a rock.聽 Low tonight forecast at 5 degrees with a high tomorrow of 17.聽 Not expected to be above freezing until at least Monday.聽馃槻

Just so happened that I needed to stop by Kroger for a couple of small items this morning. The place was absolutely packed!聽 People stocking up in full panic mode.聽 So it begins.聽 Winter in the South.聽馃檮

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
1 hour ago, Snaveba said:

Anyone on the west side of the state seeing any frozen precip? 聽We are officially in a winter storm warning in Nashville. 2-4 inches, which means we will not get squat.聽

There's been light snow falling in NW Tennessee since about 3 pm.聽 Winds are pretty strong, and the temp right now is 16 and falling.聽 Forecast says a low tonight of -1.聽 I'm definitely not cut out for living in a northern clime ...

I have one of those home weather stations that reads the outdoor temperature. The sensor is located on my back porch. So it tends to read a couple of degrees higher than the actual temp. I've been watching it this afternoon. At 4:00 pm when the front came through it read 51 degrees. Now at 6:30pm its reading 24 and still dropping.聽馃槻

We have snow. Its real small, icy type of flurries, but its coming down fast and hard. Streets and ground are starting to get covered.聽

Its days like this that make me really glad I'm retired. When I was still working, the worse the weather, the more likely I'd have to be out in it.聽馃が

• Like 5

I moved here from Washington four years ago, and this will be my first ever experience with below-zero temperatures. I'm a bit worried about a high of 9 degrees tomorrow.聽

I have a squatter dog who just showed up here about a year ago, and she's never been inside. I went out and bought a crate for her, and will put her in the garage this evening. I don't think she's going to like it, but I don't think she'd like being outdoors at 6 below, either.聽

When I moved here I was fully prepared for hot, humid days during the summer. The cold was quite a surprise!

Stay safe, folks!

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Sleep profit said:

The weather man said last time this cold 1987. 聽And I am dripping water till it warms. May not have to but would rather pay for extra water. Than a plumber for bursted pipes 聽also keeping door under sink open so they can get warm air聽

I couldn't remember the exact year, but knew it was in the late 80s.聽 I was living outside Paris, Tn. at the time, the low temps hit -18 on the worst night and the high the next day was -4.聽 As I recall, we had something close to a week of exceptionally low temperatures that time.聽 I also remember discovering that I didn't own any clothes appropriate for being outside in that type of weather ...

• Wow 1
24 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I'm sure it's happened before but I can't remember temps this cold in a long time.聽

If I'm on a slab, do I still need to let sinks run a little?聽

Even on a slab foundation plumbing is required to be buried below the frost line. But I know of a couple that have had theirs freeze due to builders trying to save a buck. If I were worried at all I'd set a sink to a small drip and be done.聽

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
55 minutes ago, FUJIMO said:

Even on a slab foundation plumbing is required to be buried below the frost line. But I know of a couple that have had theirs freeze due to builders trying to save a buck. If I were worried at all I'd set a sink to a small drip and be done.聽

Y鈥檃ll let the cold , hot or both drip?

• Moderators

I let hot water drip. Think about it.聽

In your home you have two sets of pipes. Cold ones and then hot ones coming from your water heater. But the ones coming from your water heater can also be cold if it isn鈥檛 ran. They could also freeze. If you run your hot you are letting them move. That will keep your hot ones from freezing. But what fills your hot water heater? The cold lines. That will keep them from freezing.聽

If you have tankless hot water it would be a different story.聽

Or if you have a dishwasher it will keep your pipes from freezing well into next week.聽

star trek GIF

• Like 1