school shooting in Nashville at the Covenant School

FUJIMO

My niece went to a private school in Florida that had their own armed security. They were not law enforcement. 

This school in Nashville could have paid for security but chose not to. I love the idea of private schools having armed security. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a private entity to pay for their own security. 

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

My niece went to a private school in Florida that had their own armed security. They were not law enforcement. 

This school in Nashville could have paid for security but chose not to. I love the idea of private schools having armed security. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a private entity to pay for their own security. 

giphy.gif

Edited by Johnny Rotten
59 minutes ago, TGO David said:

I guess Metro PD should have stayed off of Covenant's property and waited for a private Blackwater-type security force to show up and handle the situation.  Publicly funded police departments should stay the hell out of protecting rich private school kids, right @btq96r?  If their tuition doesn't cover private security, then #### 'em.

Dude, c'mon...the apples to oranges of a dedicated everyday security guard on the payroll vs. police answering a call is so far and wide it's not even a comparison.

38 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I started to respond but well never mind 

• Administrator
11 hours ago, Erik88 said:

Bridgestone Arena is a private facility owned by a private company and has massive Metro PD presence at each Predators game. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Administrator
11 hours ago, btq96r said:

Dude, c'mon...the apples to oranges of a dedicated everyday security guard on the payroll vs. police answering a call is so far and wide it's not even a comparison.

You mean that it's not a convenient comparison.  Those kids are all children of taxpayers.  You're just choosing to draw the line where you want to draw it.  I'm emphasizing how narrow-minded that is.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
19 minutes ago, TGO David said:

Bridgestone Arena is a private facility owned by a private company and has massive Metro PD presence at each Predators game. 

Would that not be considered an off duty gig where the Arena is paying for extra security? I know it's common for business to pay an off duty cop to be present. I imagine that for large sporting events they may have an agreement worked out with the city. 

Or they may figure that with the amount of tax revenue being generated at the Arena, it easily justifies the cost of having law enforcement there. 

I'm not sure that is a fair comparison to a small private school that isn't required to pay taxes.  

Doesn't matter what I think though. Bill Lee seems to be moving forward with the plan. 

12 hours ago, RED333 said:

Governor Lee is  asking for public funds to put SROs in all schools, public and private. I for one will not have an issue with it.

https://www.wdef.com/governor-lee-announces-school-safety-plan/

The Governor is proposing $140 million dollars go towards placing an armed guard in every school in Tennessee.

Governor Lee said, “With this funding we’re taking the burden off of teachers and school and districts. There is no excuse to not have a guard at every school.”

He wants to establish a grant fund totaling nearly $30 million dollars that he says would help both public and private schools make security upgrades.

Additionally, the Governor is proposing $8 million dollars to go towards mental health resources to schools across the state.

I looked it up yesterday, there's around 4,365 private and 1,920 public schools in TN. If the money goes to all schools equally, each school gets $22,275 for an SRO, but if it only goes to public schools each gets  $72,917. Of course it'll be far less after all the bureaucrats in the school system slice of their chunk of the money for administration. 

I agree with what @TGO David eluded to, the money needs to protect all school children, not just the ones in public school. 

I would hope that the larger, more affluent private schools that have big donors and can afford private security will do the right thing and turn down the offered money. This will leave more for the public schools and smaller private schools that run on a much tighter budget. 

• Like 3

With all due respect to every one on TGO that have school age children. Can you honestly put a price on how much money should be provided to their school to protect them while they are in school? I don't really care if a child can afford to attend a private school  or is in a public they both deserve the same amount of protection which right now many don't get. We have a Governor that is working on fixing that and I am behind him 100%. If I was 10 or 15 years younger and in better health I would volunteer too be an SRO person at the Gordonsville school that is 7 miles from my home. 

As far as the action the Metro officers a week ago. I am very glad they were there and did the job needed. I agree with David that waiting on a public security team would have been a grave mistake.

It would have been a ULVADE all over again.....JMHO on last statement.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

No one has even mentioned the 2 Senator's bill they introduced in Washington. They want congress to pass the law, they introduced last week, where schools can hire retired military veterans for SRO's nationwide.

I am still a fan of training volunteer teachers to carry.  

• Like 4
44 minutes ago, pop pop said:

No one has even mentioned the 2 Senator's bill they introduced in Washington. They want congress to pass the law, they introduced last week, where schools can hire retired military veterans for SRO's nationwide.

I am still a fan of training volunteer teachers to carry.  

From my experience and discussions with my wife, teachers don’t want to carry a gun in their classroom. They want to teach, they don’t want to be school cops. 

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Snaveba said:

From my experience and discussions with my wife, teachers don’t want to carry a gun in their classroom. They want to teach, they don’t want to be school cops. 

I agree that most teachers don't want to pack a gun to teach. As far as that bill for using veterans. You are expecting miracles if you think the Congress is going to move on any bill in a week.

3 hours ago, RED333 said:

WE HAVE TO GET PAST THE MONEY!!!

I guess I will be the bad guy and say what most won't or don't want to admit.  There is a monetary value for a life.  I am not saying I know what it is, but this idea of it doesn't matter what it costs if it just saves one life is ludicrous.  

I realize each parent will say there is no value on thier childs life and I can understand the emotional aspect of that view and wouldn't expect anything less, but from a purely monetary point of view, we place a value on everthing including life every day.  We can talk about life being fair or unfair based on the size of your pocketbook.  Again like it or not, it's the way it is and is always going to be.  

We don't live in a fairly tale.  Life is tough for most and there are tragedies that happen to people at all economic, social, and religous levels every single day. 

So, it is about the money.  It always is and always will be. 

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, Hozzie said:

I guess I will be the bad guy and say what most won't or don't want to admit.  There is a monetary value for a life.  I am not saying I know what it is, but this idea of it doesn't matter what it costs if it just saves one life is ludicrous.  

I realize each parent will say there is no value on thier childs life and I can understand the emotional aspect of that view and wouldn't expect anything less, but from a purely monetary point of view, we place a value on everthing including life every day.  We can talk about life being fair or unfair based on the size of your pocketbook.  Again like it or not, it's the way it is and is always going to be.  

We don't live in a fairly tale.  Life is tough for most and there are tragedies that happen to people at all economic, social, and religous levels every single day. 

So, it is about the money.  It always is and always will be. 

I agree in that there is a number, but we flush way more down the green new deal toilet than what it would cost to place 10 SROs in each TN school from kindergarten to med school, hell, maybe even the entire US, that discussing the cost seems disingenuous at best.  Many of the security systems and other safeguards we've discussed on this very thread can be implemented very quickly,  including allowing qualified veterans the ability to volunteer their time at their local schools, we have a wide distribution of vets that finding one or more for each school shouldn't be a problem.  This could be a temporary solution while more trained and licensed SROs are made available.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My youngest is 38 and I don't have any grandkids yet. So I guess I don't have a dog in this fight. 🙄

I really don't care who pays for it or just how they go about it. I just want our kids to be safe in school. Quit arguing about it and get something done. 

• Like 2

.gov tells us the price of a life is 10 million dollars. Do your own search, this is NPR.

https://www.npr.org/2020/04/15/835571843/episode-991-lives-vs-the-economy

A question we've been hearing lately: "Is it worth it to shut down the economy to save lives?" Or "Should we let people die to save the economy?" The only way to answer this question is to figure out what a human life is worth ... in dollars. This happens all the time. In fact, U.S. government federal agencies have a very specific answer. They say a human life is worth about $10 million.

• Like 1

There are armed guards at the White House.

There are armed guards at the Capitol

There are armed guards at the Supreme Court

There are armed guards at the Governor's Mansion

There are armed guards at the State Capitol

There are armed guards at my local courthouse

Seems like the .gov folks all think some people are worth paying for armed guards for their safety.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Snaveba said:

There have been more shooting at schools than at .gov locations. 

That is because for the most part schools are gun free zones and a soft target. Also along with all the armed Guards at all the Government locations mentioned most Congress and the Presidents have Secret service everywhere they travel to. 

• Thanks 1

And this happened today:
https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/four-children-killed-pre-school-attack-southern-brazil-2023-04-05/

Guy with an axe jumps the fence and kills 4 kids at school. Crazy people will always do crazy. It's just that for the U.S version of crazy, a gun is the most convenient tool. If crazy doesn't have that tool, they will find another.

You know what did stop this crazy guy? A good guy with a gun

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3
38 minutes ago, analog_kidd said:

And this happened today:
https://www.reuters.com/world/americas/four-children-killed-pre-school-attack-southern-brazil-2023-04-05/

Guy with an axe jumps the fence and kills 4 kids at school. Crazy people will always do crazy. It's just that for the U.S version of crazy, a gun is the most convenient tool. If crazy doesn't have that tool, they will find another.

Fact is a murderer will find a way to get their hands on a weapon to kill people. I read the article but never found the part about the good guy with the gun.

1 hour ago, analog_kidd said:

And this happened today:

Praying for all involved, especially the parents.

• Like 2
On 4/4/2023 at 8:41 AM, BigK said:

I looked it up yesterday, there's around 4,365 private and 1,920 public schools in TN.

Not looking to start any arguments, but that seems like an awful lot of private schools.  Where are all of them?  It's always seemed like here in West Tennessee the public schools outnumber the privates several times over ...

• Like 1