Weapon Light

Kohost

Thanks i might get one at a later date, i do armed security for my church.  There are darker areas but i dont think i could conceal my firearm with a light.  Im using a full size Shadow Systems.  

I have a CZ P-01 with a Baldr Olight with light, laser, or both at the same time. I'm very pleased with it as I usually run just the laser, but happy to have the light when I need it to confirm the target.

I also carry a hand flashlight for general searches.

I only carry OWB and it works great. Every handgun I buy now must have a rail for a laser/light.

CZ -01 w Baldr Olight ol.jpg

Edited by crc4
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I never had any experience with low light pistol shooting until I did a nighttime match last year using a handheld light with my handgun.  I found out that for me, stuff like reloading and clearing a stoppage is way slower and more complicated when my left hand is holding a separate flashlight. 

For general concealed carry I don't have a light mounted (for sake of concealability), but my bump in the night pistol at home absolutely has a mounted light.  

• Like 1

Im outside a lot at night, my workshop is separate from my house about 50 yds. Like you said holding a light and trying to load or clear your weapon is difficult.  I have had one instance at night with a drug head.  Another time my neighbors dog growled at me from 5’ on the other side of my truck nearly shot him.  The way I was trained was to have a visual id of my target.

one time I came out of the woods one late evening, felt like something was watching me.  Something jumped up and ran up a steep hill.  I couldnt open fire because i couldnt Id it.  I dont know what it was mountain lion, coyote, fox, stray dog or maybe a deer.

2 hours ago, crc4 said:

I have a CZ P-01 with a Baldr Olight with light, laser, or both at the same time. I'm very pleased with it as I usually run just the laser, but happy to have the light when I need it to confirm the target.

I also carry a hand flashlight for general searches.

I only carry OWB and it works great. Every handgun I buy now must have a rail for a laser/light.

CZ -01 w Baldr Olight ol.jpg

I have the exact same light, but on a CZ Phantom as my go-to gun I trust mine and my family's lives to. I sure to love my P-01 too though.

I have a light on my home defense pistol but not on any carry gun. I do have night sights on all my carry guns.  FN 509 tactical with Streamlight TLR 1, Vortex Venom red dot, raised night sights and 24 round magazine for home defense.

fn reduced.jpg

• Like 1

I have, and carry daily, a full kitted G19 w/Vortex Venom, a compensator, mag extension, and Olight Valkyrie Mini IWB or OWB with no problems on either or for concealability, but I use custom kydex holsters I molded and cut. I tried a lot of various holsters and lights, found that for what I wanted there wasn't a premade option available, and any holster maker around here was too busy to take on a special order, so I did it myself and couldn't be happier with the finished product.

• Like 2

Had a friend try a mounted light, a few years back, and it caused his pistol to have failures to cycle. Don't think the newer lights have that problem as they are much lighter. His was a Glock mdl 17, if memory serves me. I never tried one. 

Been thinking about putting on my Glock 45, which is my bedside home defense pistol. But I do also occasionally use it for a carry as well. So that would add the cost of a new holster as well. Just another one to go in the holster drawer. 😄

• Like 1

Have Streamlight TLR-1HL on my "house guns" G19 and G17 and streamlight TLR7-SUB on my carry P365.  As far as concealability items on the slide end of the gun don't seem to cause printing issues as they are under the waist band, the printing seems to come from the grip.  For this reason all of my carry guns have lights and all of my duty/house guns have lights as well.  Simple math is you are in the dark ~50% of the time, I would rather be able to have the ability to identify what I am shooting at with certainty.  Streamlight is a proven brand with plenty of real world experience that I trust for a pistol light without shelling out $250+ for a surefire. For the $100-150 I think it is worth the expense, also keep in mind that holster choices will be limited with a light and even more limited if you pick a less common light (Olight, Crimson Trace, Inforce, etc.)

What type of pistol are you looking to put a light on?

• Like 1

We keep lights on inside every night. Have multiple night light hallway lighting directed on the floor and lights on in the kitchen at night.  I know someone can turn lights off, and that is why the flashlights.

I don't use a light on my bedside gun, or any handgun. I keep a good flashlight and a bigger spotlight, with fresh batteries in both. My wife has a flashlight on her side also. This ties up the offhand, but I have accepted the drawback of that situation. 

The flash light system suites me. I did have thought of purchasing a light for my Mossberg shotgun, but never have as of yet. 

We had a prowler a few years ago. Followed my daughter home, late at night, and was peeping in the front door glass. She worked as a car hop at Sonic and the dude followed her when she left. He was watching her, so I installed several lights and really lit up the outside of our home well. Also installed an audible driveway alarm. Light is a real deterrent, most times. 

Edited to add; I don't like the idea of pointing a loaded gun at someone in the night. I know some say one can point it at the floor and use ambient light to identify, but I can point a flashlight also. 

Edited by pop pop
  • Like 2
  • Wow 1
  • Administrator

OLight couldn't make a clunkier light unless they started using 1980's Soviet technology.  Those lights are HUGE pieces of junk.  Yeah, that will ruffle feathers but I care about you so I'm going to tell you it's crap.  🙂

For concealed carry I run Streamlight TLR-7A lights because any lumens are better than no lumens.  I also carry one of my handheld Cloud Defensive MCH lights to augment the TLR7A.

I do have a few Surefire X300-U/B lights if I want to tote something around that has more lumens, but these suck for concealed carry, in my opinion, and are better for OWB / duty carry.  My use for those lights is pretty slim.

i-sKPC5Bn-X2.jpg

• Like 3