Looking for gun "safe" opinions

I've been looking for a safe since I need more storage space and it seems like a great time to get one with the sales tax being waived and all.

I can't afford a proper one like from AmSec, unfortunately; nor can I haul a safe myself.

It would be going in the garage, so hopefully it would be well sealed enough for a small dehumidifier solution to keep it rust free.

I've been looking around but it feels like everything I could get is the same 14ish gauge steel around fire board construction, with an e-lock of debatable quality and sometimes backup physical keys.

So my question is, is a cheap "safe" like that worth the almost $1k cost? Are there any brands or retailers you'd recommend over others based on ease of bulk shipping or customer service? Or is there a used safe shop or something I should look at instead?

Do your self a favor. Save your money, buy a good safe. After someone breaks into you cheap safe you will spend way more money the second time replacing you firearms and buying a good safe to keep your firearms safe.

I would say a cheap safe is better than no safe. I'm well aware that it is possible for a seasoned criminal to break into a cheap safe in a short amount of time. But most of the time thieves are going to come in, grab whatever they quickly can and get out. I'll take that TSC Canon Special over nothing. (and have been for over a decade).  When I bought mine a "quality" safe was completely out of my budget, mine has served me well, but I haven't been broken into. I was well overdue for an upgrade 19 gun purchases ago 🤣🤣🤣

Buying a gun safe was the hardest thing for me to do. I knew I needed one, but very hard for me to spend the money. Know what you are going thru!

I also purchased a Cannon Gun Safe from TSC years ago. They do not deliver so you would need to get it to your house. Sometimes they put them on sale. My Cannon holds 42 guns, so they say. I think they called it a "Fat Boy" at the time. I have a friend that purchased the biggest safe TSC has around the same time I purchased the one I have 20 years ago. Ours have served us well. It cost 1/3 what a Liberty safe cost at that time. I got mine on a special sale.  I checked out the Safe House in Nashville, and also D T McCall's in Carthage. Purchased form TSC. Good luck on your find, TSG. 

Edited to add; I think my safe weighed 500 pounds. We moved it in the house strapped on a 2 wheeled dolly. It is 60" tall, 24" deep, and 40" wide.  I picked it up on an 8'x12' lawn mower trailer and we rolled it off on the dolly and into the house. Was not a large job. The safe House delivers for a small fee. I have been well satisfied with the Cannon. 

Edited by pop pop
  • Like 1

I bought a Champion Victory safe a few years ago. Some place in the Knoxville area, I dont remember the name. Discount Safe, or something like that.

Supposedly a $1500 safe, was on sale for $800. Weighs 650 lbs. I picked it up in my truck and my wife and I moved it into the house without 'too much' trouble-lol.

I have to agree with the philosophy that any safe is better than none, even a cheapo one.

However I love reading those articles about hiding guns in the house. Especially the trick about using an old water heater hollowed out, with a couple fake water lines coming out of it. You put it on a revolving lazy susan or something, and have a door cut in the back of it.

• Like 1
  • Moderators

I have 4 safes. Cannon Fat Boy, 2 TreadWells that are no longer in production,  and my last safe was a Browning Medallion 65T.  They each serve the purpose for what I have in them. I purchased the Browning from Knoxville Safe House in Alcoa TN.  They were great to work with answering all of my questions.  Fire ratings, water ratings, etc are all over the place so you need to discuss what you will be keeping in the safe.  It ultimately comes down to budget and getting the best safe for your needs within that budget.  When I built out my gun room I made that room as fire and waterproof as feasable because I have a lot of guns displayed on the walls.  Unfortunately, there is nothing that will protect at 100%.  

Parker's Safes is a vendor on the Forum and I have heard nothing but good things about them.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Tom B said:

I bought a Champion Victory safe a few years ago. Some place in the Knoxville area, I dont remember the name. Discount Safe, or something like that.

Supposedly a $1500 safe, was on sale for $800. Weighs 650 lbs. I picked it up in my truck and my wife and I moved it into the house without 'too much' trouble-lol.

I have to agree with the philosophy that any safe is better than none, even a cheapo one.

However I love reading those articles about hiding guns in the house. Especially the trick about using an old water heater hollowed out, with a couple fake water lines coming out of it. You put it on a revolving lazy susan or something, and have a door cut in the back of it.

If this was on the east end of Knoxville that was likely Champions "Outlet" store which has returned models, scratch and dent models, etc. Champion has stood the test of time in this house.

• Like 1

@10-RingYeah, that's what I've been thinking. Break in risk is already low in my neighborhood and frankly my collection isn't exactly high dollar.

Maybe by the time I look at another safe years down the line that risk analysis will change.

@pop pop I've been looking at a safe almost exactly like that. Only difference being I'd need it to be delivered- I could maybe borrow a truck, but don't have a trailer nor do I think I could haul it alone.

I might check out Parker's Safes before I make a purchase.

Thanks for the replies y'all.

I have a fairly inexpensive Winchester Tractor Supply safe that turned into my upstairs safe after moving to a free state and needing more room.  I bought a Liberty with mechanical dial lock, I don't trust the electronic locks.  I have the Liberty in my shop and it is big enough I haven't  out grown the two together yet and have about 1/2 the Liberty either empty or for part of my ammo storage. I bought from a local gun store that offered delivery for an extra charge. It important to anchor what ever you buy to the fall or floor or both.

I agree with those that say any safe is better than none. 

19 hours ago, FUJIMO said:

f this was on the east end of Knoxville that was likely Champions "Outlet" store which has returned models, scratch and dent models, etc. Champion has stood the test of time in this house.

Yes thats the place. The guy there helped me load the safe onto my truck, we used cardboard on the truck bed and it went in SOO easy. I was surprised how much harder it was to get the damn thing out-lol.

• Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

There is a military guy in Collierville selling a Browning Pro Staff Sporter 24 safe here on TGO. As of this minute he's asking $800. These are great quality safes for the money (12ga steel; fire rated; dial lock)

Rent a small U-Haul with the appliance dolly (the one with straps) and you can move it yourself or with one helper. Weighs about 500lbs, give or take 50lbs. Maybe you negotiate the price based on your costs to move it (u-haul & dolly rental?) I'm sure the seller would help you from his end with getting it loaded. Then you just figure out how to unload at your end. Some TGO friends might even be found to assist. 

Yes, you need a safe. No you don't want HarborFreight level cheap, but you don't need top of the line expensive either. The Browning would serve you well.

I messaged him - thank you so much for looking out! I am certainly willing to help. I have rented one of those dollies (long story but it involved moving an empty Jack Daniels barrel upstairs and placing it on a senior Officer's desk as we had stolen it from him the night before) and it was pretty handy.

• Like 1

If you're not in a hurry and the Browning in Collierville doesn't work out (if it was in Nashville I'd have already bought that one 🙂 ) , keep a watch on Craigslist, FB Marketplace, and estate sales (I use EstateSales.net for that one). You'll find quality name brand safes for way less than new. It may take a few weeks/months for one to show up that you like at a price you like in a location you like, but it will.

Edited by monkeylizard

If you find a good deal on a mid range quality safe that you feel you cannot move yourself there are a number of places that will move a safe for $250~$300 dollars.

With that said I have moved two of the "mid range" safes myself with just a pickup truck and an appliance dolly. A safe in the 400lb range (most of your small to mid size Cannon/Liberty/Winchester big box store safes) is fairly easy to move for one person. A second set of hands is nice though.

A safe in the 600lb range is very manageable for one person but only from a trailer and into a ground floor with minimal steps or height changes. I would not do a 600lb safe from a truck bed by myself and likely would want at least 1 or 2 strong helpers. 

My truck bed is average height, F150 with OEM tires and no lift, but I do have a topper so I had to lay the last safe down. This actually made it easier to get out with some loading ramps I had. If you can beg, borrow, or rent a small trailer with a ramp gate moving a safe with an appliance dolly is easy. Side note: there is some risk laying a safe down on its side or back. Some lock mechanisms could be damaged by doing that but I have never had that issue. Just beware of that risk and don't jump any rail road tracks on your way home with it. 

I fall into the "cheap is better than nothing" camp. A big box store Black Friday safe is much better than a stack-on cabinet and worlds better than the back of a closet. If a motivated thief wants into your safe they are getting in. A safe is not single line of defense, it is one part of a good system. The real security is having that safe in a semi secure location behind locked doors preferably with a monitored alarm system, smoke detectors, and in a perfect world a sprinkler suppression system. A safe slows everything down. It will slow down fire damage and it will slow down a motivated thief, hopefully long enough for fire department and/or police to show up and handle things if I am not there. 

I consider my safe as primarily fire protection, secondarily as access protection from children or visitors, and third as theft prevention/deterrence. 

• Like 4

Unfortunately williamv's safe won't work out for me but I appreciate the heads up.

I've been browsing around the used sites but haven't found much. I'm keeping an eye out but might end up having to order one shipped. Home Depot seems to have free shipping on some not too heavily marked up options, but their shipping makes me leery after some prior bad experience.

Costco has a few and state that delivery is to a ground floor access. In other words they will deliver but they are not going to take it up a flight of stairs. Probably a lift gate and a pallet jack.

Tractor Supply says they will deliver to my area but oversized charges may apply. 

With you being up in Clarksville you should check on Rural King as well. They have a few if I am not mistaken. A quick look on their website shows they have Cannon with a Home Delivery option. 

• 2 months later...

READ —— If you’re looking for a gun safe do your due diligence.  Take the time to research the different manufacturers. Look at fire rating, can it be secured to the foundation, plan for what you have now and future additions.  If you have say 7 firearms look at least double the size, you’ll thank yourself later. Look at safes with interior hinges and cannot be pried open with a pry bar.

I made all the rookie mistakes…bought too small and too cheap to start…then bought too big and massive with my Browning….had a great buying experience with the safe house in nashville though…wonderful family owned business and would pay more to give my money to a locally owned shop. If I had to do it all over again, I’d take a much different approach.

While I usually like more expensive stuff as I prioritize quality over anything else, the reality is unless you are going to get a commercial grade safe, a thief that wants our stuff will get it with the right tools and intel, a safe just slows em down as they say. Now fire protection could be a different story and I’ve heard conflicting reviews and dissenting opinions on fire protection. 

If I had to do it all over again, I would have purchased several smaller safes that allow me to easily unbolt, move, etc. I have a massive safe expensive safe but it could only go in one place which is probably the best location for fire, the worst location for access & the least enjoyable location for yours truly…the garage! By going with 2-3 smaller safes, you get modularity, mobility and more location choices that aid your ability to conceal and have personal access to them…for cleaning, enjoying, etc. or if something goes bump in the night.

Once my partners and I get out of the software industry, I’m very seriously considering a new line of products that unifies your access to a line of safes via digital, biometric or voice authentication and gives you the ability to scale up or scale down as your needs demand. This is one industry that needs real disruption! 

Dang, back reading this topic again... I need a safe, don't want it in the garage due to heat/humidity

No place to put it downstairs that 1. will fit, 2. the wife will accept so my only real option is upstairs

Opinions on a 600lb safe upstairs... not the moving part, just that much weight on the second floor

In my case, it could be loaded on or adjacent to an exterior wall which is load bearing so that is good

Thanks, Rick

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, Toy4Rick said:

Dang, back reading this topic again... I need a safe, don't want it in the garage due to heat/humidity

No place to put it downstairs that 1. will fit, 2. the wife will accept so my only real option is upstairs

Opinions on a 600lb safe upstairs... not the moving part, just that much weight on the second floor

In my case, it could be loaded on or adjacent to an exterior wall which is load bearing so that is good

Thanks, Rick

Have you considered going with two separate 300lbs-ers? If I had it to do over again, I would go with three smaller matching safes or possibly modular units so I’m not committed to one box. We are taught to diversify finances and not have all our proverbial eggs in one basket right? Why doesn’t the same apply to securing guns and valuables? As long as you have a quality heating element in the safe, I wouldn’t worry about the heat and humidity even in the South. For long term preservation, a little barricade and wool storage socks will protect your firearms 100%….at least from heat and humidity. It doesn’t take much of a temperature delta to minimize your humidity concerns. It’s a legitimate concern for sure…I’ve had zero issues with humidity but I take a layered approach…heating element, barricade, wool preservation sock. 

I like the idea of having two 500 pound Liberty or Cannons then hanging 4 or 5 $200 rifles on the wall. A thief would grab an armload of the cheap guns and run leaving the safes and better guns behind. He will almost always choose the easier option.

• Like 2
On 2/20/2024 at 6:08 PM, Dawg1998 said:

Have you considered going with two separate 300lbs-ers? If I had it to do over again, I would go with three smaller matching safes or possibly modular units so I’m not committed to one box. We are taught to diversify finances and not have all our proverbial eggs in one basket right? Why doesn’t the same apply to securing guns and valuables? As long as you have a quality heating element in the safe, I wouldn’t worry about the heat and humidity even in the South. For long term preservation, a little barricade and wool storage socks will protect your firearms 100%….at least from heat and humidity. It doesn’t take much of a temperature delta to minimize your humidity concerns. It’s a legitimate concern for sure…I’ve had zero issues with humidity but I take a layered approach…heating element, barricade, wool preservation sock. 

Yes @Dawg1998, my wife and I started having this conversation last night after reading the thread above about such an approach...  in fact, it might actually allow me to have a smaller safe downstairs where a large one wouldn't go or wouldn't be allowed... 

🙂

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Toy4Rick said:

Yes @Dawg1998, my wife and I started having this conversation last night after reading the thread above about such an approach...  in fact, it might actually allow me to have a smaller safe downstairs where a large one wouldn't go or wouldn't be allowed... 

🙂

“Mama management” is super important and completely undervalued in the safe industry. I still get a rash of negative remarks about our Browning Pro safe so out of sight out of mind isn’t just a decent layered security approach but also a win for “mama management!”😂

On 2/20/2024 at 5:09 PM, Toy4Rick said:

Thanks, Rick

Heat and humidity is a problem...but unless you are in the extremes of each, they can be mitigated.

On our last move, I framed in a corner of the attached garage with the intent of a total "box-in" doing an 8 foot roof on it. After getting the room footprint laid out, I decided to take the walls all the way up to the ceiling, giving me room to make shelves all around the room at an 8' level. 

That has worked out very well, giving me much overhead space for items that are not too heavy.

To get back on track, I use a room dehumidifer from Home Depot, and a fan for air circulation in the 10x12 space. I began using the "recharagable" dessicant units to control humidity in the safes, placing 2 larger units in each safe. also placed a hygrometer in each to monitor the humidity levels.

After the hassle of recharging, and the poor lifespan of those units; I went to the "GoldenRod" electric dehunidifers. Comparing the 2 forms...I found the Goldenrod to be more to my liking. They took less space and controlled the humidity just as well as the others.

I was able to keep a 35-45% humidity easily in the safes. The Goldenrods can also offer benefits of air circulation in the safes when closed up. Maybe a minor help on heating, but not more than a few degrees at best.

As for heat, I've used a portable standup room heater for years. I set the auto thermostat on it for 57 degrees (just an arbitary guess here), and still leave the fan on to aid in moving the heated air around.

It's a simple method, and not up to the standards of people who can build a gun room/museum/armory (Yep. Just a little poke at you TripleGGG), but it does work for me.

BUT...If I had it to do over, I would change a few things. Primarily doing a LARGER room (LOL), and doing a spray insulation on the the block walls and the stud walls.

This has been a poor man's attempt at finding a solution. I just didn't go far enough.

As for the safe issue, my first one was a Liberty from Buford Tune and his business when he was on Murfreesboro Road. That's been a lot of years back! Safe was the standard entry level...28x32x60, IIRC. Next came a decent StackOn from Dick's. Back in the days before they went full tilt boogie anti gun and ammo.

A huge, heavy sucker that I sat up for pistols. Later on I converted it to ammo storage. I ripped out the cheap shelving and built some from some true 1" laminate I had gotten from my Father-in-law.

Last purchase was a Browning ProSteel from our buddies at the Safe House, That was around 2013/14. Expensive? Yes. But my wife went along and convinced me it was worth the cost. At that time, I had some more expensive tastes. So 2/3 pistol loss would have been equal to the safe cost.

Amazing that my wife actually used this argument on me! She won. I fought hard, but gave in.

Well this has been a long post, but in short...just consider what you have, possibly will have in the future, and buy appropiately.

So while directed  Toy4Rick, I think it's valid for anyone to hear my long tale.

Good luck Rick.   

Edited by hipower