Snow

It was 12* when I got up around 6:30am this morning, dog wanted/needed to go out soon thereafter.  Not any fun for sure.  Noticed last night during the final dog walk of the day that all of the yards had a nice glare to them, the layer of snow had melted and re-froze several times, so it's a sketchy just walking the dog.  LOL  The dog had a case of the zoomies on this glazed over snow just a few minutes ago, and busted her azz pretty good so I had to out a stop to that before she broke a leg or worse.  Noticed that the neighbor's roof that faces east has a nice "sheen" on it as well from the thaw/freeze cycles as do all the other roofs.  

Didn't notice any ice dams on the gutters, but shouldn't be a problem for a few more days.  Hopefully it will just melt, and not fall or cause any damage to property.  Our driveway has turned to solid ice now, can see the concrete color thru the ice, but the paved road in our SD is dry and clear.  I can see traffic on the highway about a half mile away moving along pretty good. 

Made some chili (with beans to start the argument again) yesterday, so we're good for supper for a day or two.  LOL  Finished off the pot roast last night, the left over veggie soup the night before, so things are moving along well here.  LOL

• Like 3
1 hour ago, papa61 said:

My choice of Buick Regal TourX wit AWD justified again. S

Wagons FTW!

Those ice dams aren't a big deal, just don't be under them when they break loose. If you had 3 ft of snow, it'd be different. 

Our dog usually loves the snow, he'll zoom around and get covered in it. He doesn't like this frozen crust at all, it think it hurts his feet.  

• Like 2
25 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Would a 12 gauge slug or .45-70 be appropriate for breaking up some seriously thick ice on the front walkway?  😀

Buck shot would cover more area.😉

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Garufa said:

We need to break and dislodge, not season, the ice.

I scraped the top layer off my driveway this afternoon when the sun was shining.  Now I have a skating rink out there. I did a Fred Flintstone with the flying feet when I almost fell on my butt. Maybe the sun will shine again tomorrow?

• Like 1

I guess we're  in just the right place. Temps have remained below freezing, but the sun has been bright and working overtime. In my neighborhood driveways and sidewalks are now clean and so is much of the street. 👍

I haven't gone anywhere, so no idea what the rest of the city is like. 🙄

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Darrell said:

I scraped the top layer off my driveway this afternoon when the sun was shining.  Now I have a skating rink out there. I did a Fred Flintstone with the flying feet when I almost fell on my butt. Maybe the sun will shine again tomorrow?

I  was curious yesterday afternoon about our driveway, took a shovel out there and it was mostly clear ice, and about 1/2" thick, it would support my weight (200#) w/o cracking.  I was able to remove about 6 sq ft of ice that came loose easily, but the rest was still pretty much one big piece of ice, so I quit while I was ahead (had not fallen).  One small piece of loose ice just slowly slid across the driveway like an ice cube accidentally dropped on the kitchen floor that slides under the fridge.  I came back inside.  LOL  

Wife was watching me thru the front door yelling at me to be careful.  LOL

• Haha 3
55 minutes ago, jpx2rk said:

Wife was watching me thru the front door yelling at me to be careful.  LOL

You'd think they would learn by now that this has no impact on us.  If anything, it just distracts me and makes me less careful. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
3 hours ago, Darrell said:

Five below on my porch this morning. I've had enough now.

We were at 7*F at 530 am. Now 21*F, and things are getting better as far as the roads.

5 hours ago, Erik88 said:

You'd think they would learn by now that this has no impact on us.  If anything, it just distracts me and makes me less careful. 

Women can be just as, if NOT more stubborn than the male gender, JMO.  Yet they fuss like crazy at us for being stubborn.  LOL

• Admin Team

Took a bunch of scouts camping this weekend.  It was -3F when we got up this morning.

We had a giant bonfire and had a ball. I don’t think I’ve ever seen that much of Old Hickory Lake frozen. I had forgotten how many truly strange noises frozen lakes make. It was groaning and whining all night long.

We cooked in cast irons and Dutch ovens all weekend.   I bet they all consumed 5000 calories yesterday. 

• Like 7
  • Love 3
  • Haha 1
16 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

Took a bunch of scouts camping this weekend.

When I was a young Jarhead I used to love to take my old pickup to Lake Arrowhead and snow camp during the winter. There was never anyone else there, and a weekend of fishing and solitude was great. You, however, are FAR tougher than I ever was if you can do that with a bunch of kids!

• Like 1
  • Admin Team
45 minutes ago, Darrell said:

When I was a young Jarhead I used to love to take my old pickup to Lake Arrowhead and snow camp during the winter. There was never anyone else there, and a weekend of fishing and solitude was great. You, however, are FAR tougher than I ever was if you can do that with a bunch of kids!

We took 16 scouts and 7 adults. I hate the cold - but you have the opportunity to teach so many lessons you just won’t get to teach otherwise.

Starting a fire in the snow might save your life one day. You can’t teach it if you’re not out in it.

I was really surprised that we had that many go - because it was truly cold.  But I chalk that up to two things:

1. We’ve fostered an amazing amount of trust. Our parents know the ASMs and trust that we won’t put our scouts in situations where they’re in real danger.  To be clear - cold like that we had this weekend is truly dangerous - but everything we did had guardrails.  Being uncomfortable is fine. A lot of learning happens there.  But, you need to have comfort as a parent that those guardrails are there.  

2. After a week of snow - we had a bunch of parents who were like, “you need to be out of my house - right now.”

31 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

What were their sleeping bags rated to? That's impressive. 

Everyone was in zero degree bags - some with liners.  We actually slept in a shelter - so sleeping temp was probably in the mid 20s.  Where the boys slept was likely a few degrees warmer than that due to the fact that they were packed in there like sardines. 

• Like 5
15 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

We took 16 scouts and 7 adults. I hate the cold - but you have the opportunity to teach so many lessons you just won’t get to teach otherwise.

Starting a fire in the snow might save your life one day. You can’t teach it if you’re not out in it.

I was really surprised that we had that many go - because it was truly cold.  But I chalk that up to two things:

1. We’ve fostered an amazing amount of trust. Our parents know the ASMs and trust that we won’t put our scouts in situations where they’re in real danger.  To be clear - cold like that we had this weekend is truly dangerous - but everything we did had guardrails.  Being uncomfortable is fine. A lot of learning happens there.  But, you need to have comfort as a parent that those guardrails are there.  

2. After a week of snow - we had a bunch of parents who were like, “you need to be out of my house - right now.”

Everyone was in zero degree bags - some with liners.  We actually slept in a shelter - so sleeping temp was probably in the mid 20s.  Where the boys slept was likely a few degrees warmer than that due to the fact that they were packed in there like sardines. 

GOOD on you, and the parents, are most appreciative of the peace for the time you provided.  LOL

• Like 3