TN Parent Arrested Trying to Pick Up His Own Kids

Jumping line is not against the law. Yeah it pisses people off but what law have they broken? And more importantly what remedy can someone get against someone who cut in line? Nothing. People can bitch, grip and complain about it but beyond that nothing else can be done unless the property owner/manager decides to ask the person to leave the property. If a parent chooses to walk rather than wait it is not their fault the rest chose to sit along side of the road.

The officer kept on using inflammatory adjectives to try to provoke the parent into a confrontation but he didn't bite. And when he didn't bite it upset the officer so he arrested him.

The officer should be fired and charged criminally for kidnapping both the parent and the children. The sheriff should be charged with obstruction of justice for not investigating and suspended until another election can he held. The school principle should be fired and charged as well for being a coconspirator to the kidnapping of the children. And the taxpayers of the county should pay these parents millions for electing the sheriff but not before the officer, the sheriff and the principle are court ordered to give all their property and assets to the parents. Maybe when people like this start having to live under a bridge with their families they will see the error of their ways. But what is going to happen is nothing. The officer will continue to work there and will stand behind the immunity of being a member of the sheriff's office.

I hate officers that over step their authority and this was not a baby step but a world record leap.

Dang. Y'all are tough. A judge should just give the big guy permission to whip Donut Boy's ass in front of everybody. That will fix a whole lot of it.

• Like 3
Once school is over walking up and picking up a child they are considered a walker. Signing the form that would allow the child to walk with the father is all he needed to do. My kids school has a similar plan. After a certain time checking them out is not a option they either get on a bus or they are a car rider or a walker. There are no other options. The over reaction of the officer was unfortunate but both parties could have done better. The power LE has to make ones life miserable is often abused.

I think that would be letting him off way too easy...  I think getting turned out by his cellmate Bubba for the rest of his life is a much more deserving punishment.

If you or I made a citizens arrest and got it wrong, we'd spend years if not the rest of our lives in jail on kidnapping charges.  This Captain Donut here should have known better and abused his authority and violated the parents rights under the color of law.

He should have the book thrown at him, anything short of a prison sentence for Captain Donut is unacceptable, and the Sheriff should be ran out of town on a rail for refusing the fire this idiot.

Dang. Y'all are tough. A judge should just give the big guy permission to whip Donut Boy's ass in front of everybody. That will fix a whole lot of it.

• Like 1

Just because a government bureaucrat makes up a policy and puts it in writing doesn't make it legal.  More importantly the policy doesn't appear to cover the situation you're describing so all the actions were taken outside of the written policy.

State law is clear once the school day is over the school is obligated to return custody to the guardian on demand, it doesn't allow for any exceptions outside the scope of student or staff safety, neither of which are anywhere near applicable here.

And the form they asked him to sign granted the kids the ability to walk home without the father, if that is against his wishes how can he be required to sign the form?

The school administrators are wrong, and should be facing criminal charges.  And Captain Donut should be sharing a cell with Bubba tonight on felony kidnapping charges.

Frankly I'm surprised the dad didn't beat the snot out of the deputy, and I doubt you'd find 12 men and women in Cumberland County that would have convicted him for doing it.

Once school is over walking up and picking up a child they are considered a walker. Signing the form that would allow the child to walk with the father is all he needed to do. My kids school has a similar plan. After a certain time checking them out is not a option they either get on a bus or they are a car rider or a walker. There are no other options. The over reaction of the officer was unfortunate but both parties could have done better. The power LE has to make ones life miserable is often abused.

• Like 3

if he walks the kids home regularly couldn't he just wait outside to greet his kid when the kid is released and then walk him home?  If he has done this in the past wouldn't the school be aware?

I am not defending the cop, don't really care.   Lots of cops are jerks,  lots of them are stand up guys(gals).

Why do people have to be full of drama?  How freaking hard is it to wait and then walk your kid home?

And....  Somebody in a previous post axed why schools need police there.  Maybe previous school shootings have been missed or something.  I like seeing cops at my grandkids school.

• Like 1

That SRO made Barney Fife seem like a calm, cool and collected rocket scientist. He needs to get back on his meds before he hurts himself.

I'm surprised he didn't punch dad in the fist with his face.

I'm pretty much with JayC on this...since when does a "school policy" override a parent's right to control his/her own children (such as deciding to walk them home rather than wait in a mile-long like of cars to pick them up?

I'm not saying that this parent couldn't have handled the situation better and without question, this cop was completely out of control and should, at the very least, lose a few weeks of pay, but still..if I go to school to pick up my child, early in the day...middle of the day...end of the school day; whatever...they had damn sure better produce my child.

• Like 4

Glenn Beck just finished discussing this on the radio.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

Story has been linked on Drudge Report.

I bet the Sherriff has watched the video by now.  Probably regrets his stupid comment.

• Like 1

Well, it certainly appears this is on going, as the school security guy calls the dad "Jim"  and refers to past episodes. Jim say's he been to jail before and doesn't mind going back again? I don't know all the facts naturally but, I suspect there's more to the story and the dad is pushing hard to document his point of view / school policy.

It's my conviction a parent (with no court orders, not intoxicated etc.) has the legal and moral right to pick up their children anytime and for any reason. If it results in continued disruptions and distractions to the students / teachers  and/or it's affecting the child's learning and grades from absenteeism, the school has the responsibility to maintain a positive learning environment without disruptions where administrative punitive actions can be applied.

Could it be a case of estranged parents?

There are no custody issues here other than the school holding his children hostage after the school day is over.  He is a legal guardian and normally picks his kids up from school.  The issue here is that the school instituted a new pickup policy that even the sheriff has admit is causing an unsafe situation in and around the school.

The 'security guy' Captain Donut made some rude comments the day before to Mr Howe and Mr Howe called the sheriff and complained...  the comments from Captain Donut stem from that complaint and him being clearly upset having his boss called.

And btw, Howe showed up outside at the normal pickup point, and it was Captain Donut that told him to go into the office... after school was let out, so there is no way Mr Howe's complaint impacted learning in anyway shape or form.

But lets be honest exactly how is a public school in this state ever a 'positive learning environment'?  It's a daycare prison at the best of times, not a learning institution.

Well, it certainly appears this is on going, as the school security guy calls the dad "Jim"  and refers to past episodes. Jim say's he been to jail before and doesn't mind going back again? I don't know all the facts naturally but, I suspect there's more to the story and the dad is pushing hard to document his point of view / school policy.

It's my conviction a parent (with no court orders, not intoxicated etc.) has the legal and moral right to pick up their children anytime and for any reason. If it results in continued disruptions and distractions to the students / teachers  and/or it's affecting the child's learning and grades from absenteeism, the school has the responsibility to maintain a positive learning environment without disruptions where administrative punitive actions can be applied.

Could it be a case of estranged parents?

• Like 2

If the right people get hold of this one; it's a long way from over... This whole thing is, in fact, at best, a screw-up on the sheriff's deputy's part; and, at worst, an unlawful use of police power... The sheriff aint much better, much less the Cumberland County educrats...

While im on the subject; it seems to me that some pretty interesting and strange things are goin on in Cumberland county around this sheriff's department anyway... Witness the shooting of the four kids that wuz confessed to by an apparent dopehead and his wife... I think this one is a bit too convenient....   As i remember, he entered a guilty plea and apparently is tryin to waive the trial; very interestin, indeed...

As ive opined before; ive seen some things  over around Crab Orchard in clear sight of the interstate that made me very uncomfortable... I dont anymore believe the dopehead killed them kids than i believe that i killed Cock Robin... There seems to be some very wrong things showin up in lots of places over there; but that's just me... After all, im a pretty suspicious old coot....

This one will be very interesting to watch...

suspicious leroy

• Like 1

There are no custody issues here other than the school holding his children hostage after the school day is over. He is a legal guardian and normally picks his kids up from school. The issue here is that the school instituted a new pickup policy that even the sheriff has admit is causing an unsafe situation in and around the school.

Source?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Guest Bonedaddy

My main gripe with this is the lack of forethought, knowledge of law and just plain ol' common sense by the authority figures over there. I mean...damn. Are they really that dull? I know the schools in Crockett county ain't as big as that'n, apparently but at least we thought of that situation the fella is tryin' to get through their thick skulls. Here, the special needs children are the first to be picked up by a parent, then walk up parents (same as dude) are the next to get their kids, then those in cars with a placard number, then the buses (those kids know they're gettin' home, later, anyway, so why not let them be last). Everyone is out and headed home in approximately half an hour. All schools have different release times so everyone can schedule a pickup and allow the buses to hit all the schools. Makes more sense that way, laws aren't broken, no need for an RSO and everyone is happy with it. How hard is it to use a little sense?

With 3,464 comments so far. :) Maybe the Sherriff will review all the evidence here and actually make an effort to correct this SRO. Oh wait I am was thinking rationally and we all know that wont happen.

I would like to know if that Deputy is still the SRO at that school, if not what duty has he been assigned to?

Hopefully his next assignment will be as the training dummy for full body cavity searches with every department in the state. It couldn't happen to a nicer guy.