Coffee Pot Rant!

broox

So, two weeks ago we moved into a new house.  I have had the same coffee maker for ten years, plain jane mr coffee coffee maker.  I decide to treat myself to a new one in our new house.  I buy one at Walmart for 20$.  It does not work- won't turn on/off.  Okay, I take it back and instead of getting a replacement, I get the next step up- 25$.  This coffee pot works, except it beeps.  This thing beeps loud whenever the coffee is ready.  I really think that is a dumb idea.  I set the thing to come on 30 minutes before I am going to get up, I don't want it beeping.  So I am telling my mom this story over dinner the other night, the next day, she drops a new coffee pot off at my house.   It also beeps, not as loud though.  It is things like this that drive me crazy.

I like the plain jane type, just a Kenmore $25-6 cup model with auto-shutoff after 1 hour. I do require the auto-shutoff. I know some people who have those $100+ one cup deals, I don't think the coffee is any better than my plain ol Maxwell House dark roast, and coffee is a heck of a lot cheaper than the little cups.

P.S. No beeps either, it has a timer but I never use it. Edited by K191145
I had one of those beepers too, it's in the yard sale pile now. Got one of those one cup makers for Christmas and It is awesome. I don't use the cups, too expensive, I've got a refillable basket that let's me use my coffee. I like it because I have no more burnt or wasted java.
  • Like 1

I have been using a Black and Decker or about 8 years now. I prepare coffee the night before and when I get up next morning I have fresh coffee. It has auto turn off in 2 hours. I actually have two of them. One new in the box. Nothing I hate more than to not have my coffee in the morning. I bought these two while they were on sale at Walmart 8 years ago. Bought  the back up because got up one day to cold coffee. Old maker made the coffee but hot pad was not working. Heated coffee in Micro wave that morning but went that day and bought the two. As far as the beeper thingy, That would not really bother me because I am tone deaf and probably would not hear it anyway.   I guess if I was going to buy a new one I would read all the options offered by maker before buying it.................jmho

This (Keurig) when I'm really in a hurry (with my own blend, of course):

s831710794354555827_p324_i1_w580.jpeg

And THIS when I'm not in a hurry....

bodum-chambord-32-ounce-french-press.jpg

I have yet to find anything that makes coffee better than a french press.

You all can keep your lousy Wal-mart drip machines :hiding: -- a good cup of coffee is well worth the wait. :drool:

Edited by tartanphantom
  • Like 5

I have yet to find anything that makes coffee better than a french press.

You all can keep your lousy Wal-mart drip machines  :hiding: -- a good cup of coffee is well worth the wait.  :drool:

I couldn't agree more!!

Plus, my french press doesn't beep at all  :taunt: 

...of course it also can't be programmed to have coffee ready when I wake up either LOL

Edited by BigK
  • Like 1

This is my coffee maker.  It cost me $4 and it has yet to beep at me:

img58c.jpg

Add in some quality coffee, and you can get a cup just like you want it.

Same. Melitta pour over, makes excellent coffee.

One day, I'll own a Chemex.

Cheap Mr. Coffee with timer and auto cutoff worked fine for last decade. Had a backup Mr. Coffee with no timer or cutoff, works fine too, but think I'll splurge and get the original type again. 

I do miss having the coffee hot and waiting when I get up, and also do occasionally have hard baked dry coffee sludge in bottom of pot from forgetting to turn it off. Them pyrex pots are tough though, never cracked one from the heat.

Love all kinds of coffee and ways to make it, but for convenience had to beat plain ole drip. Use a pedestrian brand like Folgers mostly day to day, but keep some nicer ground stuff too, and also like Luziannne. 

I get a cup of espresso most days too, by pouring the first half cup as soon as that much hits the pot!

I enjoy a great cup of coffee but admit it's mostly just the drug itself is number one reason I consume it. I'd never mess with decaf if that's all there were.  Hell, in a pinch, I've mixed instant with cold water and chugged it just to get the fix.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Still rocking the Senseo. I hear the newer models aren't as sturdy but I have an older model ready to go if my current one dies. There was a scare on the pods for a little while (cheaper then Keurig) but plenty of sources online for various blends.

French press is backup but I play with this once in a while. Usually just to show other people.

41RRhLDlNxL.jpg

Of course, there's also this option, which I use while camping:

Grind the coffe beans.

Put them in the pot.

Add water.

Apply heat to boil.

Wait.

Drink your coffee, enjoy the crunchies.

• Like 2

Of course, there's also this option, which I use while camping:

Grind the coffe beans.

Put them in the pot.

Add water.

Apply heat to boil.

Wait.

Drink your coffee, enjoy the crunchies.

Sounds like a backwoods version of turkish coffee. :)

quite popular at civil war encampments, too.

Edited by tartanphantom
  • Like 1

I'm a Chemex guy.  Grind right before I brew... boil the water in a sauce pan and pour with a pyrex.  ... No need to buy a grinder right away...you can grind at the store where you buy it...  

- fairly coarse grind in the chemex brings wonderful things.  smoooooooooth.  no beeps.  no plastics - takes maybe 10 minutes... (that includes doing other things while the water boils).  I like the ritual in the morning... it is calming - if a bit artful.

I still drink Starbucks coffee, black - when I have a meeting there (worst coffee in town), but the Chemex and grinder have turned me into a coffee snob.  

Good luck with your journeys.