Got made at a wedding this past weekend...

The wife and I went to a nice outdoor wedding in the country over the weekend as guests of the bride. Halfway through the reception the brides mom comes up and asks if i was carrying, to which i answered I was. She knows us well and wasn't bothered by it but when we asked how she knew she said another guest pointed it out to her and asked if I was the security! (open bar, security is required) We all shared a good laugh and then I asked who noticed? To our suprise it was an employee of a well known lgs in the Franklin area! At the time I didn't think much of it but as time has passed the more it bothers me. Am I overreacting or was that a dick move?

Worth mentioning the only visual clue was crossbreed clips. Edited by hlb14

It was concealed, so I lean toward dick move especially if he works at a gun store.  Unless you were drinking, then I would probably bring it up as well.  Otherwise, it doesn't get a second thought.  I am guessing he was just trying to impress someone with his eagle eyes.

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 3

don't worry about it.  things happen. sometime the crossbreed clips and other small things will "out you" to people in the know.  the others just don't know, they are mostly sheep anyway and can not buy a clue. 

• Like 2

Big deal.  What if the guy asks the brides mom, and she doesn't know the guest, and neither does the grooms, then you have some uninvited dude at a wedding with a gun.  Everybody preaches self awareness and vigilance.  I believe this situation was a result of those.

• Like 1

So one person is more observant than 99% of the population?  He asked a question, didn't raise an alarm, just asked.  Maybe he wanted to meet a fellow traveler and didn't want to raise your hackles by approaching you directly.  Maybe he wanted to know what make, model and caliber piece you were carrying out of curiosity.  

Hey, he works at a gun store.  He notices guns.  I notice carriers more than my wife does.  Doesn't mean I want to "out" them.  But I can talk guns all day with just about anyone.

In my opinion, he noticed you were carrying.  He thought you MAY be security.  He didn't want to bust your cover, so he asked someone he knows who you are.  I don't think it's a big deal.

• Like 1

I notice people with the clips often. I use the same IWB holster and when I see one I just assume it's another decent one of us who has made the decision to protect not only themselves but hopefully anyone of us who might need it. Unless the lady was rude or upset when asking you about it, I wouldn't worry about his "eagle eye Barney" self impressment to her, but I think it's an uncalled for a poor show of support for those of us who carry. I mean, why point it out to the lady? Is he 12 and being a tattle tell? Sounds like he suffers from low self esteem. 

• Like 1

It's not TN, but I've seen an open-carry couple at Longhorn in Albany, GA more than once. They sport nice 'custom' 1911 frame pistols.

Open carry is something I don't do in public and rarely on my own property. Better that John Q is oblivious, IMHO. I've only been approached once since I got my permit nearly 20yrs ago, but can't say if I've ever been made otherwise.

Maybe the guy was an ex of the bride and was looking for a chance to take out the guy that stole her from him. Happens all the time at weddings :). I guess I am just nieve but I just do not find myself looking/caring if someone else is armed. I think there are many better indications of someone with bad intentions than the the fact that someone Is carrying a concealed weapon. If anything I am thinking good I may have some backup if the need arises.
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I agree with the 12 year old comment. If he was curious about it all he needed to do was strike up a conversation with you and ask. 

I wear a crossbreed myself and I've only been spotted one time  by a female hcp holder and I was wearing a western vest. She spotted the clips when I reached up to get something off a shelf. She was just curious and asked how I like the holster. 

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous          by letting the Government take care of him; better take           a closer look at the American Indian."
Henry Ford

He should have asked you himself if it was that urgent... Why bother the mother of the bride with impromptu security matters?

If it was me working security, I'd simply watch for a bit to see if you were drinking, then let it go, being then the wiser of a potential ally.
  • Like 1