Growing up in the 70s and Wheaties

TN-popo

With regards to Bruce Jenner...couldn't care less...with respect to media overexposure, manipulation and fascination of viewers for viewing dysfunctional or artificially pretentious families... that's annoying.

A BIG YES on that.

I believe a lot of folks on both sides of the aisle would be surprised at how many gay people are conservative or libertarian.

A lot of people that I know don't lean a certain way because of a wide range of issues, but rather because of a few issues that are deeply important to them. Like Catholics that firmly believe in the right to life, LBGT community and their associated rights or lack thereof, and minorities that vote for the wide spectrum of handouts so many of us hate. :)

I've known many people of the LBGT community in the south that grew up with a lot of the same political leanings and values most of us share, but they feel like their cause is neglected by the right and they are 100% correct about that. Sign of the times, I guess.. and a sign of the people dominating the right need to get with the times if they want to appeal to the youth vote.
  • Like 1

A lot of people that I know don't lean a certain way because of a wide range of issues, but rather because of a few issues that are deeply important to them. Like Catholics that firmly believe in the right to life, LBGT community and their associated rights or lack thereof, and minorities that vote for the wide spectrum of handouts so many of us hate. :)

I've known many people of the LBGT community in the south that grew up with a lot of the same political leanings and values most of us share, but they feel like their cause is neglected by the right and they are 100% correct about that. Sign of the times, I guess.. and a sign of the people dominating the right need to get with the times if they want to appeal to the youth vote.

I know a fair number of gay folks, and you're right. We're not all flaming liberals, in fact a lot of us just want to live our lives, protect our families, and be left alone the same as anyone else. I've introduced a number of gay friends to firearms and shooting because as they say, "armed gays don't get bashed". We're just like everyone else. 

The right has traditionally bet on the hard line traditionalists to be a larger number of voters than right leaning gay folks, and by the numbers they're right. The most optimistic estimates say that gay/ trans people make up 10-14% of the US population, and some surveys are as low as 2-3%. When you break that group down further into active voters, then conservative active voters, the right has had a much larger well to tap by toeing the traditionalist line. They can bark about how 'the gays' are trying to destroy marriage and hate Jesus, and it's easy to motivate everyone that claims to be a Christian to the polls because they think Jesus may not love them as much if they extend some grace to the evil gays. 

The left is just as bad- they scream about how the right is just out to get gay people at all costs, and they make it sound like we're about to be the victims of some type of horrible ethnic cleansing which drives every Subaru driving, tree hugging, granola munching liberal gay or not out to the polls to 'protect' us poor, stupid queers that can't stand up for ourselves. It's insulting, but this is the place modern gay people find themselves. We're a convenient political football that neither party really wants to take care of, they're both too busy kicking us back and forth to pump up their own fans. 

• Like 9

I have a few gay friends that are pretty hard core right wingers. They're just too smart to buy into the unicorn bull####. But, even though all Republicans aren't homophobes, it might be safe to assume that all homophobes are Republican :). Lot's of gay folks just won't hang out where they're not wanted.

The Repubs need to get out of the social crap, and focus on running the damn government. I've told them that more than once. 

Edited by mikegideon
  • Like 3

I have a number of both types of friends. The real shame is the otherwise intelligent gays that wind up being Democrats because of the way Republicans deal with gay marriage and similar issues.

You can add Hispanics and blacks to that list.
  • Like 2

I know a fair number of gay folks, and you're right. We're not all flaming liberals, in fact a lot of us just want to live our lives, protect our families, and be left alone the same as anyone else. I've introduced a number of gay friends to firearms and shooting because as they say, "armed gays don't get bashed". We're just like everyone else.

The right has traditionally bet on the hard line traditionalists to be a larger number of voters than right leaning gay folks, and by the numbers they're right. The most optimistic estimates say that gay/ trans people make up 10-14% of the US population, and some surveys are as low as 2-3%. When you break that group down further into active voters, then conservative active voters, the right has had a much larger well to tap by toeing the traditionalist line. They can bark about how 'the gays' are trying to destroy marriage and hate Jesus, and it's easy to motivate everyone that claims to be a Christian to the polls because they think Jesus may not love them as much if they extend some grace to the evil gays.

The left is just as bad- they scream about how the right is just out to get gay people at all costs, and they make it sound like we're about to be the victims of some type of horrible ethnic cleansing which drives every Subaru driving, tree hugging, granola munching liberal gay or not out to the polls to 'protect' us poor, stupid queers that can't stand up for ourselves. It's insulting, but this is the place modern gay people find themselves. We're a convenient political football that neither party really wants to take care of, they're both too busy kicking us back and forth to pump up their own fans.

You NAILED it.
This community is being used by the left, that's why they don't treat people equally. All communities are being used and abused. Divide and conquer.

More damage is being done as a result in the meantime. Just look at peoples faces when you're out and about, I know I see more unhappy people. Edited by Still Ugly

I have a few gay friends that are pretty hard core right wingers. They're just to smart to buy into the unicorn bull####. But, even though all Republicans aren't homophobes, it might be safe to assume that all homophobes are Republican :). Lot's of gay folks just won't hang out where they're not wanted.

The Repubs need to get out of the social crap, and focus on running the damn government. I've told them that more than once.

Long overdue!

Prob is, it's tough to win the GOP primaries without the religious fundamentalist vote.

- OS

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

Say hello to Caitlyn Jenner.

c78e1ced5d8889cee275fc465fae1397.jpg

2AM, dark bar, last call, many drinks, and...SURPRISE!

For TGO David, that is.

I'm seeing that scene from Pet Detective.

Edited by TN-popo
  • Like 1

2 things for me.

1. I love the fact that the red dress picture is in a Porsche that was a gift from Kris. At almost $200k for the car, the dress and IMHO she looks killer. Nothing like kicking in KJ's face for being a huge $#&% and lying through interviews that she had no clue!

2. The bewb's are better than most Hollywood starlet's and I'd rock a set like that any day (epecially at 65!). Plus she looks like Jessica Lange and who doesn't love crazy?

Just saying, it's been done pretty nice looking for what's been done. My poor husband on the other hand is way less enthusiastic about this than I am. I have to go make Baked Ziti and try to cheer him up now. :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

• Like 3