I need a new(stronger) blade

I recently started a new job in Knoxville where I'm out in a warehouse all day and I need a blade that can take a bit more abuse than my Spyderco Sage 3.

I loaned it to another manager Thursday and he snapped the tip off somehow. I'm assuming he was using it as a screwdriver.

I was looking at the Mini Griptilian by Benchmade but I'm open to other suggestions. Price range would be $100 or less.

Go get a Ontario Rat 1. You can get them of EBay for around $30 to $40. They come in two sizes. And they are built like tanks.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Ontario-ON8848CB-RAT-1-AUS-8-Stainless-Steel-Blade-Linerlock-Knife-/311418189912?nav=SEARCH

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Good deal here. I'm buying a couple for friends I owe favors. Well not really favors...just good friends.
  • Like 1
I have a mini Griptilian. Don't carry it anymore since I got my protech though.

First let me say that for me, aside from a few, my knives are tools. And I am HARD on my tools.

I have never had a problem at all with my Benchmade and I thoroughly abused mine.

I thought Spyderco was about the same quality as Benchmade.
  • Authorized Vendor

Go get a Ontario Rat 1. You can get them of EBay for around $30 to $40. They come in two sizes. And they are built like tanks.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Ontario-ON8848CB-RAT-1-AUS-8-Stainless-Steel-Blade-Linerlock-Knife-/311418189912?nav=SEARCH

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

I agree...they  make tough little knives.

• Like 1

If it was just the extreme tip ...

Do you *need* a sharp pointy tip?

If not, you can give it a screwdriver tip and use the blade to cut stuff.

If you need a sharp tip, you can cut it down to a point again and it will now be thicker, stronger than ever.

If it broke back too far, it may be hopeless, but you are NOW the proud owner of a ruined knife that can be abused in a tough environment without worrying that its going to ... get broken or something.   I would make it work for me and not bother to buy a new one that ... will probably get bunged up on the job.

That said look for a thicker blade next time.   Buck still makes thick, cheap single blade lock blade workhorses, as do other brands.   I dunno what they call the line now but ive got a 30 year old bucklite that is still going strong and Ive used it all that time, the blade is noticeably shorter than it was new from just sharpening and use over the decades.  If it was gonna break, it would have by now too, I used it as a screwdriver, pry bar, and whatever else along the way.

Edited by Jonnin
  • Like 1

If it was just the extreme tip ...

Do you *need* a sharp pointy tip?

If not, you can give it a screwdriver tip and use the blade to cut stuff.

If you need a sharp tip, you can cut it down to a point again and it will now be thicker, stronger than ever.

If it broke back too far, it may be hopeless, but you are NOW the proud owner of a ruined knife that can be abused in a tough environment without worrying that its going to ... get broken or something.   I would make it work for me and not bother to buy a new one that ... will probably get bunged up on the job.

That said look for a thicker blade next time.   Buck still makes thick, cheap single blade lock blade workhorses, as do other brands.   I dunno what they call the line now but ive got a 30 year old bucklite that is still going strong and Ive used it all that time, the blade is noticeably shorter than it was new from just sharpening and use over the decades.  If it was gonna break, it would have by now too, I used it as a screwdriver, pry bar, and whatever else along the way.

Excellent points. I may just keep carrying this one to work since it's already damaged but I'll probably still buy another knife....just because.

Excellent points. I may just keep carrying this one to work since it's already damaged but I'll probably still buy another knife....just because.

You started this thread for nothin"???   :stick:

Just kidding. Welcome back!

BTW... If I were you, I would grab OhShoot and head down to SMKW. I know you two could walk out of there with the perfect choice.

Edited by mikegideon
  • Like 1

You started this thread for nothin"??? :stick:

Just kidding. Welcome back!

BTW... If I were you, I would grab OhShoot and head down to SMKW. I know you two could walk out of there with the perfect choice.

.... Or get Spots make you one. I'd bet you'll sweat a little trying to break one of his. ;)

.... Or get Spots make you one. I'd bet you'll sweat a little trying to break one of his. ;)

Thanks for the vote of confidence lol. Not many blades will handle pure abuse. And leveraging on the tip is abuse. It's a big reason I stopped loaning out knives. That said, have you considered a small 3" bladed fixed blade in an unobtrusive belt sheath? They carry very comfortably, are small enough not to cause alarm and are usually stronger than a folder, and easier to access one handed. If he is the prying type I can always make you up one of these lol. Chisel grind tip, just don't slip lol.

b86595af-f4f3-4cb8-81b9-71d3760e76fe_zps

Sent from the backwoods

Thanks for the vote of confidence lol. Not many blades will handle pure abuse. And leveraging on the tip is abuse. It's a big reason I stopped loaning out knives. That said, have you considered a small 3" bladed fixed blade in an unobtrusive belt sheath? They carry very comfortably, are small enough not to cause alarm and are usually stronger than a folder, and easier to access one handed. If he is the prying type I can always make you up one of these lol. Chisel grind tip, just don't slip lol.

Sent from the backwoods

I have something similar I got for $10 at a gunshow... but they put a hole in the metal for your finger so it *couldn't* slip.   Easier than trying to put a guard on it, I guess?   And mine is curved up to a point of sorts, but its still a tiny little utility sheath knife same idea.