Where would you go beside the USA

chuck

I've been studying about this for a very long time. Several places look nice on the surface but as with everything, nothing is perfect.

We're it not for volcanoes and tsunamis, New Zealand is nice. The South Island I particular. Gun laws are restrictive but OUR standards but very lax in a more world wide view. No regular,action on barrel length or suppressors is a nice thing. You can literally walk in a store and walk out with a suppressor, go home and chop your rifle down to 14 inches and be happy. No one cares. The couple of acquaintances I have down there say suppressors are treated the exact opposite down there. People bitch if you DONT have one on noisy cartridges.
Handguns are still heavily restricted. I know one older gentleman who says even the cops rarely carry guns.

In the end, I'll likely stay here in the states. Much as I'd like to find greener grass, there ain't none.
Were I not so F'd up in body and health, I'd be up in some Alaskan community that gets their mail from a single engine airplane. Their life may be hard but it seems to me, a little thought goes a long way. Just plan for the future a little better than we do here.

Like Caster, If my body was not worn out and I was younger I would live off the grid in Alaska. I would live off the land. There are many places in Alaska that man he never walked on and I would still be in the United States......................jmho

Took me way too much time, effort & money to get here for me to leave voluntarily.
If the government makes that decision for me, I sure as $#*t ain't going back to anywhere in Europe.
The south island of New Zealand would be our choice.
I'd love Australia, but getting into the states was bad enough. My sanity couldn't handle that visa process.
Also (& please don't take offence at this) you have to consider the simple fact that not many countries want Americans to move there. Emigrating to another country from the US without SIGNIFICANT financial investment or marriage to a resident citizen is really, really difficult.
  • Like 1
  • Moderators
Even if things were to go south here in the way that y'all think it will, I couldn't be bothered to leave because I don't think I would notice any functional difference. Most of what people talk about the way the country "used to be "is really nothing more than a rose colored glasses of myth and memory. Things didn't used to be any freer during the lifetime of any of y'all living, you just believed the lie more back then.
  • Like 3

Even if things were to go south here in the way that y'all think it will, I couldn't be bothered to leave because I don't think I would notice any functional difference. Most of what people talk about the way the country "used to be "is really nothing more than a rose colored glasses of myth and memory. Things didn't used to be any freer during the lifetime of any of y'all living, you just believed the lie more back then.

I fully agree with you. One would have to go back to pre 1900 ish to escape to lack of freedom we have today.
  • Like 1

I fully agree with you. One would have to go back to pre 1900 ish to escape to lack of freedom we have today.

Some of us try. The laws are still there, but we are pretty well left alone. We raise our own food, build our own homes, farm our own land, make our own tools etc. Legally we aren't anymore free than any of the other subjects, but it sure helps to be able to say we could live without the goverment or any outside help. Which brings up another point. I, and I'm sure others here, have family roots running into this land more than a century old. My family first built on the land we own in the early 1860's. My entire family has been born and raised there and most have died there. I'd rather die and be buried in the hills where I was raised than be the first generation of my family to turn tail and run.

received_366353756902992_zpsiexohke6.jpe

DSC_1834_zps167e99bd.jpg

Sent from the backwoods Edited by Spots
  • Like 4

I've considered retiring overseas due to the cost of living and better climate. I'd probably consider Columbia and Ecuador first, followed by the rest of South America. I was really disappointed in my trip to Costa Rica. It wasn't that cheap and the lifestyle didn't suit me. The whole country is rain forest and narrow roads with no shoulder. You can't run, walk, bicycle, or motorcycle safely. There's just no where to do it. Of course, those things don't matter to most retirees, so maybe it would be okay. The Ex Pats I talked to said that foreigners don't get treated the same as natives, so there's that, too. 

Edited by jgradyc

If I ever felt compelled to leave the US to live somewhere else, I'd pick a nice small town in Canada, get a modest job, spend my off time reading, and never have to worry about being too hot in the summer again.

Or, if I had as much money as I wanted, I'd find a nice apartment in Tallinn, Estonia, and spend my days with the girls there and the girls a ferry's ride away in Helsinki, Finland.

At the risk of offending quite a few, I will say that when push comes to shove I would not want anyone already pondering their retreat standing shoulder to shoulder with me. While it is wise to have contingency plans in place, mentally giving up the fight before it begins is something else. As noted by others, we have had generations of heroes before us that have sacrificed everything to maintain the freedom that has allowed our country to become the greatest nation in the world. They did their part, and someday we might have to do ours. If you are not on board with that then head on out to these nicer/easier places, but please divvy up your guns/ammo to the rest of us on your way out :)
  • Like 1

To the person  who said Germany.. not sure when you went there last.. btu its not any better than here.. trust me:)

Even tho I am not a US citizen..i wouldnt want to go anywhere else.. I would take up arms in a heartbeat for the USA..I have been  treated nice here( 99% of the time) I worked , i payed taxes, I dont  want for anything and we are lucky to be able ot do what we want ,when we want it,..

I might noty agree with the current political issues or some laws but that is anywhere in any country.

• Like 1