Save Monkeyman ... Or not ... (Classic Car Advice)

So, our household is a bit torn and in turmoil right now. It's all over a 1979 Ford Bronco Ranger XLT, all time 4wd.

I am the technical owner of said vehicle and I love it, but due to us not using it regularly anymore, I feel like she should go to a new and loving home. The Monkey on the other hand is torn. He's put a lot of blood (literally :rant: ), sweat and tears (mostly me, while being under it with him yelling at me and the oil pan :cry:) into her.

She was my daily driver for a long time. Then we had the engine rebuilt and the tranny as well. She's had tons of other repair work done and mechanically she is very sound. We both love driving her, but we don't do it enough. I am of the opinion that she should be sold and go to a home where she will be fully restored and used. We're both emotional people when it comes to our vehicles. We do our own maintenance, we clean them too much and we just generally love our vehicles. But I love her enough to let her go to someone who has the time, money and energy to finish out her restoration (I would hope).

So here's my question. What would you do? Sell it, use the money for other household needs/improvements or savings. Or would you keep it because of emotional ties, even though you don't drive her regularly. I have her listed for sale, her title is ready to sign should an interested party come forward and all her paperwork in a file because some Monkey likes to hoard papers (thank god). Again, I love her just as much as he does and I did force him to buy her for me, but we're stalled out on the restoration and I think it is best to just sell her if possible. What say ye? Good Idea or Poor Monkey, let him keep it?

We're clearly not smart enough to decide this on our own.

I had a 1978 Ford F-150 that I got in highschool. It was my first road legal truck, and i drove it everyday. Blew the motor after high school, and as a coming home present my dad dropped in a new one while I was at boot camp. Drove it everytime I came home, proposed to my wife in it. Dropped a 460 in it after I eased and came home. Finally sold it after it sat for 6 months with no money to put on tires a couple years ago to a gentleman on here. I regret it everyday and would love to have it back, but don't even remeber his screen name. If it means something deep down, then keep it. You'll regret the sell and the money will disappear all to quickly

Sent from behind the anvil
  • Like 1
I'm just the opposite. Unless it is something really collectible and sure to increase in value by multiple times, I say dump it. I bought a 1977 F150 new, ran the crap out of it, rebuilt the engine, ran it for several more years and then dumped it because I was tired of it. Bought a new 1989 f150 and haven't looked back. I decided I like new technology instead of rolling around underneath my vehicles.
  • Like 2

Just looked it up on Craigslist.
She's good looking'.
Curious as to how y'all arrived at the value?

Well, I have a few reasons for that...

We've put a crap ton of money into her. I realize that's always a gamble with classics or cars in general and you never get what they're worth. I know I won't get what I am asking which is why I did do the OBO. But I also won't be an idiot and part with her for nothing. And if she doesn't ever sell, that's OK. I had a different ad up for 5 days and no responses. It doesn't offend me at all. But I am at least going to try to recover as much as I can. Because her rebuilds did cost a pretty penny and I have seen a few other 78/79's out there around Middle Tennessee and IMO, she trumps them all. Again, I could be crazy because of the emotional aspect but I do know there will be negotiations. And also, like I said, we have all receipts and any serious buyer who really wants her would take one look at them and know she's worth it.

*edited for spelling issues :ugh: *

Edited by MrsMonkeyMan2500
I vote keep it. Obviously you have emotional ties to it. It's not like an animal you don't have to feed it, it doesn't cost you anything if you don't drive it. New cars just don't have the soul the classics do. If I won the lottery (which I don't play anyways) I would have a TON of restored/modified older vehicles.

Even if it's only rarely driven, keep it. You won't come across anyone else driving one just like it. There is a certain pride of ownership that comes with a built not bought vehicle that you can't get from anything else.
  • Like 2

Was just curious and no offense intended.
I asked because I'm sinking 5 grand into a $12,000 truck at Mid Tenn Ford as we speak.
I can't replace my 7.3 dually with a better vehicle for $17,000 is why I'm doing it, and I expect to get 250k more miles out of it before it gives up the ghost.
It just turned my stomach having the work done knowing the day its complete, the truck wouldn't be worth any more upon resale than it was prior to the 5k being spent.
Based on your description I'm thinking you get 6-7k for it, so is that worth letting her sit, or would that money come in handy? Honestly, I think it's not losing a lot more value due to the cool factor. If it sits mostly, and you run it occasionally, and don't let it rust away, I don't think it's costing you anything more than insurance.

None taken, sorry if it seemed like it. I am scanning craigslist right now and some of it is comical. Honestly, 6-7k will not get her. My lowest of my low is 8,500. and I know she will sit. The good thing is I have full coverage insurance on her as a DD and she's guaranteed for $14,000 if totaled. The money would come in handy. Both of our DD's are about to be paid of next month. I have a lot of things I could use the money for but my gut says to be smart and sock it away. I just know that I will never carry out any further restoration on her and I love her enough to know that is there is someone who will, she deserves it.

I vote keep it. Obviously you have emotional ties to it. It's not like an animal you don't have to feed it, it doesn't cost you anything if you don't drive it. New cars just don't have the soul the classics do. If I won the lottery (which I don't play anyways) I would have a TON of restored/modified older vehicles.

Even if it's only rarely driven, keep it. You won't come across anyone else driving one just like it. There is a certain pride of ownership that comes with a built not bought vehicle that you can't get from anything else.

You're so right. My favorite thing is we live so far out that when I go to the one gas station in the area, I always pull in and the old farts outside dinking around just stare. When I leave I always floor it just because I can look back and see them laughing. She does have a cool factor and I have been offered cash for her quite a few times, I never took them up on it. But now, I know it is what I want to do. Kinda. It's tough! She costs me quite a bit. 6 MPG @ $2.85 is a wee bit! Which is why I don't drive her often and I do drive her a bit fast and loud so I am sure I am really only getting around 4MPG. LOL

• Like 1

it is an asset. Never sell an asset.

I went thought this when I bough the warden a newer car.  I could sell the old Taurus or put a few bucks into it and use it as my daily driver.

I opted for the latter.  Painful getting the bad things fixed, but a joy to drive instead of my truck for the work commute.  Saves 40% on gas too.

My thoughts were that the Taurus is an asset even if it costs me money at the start.  

Never sell an asset.

• Like 1

Sell it.  Vehicles that aren't driven regularly will deteriorate, and as they do either they become money pits or else get neglected further.  Unless you are really into collecting and restoring cars/trucks, and have the tools, facilities and know-how to do so, if you ever get the urge to own a restored version of this it's far easier and ultimately much less expensive to buy one that someone else has done the work to, maybe even someday this truck again.  Ask me how I know all of this ...

• Like 2
I got an 86 Toyota truck my parents bought new. When my mom passed away and my sister was thinking of getting rid of it, I shipped it from California to Nashville because of the sintemental attachment. I have people leave me notes all the time about wanting to buy it and even though I don't use it enough, she's not going anywhere unless it will help someone out. Keep it.
  • Like 1

I got an 86 Toyota truck my parents bought new. When my mom passed away and my sister was thinking of getting rid of it, I shipped it from California to Nashville because of the sintemental attachment. I have people leave me notes all the time about wanting to buy it and even though I don't use it enough, she's not going anywhere unless it will help someone out. Keep it.

So by keep it you mean, just do all the needed body work, paint and interior repair and keep it? That IS what you mean right?

Because there is a jerk where not far from where we live. He drives a red and white two tone version which is cute, but I know he doesn't have any of the power mine does. So I should just finish the repair work and put the boy to shame. Right? Cause that's the only way I think I can keep her. LOL

sell it.  vehicles that are not driven often will sooner or later will need more time, work and money to fix things that go bad from setting.  been there, done that, got the t-shirt.  last year i sold my one owner 1988 f150 because i was not driving it and when i did problems came up.  so out came the bill fold to buy parts and time used to fit the problems.  i was hard to sell something that has been with me for so long.  

• Like 1

sell it.  vehicles that are not driven often will sooner or later will need more time, work and money to fix things that go bad from setting.  been there, done that, got the t-shirt.  last year i sold my one owner 1988 f150 because i was not driving it and when i did problems came up.  so out came the bill fold to buy parts and time used to fit the problems.  i was hard to sell something that has been with me for so long.  

The good thing is, mechanically she is VERY sound. I make sure to not let her sit too long. She gets out at least once a week if not more and when I take her out, it's all back roads around here so she gets her legs stretched quite a bit. Hell, visiting my friend across the river requires a 20 minute drive and the steepest damn gravel driveway ever known to man. When I went up it today with the bumps and bouncing I gotta admit, my heart was beating fast and I kinda fell back in love. The hard part was facetiming with Monkey today to discuss it. I could just see his poor face start looking super sad. But what I don't understand is, if he loves it so much, why he never drives her. So I have it up for sale. I will give it 7 days and if she doesn't get nibbles, then she stays with us and we'll start body work in the spring.

If your bottom dollar is set slightly above what someone is realistically willing to give then I think you've already answered your own question. Subconsciously I think that means you want to keep it.

Zero disrespect meant BTW.

How do I know this ? Because I've been there with guns,cars,many other items we won't speak of,lol. Edited by FUJIMO
  • Like 1

We're clearly not smart enough to decide this on our own.

Well, it seems you have already made the decision to sell. Of course if the price is wrong; the problem of whether or not to sell will take care of itself.

You will have to find a very special buyer to pay that much for that vehicle. Banks won’t finance that; so they need to have cash. (And not care about MPG) You need to go to some of the collector sites. Here is an idea of what you are up against.
https://www.facebook.com/78-79-Ford-Broncos-Mostly-For-Sale-641729919264832/

Assuming insurance is relatively inexpensive, I'd keep it.  It's paid for and doesn't cost much just sitting there.  Drive it to work twice a month or so to keep it up.  Go play in the dirt every now and then.  Every good girl likes getting dirty, from time to time.  ;)

• Like 1

If it is paid for and is a running driving vehicle, regardless of how it looks, I would keep it unless you have another vehicle that is paid off and runs. You never know what is going to happen in the future and if something does happen and you loose the ability to pay for your other vehicles at least you will have a way to get around. And with it being a 4wd it makes that even more important as we start to come into colder weather.

A few more things. Is this the only vehicle you have that can get you out of where you live during bad weather conditions? If so I would keep it. Never know when an emergency happens and the ability to get to the hospital, when ambulances can't, is also something to consider. We never thought the weather would be an issue for us but when our grand daughter came up to visit she got sick, very sick, and spent 4 days in Children's Hospital. This was last year when we got a lot of snow. They had a little Honda Accord that was all but useless for getting out of the road we live on. Prior to that my wife wanted to buy some tire chains. I told her it was wasted money but she bought them anyway. Well two days later we used those chains on our truck to get our grand daughter to the main road where they could get her to the hospital. I can't even imagine what might have happened had we not had those chains. So the ability to be mobile in bad weather is a must because accidents do happen, people do get sick and if the weather is bad enough the ambulances might not be able to save the day.

You guys already have an attachment to it and if you have children they too will see it as a memory of both of you as well. I am not sure if you have children but if you do I would also consider them in this. They will have fun, like all teenagers, driving around in an old, temperamental off road vehicle. Heck, if the kids are old enough turn the truck's restoration into a family project. Some of my best memories were working on cars with close friends when I was a teenager.

I would keep it, especially if you are not needing to sell it and will just be squirreling the money away. That 4wd vehicle will be more important than some money in a savings account.

In short, sell it! I don't say this lightly and I offer my experience as an example.

My wife owned a Ford Edge that she loved, and I owned a 2013 BOSS 302 Mustang that I dearly loved. I had waited several years for this specific specialty car to be released by Ford to the point of passing up on other performance vehicles like the 2012 version that had different stripes. When I finally got the car I did a few things to customize it, babied it, and truly enjoyed driving it to work every day. I was so attached to this car that every time I walked out to it my heart would speed up, and I drove it at every opportunity that I had. I even took vacation time to take it out east to drive The Tail of The Dragon and the Diamondback in NC.

But our lifestyle changed. My wife, (who refused to camp for over 30 years of marriage), decided that she liked camping so much that we bought a travel trailer. This necessitated trading her Edge for a pick-up to tow the trailer. My wife is short, and she couldn't handle driving the truck at all nor would she dare to drive the BOSS so we carpooled. We did this mostly in the truck, but I soon realized that her not having a vehicle that she could comfortably drive wasn't fair to her because it limited her freedom to move on her own accord. By the time that I owned the BOSS for 1.5 years it had pretty much so become an expensive garage queen which hurt even more, so I traded it in for a Cadillac XTS for my wife. During this process my wife thought I'd back out at the last minute but I didn't. Afterwards, my wife posted on Facebook that it was the single most selfless act that she'd ever witnessed, but to me it was worth it because she dearly loves that car! I still miss my car particularly when I see another BOSS on the road, (there's a 2012 in my neighborhood).

My point is that an emotional attachment to a thing shouldn't overrule practicality especially if the thing is not being used. :2cents:

• Like 1
Another thing to consider, you want it to go to someone who will finish the restoration and make it nicer.

I have been truck shopping with my buddy who just totaled his jeep and is looking for a truck. Everything is trashed now days. No one takes care of their vehicles. Chances are actually pretty high that it will go to someone who won't take care of it, much less finish the restoration. To most people now, a vehicle is simply a way to go from point A to point B. To some of us, yourself included, the right vehicle is more than that. No one will truly appreciate it for what it is more than you.

Sometimes if it is feasible, you just have to throw logic and practicality to the wind.
  • Like 1

Older vehicles in time become a bit of a money pit and the point where a full restoration is inevitable. It all depends on how they're stored and operated to a degree but even when lightly used age catches up to them. The deal break for me is when the vehicle either becomes less then reliable or OEM parts are hard to find. WWID? Sell it and if I didn't have another AWD or 4x4 buy something newer.

I went through this exact decision with my 1956 F-350. It was the only vehicle I owned for two or three years, I did everything with it. Hauled hay and horses, remodeled part of the house, and used it like a truck. Everywhere I went in it was like being at a one truck car show, especially if I was using it to pick up building supplies or do "work" instead of just driving it around. It was a whole lot of fun, but eventually I had to buy a newer truck to pull a bigger trailer down the interstate. With a top speed of about 55 and manual brakes the old green one left a bit to be desired.

The old truck got parked under the carport and basically ignored. Still liked it, but never drove it and new it needed a few rust repairs that I was unlikely to ever do. I put it up for sale once, had some interest but it didn't sell at the time. I resigned to just keep it, bought the one time antique plates and I only drove it a couple of times in the next few months. It was literally sitting and rotting away. A bit later a gentleman approached me about buying it, but I had pretty well decided to just let it sit. We talked a couple of times, I sent him a bunch of photos, and ended up selling it to him. Part of the reason why was because I knew he'd do something with it- he restored old Ford tractors and wanted the truck to haul them with. I delivered it to him and got to see some of the other stuff he'd fixed up, and sure enough he did the same to my old truck. He fixed the rust, replaced the rotten bed wood, and even found some needed repairs that I hadn't known about. If I'd kept that truck, if it didn't settle into the driveway where it sat it probably would've grenaded itself and not been fixed. I hate to admit that, but it's true. I didn't need it and didn't have a whole lot of money to sink into it, even if I had known about some of the deeper issues.

I had the truck and enjoyed it, selling it didn't change that. Every once in a while I think it would be nice to have again, when the weather is good and there's a truck or tractor show, but the reality is if I'd kept it the odds of it being in any shape to go anywhere are slim.

Vehicles deteriorate from sitting. Tires get old and fail, rodents get in and do damage, batteries get weak, fuel sets up- and it's really hard to spend money and time fixing the "toy" once your initial interest has softened so things go unrepaired until it needs a whole lot of money put into it to be back at the level it is now. Instead of letting it sit and rot, pass it on to someone that will use and enjoy it. Better to keep it alive than rust away just so you can still own it.

There's a rancher right down the road from me with generations of vehicles and equipment rusting away in a back field. Numerous Willys Jeeps, probably 20 pickups from the 30s-40s-50s, and farm equipment dating back to the turn of the century. ATVs, snow machines, a few fairly new trucks all just rotting away while they struggle to keep the lights on. He won't sell anything though, because it all has family history or has been on the ranch so long. Never mind that selling it would help them, help others that can actually use the equipment, or that if they don't it will all end up scrapped when they lose the place he's hanging on to it. I know that isnt quite your situation, but don't be that guy. Don't be the guy with Grandpas 1942 F-100 rusting under a tree in the back yard that you're "going to fix up one day". You've been around car guys, you know the people in talking about. If you don't need it, and don't use it much let it go to someone that will enjoy it, and enjoy the memories and the time you had with it.
  • Like 1
  • Admin Team

It sounds to me like you're at that tricky point where you've actually got to double down and commit to doing the rest of the work - or be happy where she is today.  And, from this thread and your ad, I expect that's what's really bugging you.  You're weary from the work you've already put in - and Lord knows you've spent more than you'll ever get back out.  So, you're at a bit of an impasse.

Your ad is rich enough that if anyone bites - they're not going to use it as a beater, they're going to do the work.  It's a seemingly perfect out.  They'll restore it the rest of the way, and you can dedicate the funds to another project.  If it doesn't sell, you've likely got your answer as well.  You guys can buckle down and finish the job.

You may be a bit like I was when I got my 1977 FJ40.  It was the first car that I ever bought, and I restored it as much as I could on my college student budget in the early 90's.  I loved that truck.  I had to sell it when I moved to Seattle for grad school because I needed a car that was really reliable - not just mostly reliable.  I missed that truck dearly.  That said, it didn't take long in the XJ that I traded for it for some of that longing to wear off.  I liked being able to get out of my new truck without smelling like exhaust.  I liked being able to have a conversation with the passenger without yelling.  It was a trade off, but a good one at the time.

20 years later, I'd love to get another one.  I've got a CJ7 that I've restored, and it's great for sunny days.  Whenever I drive it I really miss that old FJ.  So that said, if you sell it, you'll miss it dearly.  It sounds like you guys are in a place in your life where you can likely afford to keep it.  But it also sounds like it may take a while to do the rest of the body work.

If you get an offer at your price, that's likely somebody who's going to love that truck.  I'd sell it and feel good about it.  That said, if it sits for a while and doesn't bring what you want - you've likely got your answer, too.  Buckle down and get that truck done.

• Like 1