Which .308 semi-auto rifle?

Links2k

I don't have a specific need for a .308 semi-auto, but I'd like to own one just in case it's not possible in the near future.

My budget is between $1200 and $2000, and right now I'm partial to the M&P10. Also I'd like to be able to use Pmags in whatever I purchase.

My other option is to purchase a Wilson Combat 6.8 or 300 blackout upper.

Opinions please.

Thanks!
As of now, I can not recommend Palmetto State Armory.
The one I shot would not eject empty cases.
I will say that they have GREAT Customer Service.
They are paying shipping BOTH ways. They still have the upper now.
Haven't heard anything from them yet. But they have only had it 2 weeks now.

Here is a post on the problem.
http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/topic/92393-ar-10-failure-to-eject/

Other than that the only other semi auto I have shot in .308
was an FAL. It shot great. But it doesn't use Pmags.

I don't have a specific need for a .308 semi-auto, but I'd like to own one just in case it's not possible in the near future.

My budget is between $1200 and $2000, and right now I'm partial to the M&P10. Also I'd like to be able to use Pmags in whatever I purchase.

My other option is to purchase a Wilson Combat 6.8 or 300 blackout upper.

Opinions please.

Thanks!

Willing to hand load? If so the .300blk is 80% of a .308win performance wise. Check with dolomite about some long range loads, I believe he was working on developing some. It's not just a 200yd cartridge.

For a .308 semi, which can't really be beat IMO, look at the Ruger SR762, DPMS Gen 2, Colt LE901
  • Like 2
I have the M&P10 and flippin' love it. Of course, the milspec trigger was the first thing to go. Yuck. Put a 3.5lb single stage in it and AWESOMESAUCE! Super happy. Even with a crummy shooter behind the trigger it's right at 1-1.25 MOA with that cheap ZQI stuff from WalMart. I imagine with a good shooter and match ammo, it'd be a tack driver. From what I've read, Smith makes a killer barrel.

I've only shot out to 200 yds so far. Never a jam or a hiccup yet, and I'd guess I've got about 600 rds through it. I'm a righty, but I love the fully ambi controls. Super convenient.

It takes pmags. It's kinda' awesome to have 25rds of 308 in a magazine!

I've never served in the military and have no experience with many of the other rifles mentioned. I've had/have a bunch of ARs and love that platform, so the M&P10/AR10 just makes sense for me. I'm very comfortable with it and it makes me happy. :-) Edited by musicman
  • Like 1
I used to shoot competition for the Army Reserve Rifle Team back in the 90's. We shot the National Match M14. It's a great rifle, but damn is it heavy!!! For causal plinking at the range, as a occasional hunting rifle or a SHtF rifle, I'd find something lighter. Hence my recommendation of the FAL or an AR10.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk Edited by Moped
  • Like 1

I used to shoot competition for the Army Reserve Rifle Team back in the 90's. We shot the National Match M14. It's a great rifle, but damn is it heavy!!! For causal plinking at the range, as a occasional hunting rifle or a SHtF rifle, I'd find something lighter. Hence my recommendation of the FAL or an AR10.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

No one said the M14/M1A was a light weight, and I think over the past 50 years, since basic training, they have gotten heavier. :whistle:

Edited by crossfire
  • Like 1
I have a DPMS Panther LR-AP4 in .308. It has been a very reliable rifle that is accurate. The only thing I don’t like about it is that it has a front sight post. I would like to add the M&P10 to my collection of M&P’s but have been waiting for the heavy barrel with a quad rail.

I would suggest that whatever you get; you get the configuration you want from the factory. Buying parts for AR10’s costs a lot more than AR15’s. I assume that is because there is no standard (Mil-Spec) and their sales are less. I don’t think you can build an AR-10 right now for what you can buy a compete rifle for.
  • Like 1

I'm partial to the M1A. My favorite is the Scout Squad as it seems to be the perfect all around length.

And what's this picky about ammo stuff? Mine will shoot whatever I put in them and do it extremely well.  :up:

I guess heavy is just a matter of opinion.  :shrug:

e3a4e7f3-fd99-494b-aef1-e1383b57e9c1_zps

• Like 1

M&P10 for me. Very accurate and no feeding/ejection problems. IMO one of the best AR10's for the money. I added a free-float handguard, CTR Magpul stock and bipod. Sweet shooter. I've had M1A's and really like their military look but the AR10 is my choice.

[URL=http://s1029.photobucket.com/user/lshel63/media/169-SW%20MampP10-RS.jpg.html]169-SW%20MampP10-RS.jpg[/URL]

Edited by lshel
  • Like 2
For sheer accessory mounting flexibility a "AR10" type plastic stocked rifle makes a lot of sense. Especially if the intention is to use mounted optics.

But a walnut stocked M1A Scout Squad as featured in the above Hickok45 video is a very compelling choice. He didn't send that beauty back; he bought it! That firearm exudes "soul"! ; )