Our Great Postal Service

Monkeybat

So I have a package coming from CZ.

Nothing major.  One hat, one patch, one sticker and 16 round flush mag to carry.

Apparently my postman is just too lazy to get out of the truck and knock on the door.

I watched him slide the "restricted material" slip into my box without even attempting to knock on my door.

And wow, that's some serious hazardous material.  I could really hurt somebody throwing that magazine at them!

And they wonder why the post office is a joke.

Seriously we have a normal post office jeep delivering 50% of the neighborhood, then a rural route carrier delivers the rest.  Maybe just one guy could handle it all and save some money?

We only have a rural postman. He's old, crotchety and I'd almost swear he's drunk half the time. He hates our driveway. Complains that he can't turn around on it. Told my husband and myself that we could save a lot of time if we would go to the post office and get a po box. WHAT!?!?!? And when he has packages, he'll pull up, honk, make us walk out to his car, he'll pop the trunk and tell us what to grab. No kidding. I want to punch the SOB half the time. I've thought of complaining but then I wouldn't ever see any of my mail.

Our regular mailman retired about two months ago, he always was friendly and did a great job.  

Now with the new mailman, maybe it is my imagination but I don't seem to get the bulk junk mail we used to get.  Not that I mind that but it makes me wonder what else he doesn't deliver. 

• Like 1

One of our local postmen has been caught stealing checks and other holiday mail. He is still working and still doing it. Same guy even walked in on a friend's wife as she was taking a shower. When she got out and caught him he ran out saying he was delivering a package but no package was ever found.

I have had them toss high end barrels in the weeds next to the mailbox and mark them delivered to the door. I found them after two days of getting rained on. I ordered some reading materials and they were too big for mailbox. What did they do? They left them on top of the mailbox while it was pouring down rain. The books were water damaged but they refused to do anything saying they were delivered dry and that the rain was not their fault. It had been pouring down rain for a day or two when they delivered it. But according to them they are not responsible for "acts of God", like rain.

I use the USPS but only for low dollar items, less than the included insurance. I have tried to file claims in the past and their requirements are insane. Had a Russian scope go missing while in transit. A week or so after it was supposed to be delivered I we to the post office to start a claim. They said in order for me to file a claim I needed to have the original receipt from the original manufacturer. I told them is was a rare Russian scope and I could not get a receipt but did tell them it was sold at auction so that should be a fair value. Their response was that is was an old, junk scope and worthless despite it being sold for $300+. Luckily it showed up a few days later. Oh, and just because you have $1,000 insurance on something doesn't mean you get $1,000 if it gets destroyed or goes missing. That just means that is the most they will pay and they often pay a lot less.

Then there was the whole debacle where I paid extra for hand sorting of my trigger kits. I had to replace all those that were mailed that day after the sorting machine ripped open the packages. I contacted them and they said I should have paid for hand sort. I showed them the receipt and then they just shrugged and asked what I wanted them to do. I told them to replace the contents and they said they would not file a claim over a couple of small screws. I asked for free shipping on the replacement packages I had to send and they said they were not allowed to do that. So I was out close to $100 and the post office did nothing.

Here is what happened when someone sent me some whistles made out of 223 cases. BTW, they are both supposed to look the same and not flattened.

7051F153-3C89-4389-BCA5-6C1B80D07805_zps

And here is the excuse, it was received damaged. I can guarantee the sender did not send it through a sorting machine before mailing.

3d2fc5c9-dd75-4a2b-992e-948d3eefb8f5_zps

I've thought of complaining but then I wouldn't ever see any of my mail.

Yea, kinda like the same reason you don't get into an argument with a airline ticket agent if you're checking bags.   You may get to your destination, but your bags are likely to end up in another city... 

• Like 1

After reading some of your stories, I hope my mail lady never retires.  She's super, especially on package deliveries.    She takes all the packages and drops them at the garage door, covers them with a bag if it's raining, etc.    One time she blew my mind by dragging a 68 lb box of bullets to the garage door rather than putting a card pickup in the box.   :)    

You better believe I'll continue to put a Christmas gift in the box during the holidays.   Heck, I even get a thank you note for the gift.    

• Like 2

We only have a rural postman. He's old, crotchety and I'd almost swear he's drunk half the time. He hates our driveway. Complains that he can't turn around on it. Told my husband and myself that we could save a lot of time if we would go to the post office and get a po box. WHAT!?!?!? And when he has packages, he'll pull up, honk, make us walk out to his car, he'll pop the trunk and tell us what to grab. No kidding. I want to punch the SOB half the time. I've thought of complaining but then I wouldn't ever see any of my mail.

Ours delivered a package to me last year and did the same BS. Pulled into my driveway and honked so I could come about get the package from him so he did not have to get out of the jeep. He also told me to get a new mailbox because my door wont stay on..... I am not making this up, it gets hit every week. I did not even concrete it in the ground after about 4 times of it being knocked over. I've only had one person offer to pay to replace what they did. Now when it gets hit it just leans over to one side.

• Like 1
Ive had 3 packages stolen already. Talking with the Postmaster their GPS codes match my place but I never get them.

I get delivieres late in the day around 1630 when im typically home and my wife is always home now but I havent seen any of these...one was $200 worth of Dillon and reloading gear

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

My postman sucks as well.  If it can be wedged and in any way stuffed into my mailbox out by the street, it's going to be.  One time, he all but folded the edge of an oversized envelope to get it into the mailbox.  All that was in there was a replacement copy of my Honorable Discharge certificate that I wanted to frame for display, which pissed me off.  I filed a complaint on that one.

If I could, I'd put a lock on the mailbox, and cut a slit just wide enough for letters, requiring him to walk anything bigger to the front door.  But, since I rent, and my mailbox is inside a brick thing, I'm SOL.  Best believe I'll make that change when I actually buy a house.  Until then, I can just smile when I have a USPS package waiting at my door because it meant he had to get out of his truck and walk 20 feet.

We had a problem with mail thieves in the past. We installed a big steel mailbox to prevent most of it. But packages end up where ever the mailman feels like tossing them. I have found them in high weeds, hidden behind trees, on the bumper of our truck, sitting on trunks of cars as well as sometimes they just leave the notice to come pick them up.

Plenty of times I went in mine to get one of my packages coming to me. I knew it was at the post office on Saturday and they have a soft policy of no packages will be delivered on Monday so I decided to go down there to get it. They had already ran the mail and then my package was delivered by UPS to my local post office. I go in there to get my package before they close at noon on Saturday and they tell me I am not allowed to pick my mail up at the post office. So even though the package was at my post office Saturday morning I did not get it until Tuesday. The postmaster now seems to be a bit more relaxed about that policy.

They get it right with small packages but the bigger ones get sent all over the country before making it here. Ordered something from just across the border in NC. Said it would be delivered like four days later. Eleven days later I call to get the tracking information and the package had been going from Boston to the mailers city. It was going back and forth and was on its way back for a third time when the seller called and got it straightened out.

Brace yourselves. I am now going to do something unusual for me.

I just got an Amazon box, I admit I was napping because when the puppies sleep I sleep. But my big boys were outside. I woke up and ran outside and he had left it at the gate (My regular POS leaves me a "come and get it ticket"). He got back out of his car, picked it up, said because it's a bit heavy!!! WHATTTTTTT??? 

Thank you BTW because it was a puppy donation from the Amazon List! Money was about to get his butt whooped for ordering something heavy. Turns out it was wet food. LOL 

But there, I did it. I said something nice about a rural mailman!

Also, my hair looked much like my avatar, only real and not an afro wig when I ran out. I am surprised he stayed. LOL  :bowrofl:  :bowrofl:  :bowrofl:

Edited by MrsMonkeyMan2500

Sold a phone on Swappa in late Nov. Shipped it USPS Priority Small Flat rate box. Two weeks later the guy asked for a refund because it never arrived. Looked up the tracking number and it said it was sent to lost mail because it could not be delivered. That's right, they could update the tracking number that it couldn't be delivered but from that number they couldn't lookup where it was going or where it should be returned to. Filed a find request and two weeks later got a notice that they had received my request. Filed an insurance claim a week later. Two weeks ago I get a denied claim request. I promptly filed an appeal with the response of, "Either find my package and return it to me or pay the claim." Guess what arrived the other day to my utter shock? A check for the claim. Of course, since I hadn't insured it for more than the stock $50 included, I only got $50 + the postage back for a phone I sold for $100. But $50 is better than $0. Yeah, USPS sucks.

OK I gotta share one of my stories...I was chasing a suspect one night that happened to run around behind the Post Office.  After I downed him and did the cuff-n-stuff I back tracked to check for any evidence that may have been ditched along the way.  Since he had run right past the dumpster behind the Post Office I did a quick look in the dumpster.  I noticed a lot and I mean a LOT of mail including magazines among other things.  On top was a "Mustang Monthly" magazine.  It just so happens that I was a subscriber to that magazine and had contacted them twice due to not receiving my magazines.  Imagine my surprise when I saw the address label on this one was my name and address.  I visited the Post Master the next day.  Never missed an issue after that.

• Like 1

OK I gotta share one of my stories...I was chasing a suspect one night that happened to run around behind the Post Office. After I downed him and did the cuff-n-stuff I back tracked to check for any evidence that may have been ditched along the way. Since he had run right past the dumpster behind the Post Office I did a quick look in the dumpster. I noticed a lot and I mean a LOT of mail including magazines among other things. On top was a "Mustang Monthly" magazine. It just so happens that I was a subscriber to that magazine and had contacted them twice due to not receiving my magazines. Imagine my surprise when I saw the address label on this one was my name and address. I visited the Post Master the next day. Never missed an issue after that.

this does not surprise me at all, there has been some stories of letters sent by WWII vets that got lost while overseas and just recently found

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, since we're all sharing our horror stories of the USPS, I might as well share mine which happened in the past few days.

Ordered 2 pair of Wrangler dress jeans from Shelpers in Witchita, KS. Pkg. left there via DHL ( low grade version of UPS/FedEx ),

went to Grand Prairie,TX, then on to Memphis. Handed off to USPS. Sat there 3 days, finally went to Nashville ( bear in mind I live 10 mi. No. of Lebanon ), went "back" to Memphis, sat there for however long, then made it's way on toward my address. Ordered on 2/16, arrived here 2/24. Why it would go to from Memphis to Nashville, back to Memphis, is one of life's great mysteries, explained only by the use of the words "government agency".

Tracking during this fiasco was impossible. Contacted parties involved. None could tell me more than the useless tracking # would provide.

There a an untold number of dumbA--s working for the Feds. The USPS has more than their share.

End of rant. Hope your experience is better. I will go ot of my way to avoid USPS.

BTW, the old pony express made the same trip in less time. Should have drove myself & picked it up.

During that episode of evidence dumpster diving I also learned that if you need a lifetime supply of sample packs of dryer sheets, hand lotions, diapers etc. that usually come in the mail, apparently mail carriers prefer not to carry that stuff around.

• Like 1