What do you like and why

Poly, all metal, striker or hammer fired, small, medium or large and do you carry it.

Also brand, model and any other info you find helpful.

I'll start with mine. I like all metal, hammer fired compact to standard size.

I carry all my pistols so they have to perform.

Some I really like are RIA 1911 9mm/45 acp. The CZ 75B series. Springfield 1911 in Commander to full size (5"). Kimber Stainless II in 45 acp.

Basically I like the way they feel in my hand and they seem to have a natural point of aim and I shoot them fairly well. I also like the mechanics of them.

I also like blacked out rear sight and big white dot up front.

• Like 1

I mainly stay with "proven" handguns from the professionals that rely on them.  Early in my gun fascination years, I use to buy the cheap ones, or mid price ones, the ones that were never carried by the professionals (mainly due to price).  After careful consideration and maturity in my hobby, I concluded stay with what is actually proven by thousands of professionals out there.  With that said, its Glock and Sig Sauer as far I am concerned, and I will throw in the Beretta as well.

My two all time favorites to carry:

Glock 30S, its small, and throws bowling balls!

Sig P6, its small, and fits my hand extremely well. 

Honorable to mention:

Sig P220 Carry, its my most accurate handgun; Glock 23, 19 or 32, just like the size; and finally my Sig P228, its just a great handgun. 

My daily problem is usually the decision itself (which one!)

I like Glocks and 1911's . They are very easy to detail strip without hardly any tools. I like the Glocks for reliability and the fact that they have so few parts. The 1911's are great when you fine ones that will run reliably. I find the Springfield fullsize ones in Mil-Spec will run great out of the box. I carry those and Glocks. I have gotten to the point where I will not own a firearm unless I can detail strip the whole thing down to all springs and pins and do all my own work on them. For example I like the Beretta M9/FS but I detail stripped one and the amount of springs and so many parts made me think about what could go wrong. CZ's are great ! I love CZ's but they have a gazillion parts !!!!!  Plus I want very good parts availability , like where I can get them without going on the internet and I cant do that with CZ nor much others.

• Like 2

Great thread! These are the kind of threads that make TGO great.  Talking about guns.

Favorite handgun for enjoyment:  Springfield 1911.  I love the way it feels in my hand, how accurately I can shoot and the sheer hip, slick and cool look.

Favorite handgun for defense:  Close call, though I'll give it to the S&W M&P 9.  I shoot it well, it holds plenty of ammo, it's a quality gun.  Being a modern gun, it is easy to clean and care for.

Runner up:  Sig P226 SAO.  It's a bit heavier for carry.  Heck, it's such a nice gun I would want to risk having it confiscated.

Favorite home defense weapon:  Mossberg 500, 8 shot.  I like it because it's a working gun.  High quality, low price and ready to kick ass and take names.  I like the safety on top of the stock and it has dual ejectors. I live in an apartment and use #4 buckshot.

Favorite rifle:  M1 Garand, 30-06.  It's a sweet shooting gun, packed with history, that is really accurate.  

Favorite rifle runner up:  The SKS.  Easy to clean.  easy to shoot.  Not as heavy on the history, though a fine weapon any way you look at it.

Edited by Pete123

I love my p229s, I'd carry one everywhere if I could but they require a good belt and holster. More often around town I carry my little p238 sas. It's a sweet little pistol that'll conceal easily and is more accurate than I am with it. I grew up carrying a S&W airweight with an ankle holster that my grandfather passed down.

2 hours ago, 1gewehr said:

Favorites:

Sig P210 (not a fan of Sig Sauer)

CZ75, CZ75B

Sterling SMG

Colt 1911A1

High Standard Victor

Spencer M1865

No.5 SMLE.303

AR-15

I always appreciate a guy with good taste!

Glock 19 with RMR.  I carry it everyday I can.  It is reliable, durable, has high capacity, doesn't weigh too much.  RMR allows me to stay focused on the target, reduces the impact of my poor eyesight and even when my glasses get knocked off my face I can still shoot pretty well. 

Some time back I decided to try several different handguns just to see what I liked best. The 1911's weren't bad and felt good in my hand, but the reliability just wasn't there. Beretta was a good solid shooter and it almost made the cut, but the weight had me wanting to move to a polymer gun. The XD was nice. It's features were kind of cool, in fact it was the first gun that made the carry cut. After having some ftf issues around the 600-700 round mark I simply didn't have the confidence to carry it and believe it to be reliable enough for my ccw. My next move was a Glock 26. I bought the 26 from a fellow TGO member and felt it was a little better than ok. Reliable, light, and easy to disassemble. But it still wasn't the one. And I'll be honest, I've never been a fan of Glocks... until the 17 came home with me. With thousands of rounds down the barrel now it's been a great gun. I'd never rule out trying another make or model but for now it's the Glock.

• Like 1

For me I Iike the same manual of arms. I like the same trigger pull every time, and it must be hammer fired.  This led me to HK's LEM. The one that does it best for me is the 45c light LEM.  It's the perfect balance of size, concealability and firepower for me. 

Like mentioned before, I like guns that have been tested by professionals that are far harder on them than I am. Guns that don't have weak links or if they do they can be remedied with parts or work from the aftermarket, not a design flaw. Typically guns that are used by groups that aren't restricted by anything including budgets, they get what is best for the task at hand.

I tend to favor HK handguns or modified 9mm Glocks. I still stand by the fact that there is not a better .45 pistol on the market for hard use than the HK45.

I still like a Jframe for a BUG, even with all the micro .380s and 9s. I have been looking hard at the 43 though.

If it's just for fun at the range, a large bore revolver is hard to beat. Mid range .44mag from a N frame, or top level loads (that are safe in a SAA) out of a Colt SAA or clone are very relaxing for me.

I've been a 1911 guy for decades. A 1992 vintage combat commander in SS is one of my preceded carry guns. Sig P229 also. I have  Sig Legion 226SAO that competes for my affections with the 1911. I also have a 220 carry that fits that bill.

Flocks run great, but I don't shoot them well with the grip angle. I picked up a Sig P320 that fills that bill now and it is now my ugly gun lighter that the commander, more ammo, and it works well for me.

Bolt guns older Savage 110, or an 03A3 Springfield, or Garand. AR's simply work well and you can customize them endlessly but they are a bit soulless.

Shotgun is  Mossberg 500 in 410 or 20ga depending on the need, or an old police issue Ithaca 12ga pump.

Oh forget it I'll take one of each...................

7 hours ago, DaveTN said:

Yes.

I have many different applications for handguns, so I have many different handguns.

I'm with Dave. My daily CC is a Kahr, but I do love me some S&W revolvers and have several. Also like my various 1911's. I suppose my view is that a gun is like a tool. And there's a tool for most applications.

• Like 1

My guns have to be simple. That means no switches or unnecessary crap to make them work. For rifles I'll stick with my AK or Remington 700. For shotguns Mossberg 500, Browning Maxus, or one of my Kolars. For pistols give me a 9mm Glock/Shield or a J-Frame. I like Aimpoint, Nikon, and Bushnell for optics for my bangsticks. Surefire for weapon lights. Only pistol sights I like are XS Big Dots but if I have to have notch and post sights I want straight 8s. I'm not a big 1911 fan and I hate 40s.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Well given this is posted in the Handguns section I'll stay with that topic line.

I like all metal handguns, particularly older S&W and Colt revolvers as well as pre-Series 70 and Series 70 Colt 1911 pistols. I'm particularly fond of Colt Commanders in .38 Super and .45 ACP. I also genuinely like and admire Browning Hi-Power pistols from the 1960 period up until they began being assembled in Portugal. I like the all metal CZ-75 quite a bit too.

I don't like polymer framed pistols of any kind but trust Glock 17/19/22/23's enough to have willingly carried them with great frequency. I consider the G-19 an ideal compromise insofar as size, caliber, reliability, accuracy and ease of carry come into play. The little Ruger LCP is a constant companion even though I bemoan the caliber I would like a 9mmP in something fractionally larger that I could rely on to be a trustworthy pocket pistol.

75B Omega.

Was my EDC for years.

Upgraded to a SDP from CZC for double the money...its a great pistol, better ergos for smaller hands and highly recommended,  but I still shoot the Omega slightly better...

Plus those all steel mags can double as blunt striking objects

Glock 9mm, 5" reliable 1911 .45 and Keltec .32 for SYA guns.  But there are whole bunch of others that are sure fun at the range.  My preferred sight on a Glock is the traditional "fence" rear sight, but in steel, along with a red fiber optic front sight.   I'll carry a Keltec .32 everyday, all day.  If you see me carrying a 1911 .45 then you will probably see me also carrying a pump 12 gauge because everything must have gone to hell.  I'll occasionally carry a Glock 9mm if I am operating outside of my normal modus operandi, which precludes unsavory locales, late nights or large crowds.  Under protest normally I'll go to the movies with my wife, but carrying a Glock 9mm to the movies seems prudent. 

I've tried a lot of handguns and have owned most everything at one time or another.  For CCW, I like striker 9mms, and a M&P is what I've been carrying for several years.  It has the Burwell trigger job. 

I use a SW 442 or Ruger LC9 as backup.  For competition my favorite is a SVI 2011 of some sort, and a Baer or STI for single stack.

There are a lot of other pistols that I'm very fond of like the PPQ, Steyr, SIG P320, SIG X5, CZ P09.

Others that wouldn't be my first choice but I can work with them and respect their role as classics: 92FS, Glock, SIG classics, BHP, USP, S&W 3rd gen, CZ 75.