Ronald_55

What is your chosen Self Defense ammo

25 minutes ago, Omega said:

One of the very reasons I started looking into casting my own.  All these restrictions on legal ammo irritate me, if the round itself is legal, why is it higher priced for civilians (contracts and bulk purchases not withstanding), if the ammo is over the counter, there should be no qty restrictions whatsoever.

I agree on concept Omega. But a free market (more or less) will drive this. The manufacturers are contractually bound to the Law Enforcement organizations, but from what I read see an opportunity to sell ammo to civilians (I do know cops are civilians LOL) at twice the price. I won't pay that and I do "roll my own" for carry time to time. My carry handloads are primarily wadcutters for my .38 spl handguns. I have some Gold Dot, XTP, and Golden Saber bullets I could load and may well consider that down the road. I have no issue with doing so for SD for the same reasons previously mentioned.

@Gotthegoods I hadn't seen that article my friend. Heck that'll drive the buying market right there!

I still have a couple of 50 rd boxes of Black Hills 124 gr +P I purchased as a 1000 lot back when they loaded using 124 gr Gold Dots. My RMR'd 17 loves 'em.

@Ronald_55 Sorry buddy, got my shipping notice today. ;)

Apparently this no more 50 rounds boxes of the good stuff for us peasants foolishness started recently, like last week.

I used a variety of rounds, mostly its what was available and worked when I was "qualifying" that particular pistol. I've got Gold Dots in one, Federal somethingorother in another, and a coupe versions of Hornady in others.  I'm less concerned with bullet terminal performance than I am with reliable function and accuracy (which is me, not the gun). 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, peejman said:

I'm less concerned with bullet terminal performance than I am with reliable function and accuracy (which is me, not the gun). 

Excellent point peejman!

I don't chamber the same round more than twice, 3 times at most, because of the potential of bullet setback or nose damage that potentially occurs when chambering. I just toss that/those round(s) in a ziplock back for later range use. As I shoot/practice/train with my Glocks or Shield that yields me about at least 100 rounds per year. I make it a habit to shoot empty my carry mag at least once a year to ensure fresh functional ammo in the mag. I also I use these "recycled" rounds to ensure POA = POI and reliable functioning in my carry guns. This is the primary reason I've purchased the 50 round boxes, and generally multiples in the same lot, in the past.

Doubling the price, as with restricting the 50 round box sales is gonna hurt...

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, prag said:

Excellent point peejman!

I don't chamber the same round more than twice, 3 times at most, because of the potential of bullet setback or nose damage that potentially occurs when chambering. I just toss that/those round(s) in a ziplock back for later range use. As I shoot/practice/train with my Glocks or Shield that yields me about at least 100 rounds per year. I make it a habit to shoot empty my carry mag at least once a year to ensure fresh functional ammo in the mag. I also I use these "recycled" rounds to ensure POA = POI and reliable functioning in my carry guns. This is the primary reason I've purchased the 50 round boxes, and generally multiples in the same lot, in the past.

Doubling the price, as with restricting the 50 round box sales is gonna hurt...

I also never chamber a round more than twice before it goes to range bag. I'm glad I bought enough ammo back years ago that I don't have to go looking for any more. Only having 2 different calibers to buy for I bought enough back before the ammo prices went way up. I do wish I would have bought more Hornaday Critical defense than I did but I think I have enough to get by and I do have other great self defense ammo's I can fall back on if I need to.

• Like 1

45 ACP ... 230gr Golden Saber

45 ACP +P  ....230gr Underwood Nosler

40 S&W ...180gr Federal HST

9mm ........124gr Federal HST

10mm.......180gr Underwood Gold Dot

357 Sig.....125gr Underwood Gold Dot 

45 GAP.....200gr Gold Dot 

380acp.... 90gr Underwood XTP

38 Spl..... 130gr Federal HST 

357 Mag...125gr Hornady FTX

44 Spl...... 200gr Underwood LWC

Federal HST or Hydra-Shok. I order 50 round boxes online.

I've used Critical Defense and Golden Saber but have been getting Sig Sauer V-Crown recently.

All the years of off and on illegally possessing, just used whatever hollow point I saw first. Did some research when I first got permit and went with Golden Sabre, also 'cause local cops used it. Built up a stash over time so have just stayed with it, don't shoot it up often.

I'm sure it will still be adequate if I do my part.

- OS

• Like 1