Eye Opening Article about the NRA... Actually Not Really

Moped

Odd source for this type of article on Tennessee Gun Owners. It's from Rolling Stone magazine. Seems funding for the NRA as been slipping and rather than get rid of WLP and his crew of misfits, they are cutting funding for shooting education. Imagine that. The NRA was a great organization, until the crooks took it over. And I don't see it ever coming back to preeminence until WLP and his cronies are gone. Of course, as long as there's enough cash coming in to support their lifestyles, that's not going to happen.

I'd copy and paste the article here, but I'm afraid the graphics might not come over. So here's the link. Go read it for yourselves.

The NRA Is Cannibalizing Itself (msn.com)

• Like 7

It's a shame really. I started shooting when our local YMCA started an Air Rifle club sponsored by the NRA back in the early 70s. Of course different times for sure but... teaching and passing on the skills and disciplines required for safe shooting were the forefront of the organization.

• Like 4

WLP is a crook, no doubt, but the 76 member board that elects him is who we need to focus on. In 2022 WLP got 75 out of 76 votes. If you're like me, you can't name one single member on that board. I look at the names on the NRA ballot when I vote, but I have no clue who they. My guess is that anyone we'd WANT to run the NRA isn't interested, but those who want to control all that NRA money are the kind of people who keep electing WLP.

• Like 4

Every time the nice lady calls to solicit a donation, I politely tell her, " Ma'am, I will not donate another dime to the NRA until Wayne LaPierre and company are no longer associated with it. I would appreciate it if you could pass this message along."

They never seem surprised, and act as if I'm not the first to make this statement.

I am a life member from way back, and would really like my money back at this point. It is a damned shame what this once great organization has become.

• Like 8
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Every time the nice lady calls to solicit a donation, I politely tell her, " Ma'am, I will not donate another dime to the NRA until Wayne LaPierre and company are no longer associated with it. I would appreciate it if you could pass this message along."

They never seem surprised, and act as if I'm not the first to make this statement.

I am a life member from way back, and would really like my money back at this point. It is a damned shame what this once great organization has become.

Almost word for word my experience with the solicitors in the last years.

I'll give money when WLP is gone. I get these 1/2 times a year still. Motly the response is short pause and a hangup.

FWIW. I met Wayne in a recieving line way, way back at a convention.

My takeaway was that he was just another slimy politico. Reminded me of Al Gore. And even though my Dad loved the man(Al or more likely one of his staff...leaned on the Social Security Medical Review Board to get his disability approved) I couldn't stand him even at the beginning.

FYI. My donations for the cause go to TFA, GOA, SASociety.

Edited by hipower
  • Like 4
22 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I wonder who is still supporting them. Clearly someone is still sending money. If they can't even get support from members of a gun forum I'm not sure who that leaves. 

My guess is corporate donations/advertisements exceed grassroots donations at this point.

• Like 4
1 minute ago, hipower said:

Almost word for word my experience with the solicitors in the last years.

I'll give money when WLP is gone. I get these 1/2 times a year still. Motly the response is short pause and a hangup.

FWIW. I met Wayne in a recieving line way, way back at a convention.

My takeaway was that he was just another slimy politico. Reminded me of Al Gore. And even though my Dad loved the man(Al or more likely one of his staff...leaned on the Social Security Medical Review Board to get his disability approved) I couldn't stand him even at the beginning.

Al Gore Sr. Was a crook and a politician, but did try to help Tennessee. I probably would have voted for him at the time.

Al Jr. Is a whole nuther can of worms. In their case, the nut fell quite far from the tree. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Al Gore Sr. Was a crook and a politician, but did try to help Tennessee. I probably would have voted for him at the time.

Al Jr. Is a whole nuther can of worms. In their case, the nut fell quite far from the tree. 

We are in total agreement here! LOL. Many other places too.

• Like 2

Oh, there are lots of hardcore NRA believers out there. No matter how bad things get, they'll never say a bad word about the NRA nor will they accept any proof of mismanagement. They just refuse to hear it. 

Over on the big blue forum, any thread bad mouthing the NRA gets shut down almost immediately. 

When it comes to education, training or competition, the NRA can't be beat. Its the political side that's screwing us. WLP has gotten too caught up in playing the game and compromising us to death. 🤬

I'm still a member mainly because my gun club requires it and the fact that they are the big kids on the block. Dwindling membership just gives the antis more ammo. However, I don't give one red cent more than my annual dues. 

I'm also a member of TFA, GOA, SAF and FPC. Now these I throw a little extra money to now and then. 😉

• Like 4
5 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Ditto.

• Like 2

When an organization becomes a self-licking ice cream cone, it's time to raze it to the ground and start over.  The NRA's political clout ain't what it used to be, so this wouldn't be as impactful as some think.  Before social media, the gun community needed them to carry the banner, but now, not so much.

And it's a shame.  This organization probably made shooting more accessible and safer than anyone could when that was the focus.  The turn to politics because that's where the money was (maybe still is) diluted a lot of purpose and value.  I'd love to see a deep dive into the expenditures by ProPublica...it would probably be worse than we think.

• Like 3
  • Moderators
3 hours ago, btq96r said:

When an organization becomes a self-licking ice cream cone, it's time to raze it to the ground and start over.  The NRA's political clout ain't what it used to be, so this wouldn't be as impactful as some think.  Before social media, the gun community needed them to carry the banner, but now, not so much.

And it's a shame.  This organization probably made shooting more accessible and safer than anyone could when that was the focus.  The turn to politics because that's where the money was (maybe still is) diluted a lot of purpose and value.  I'd love to see a deep dive into the expenditures by ProPublica...it would probably be worse than we think.

I’ve got this book sitting on my shelf in the queue to read. 

Misfire: Inside the Downfall of the NRA https://a.co/d/9Tl4ekY

Edited by Chucktshoes
  • Moderators
On 11/16/2023 at 1:49 PM, gregintenn said:

Ha. That last time the NRA called, I very politely and very sincerely told the nice lady that I would gladly donate to them when they became a pro-gun organization again.

She was at first silent, but then sorta attempted to explain that she was calling on the behalf of the "National Rifle Association, a pro-gun group". I repeated myself and explained I'd be giving my money to GOA but would gladly through some towards the NRA when they became a pro-gun organization.

She politely concluded the call and I'm 99% sure that's the last call I received from them.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Moderators

I'm a lifetime member of the NRA and several other organizations. I have told the NRA I will not give them another dime until changes are made. Now I do give heavily to several of the other organizations like GOA, TFA, FPC, SAF and others. 

Edited by TripleGGG
  • Like 4
On 11/16/2023 at 2:21 PM, gregintenn said:

The uninformed. Sadly, they also vote.

I’m my case, membership is required to belong to the conservation club. Apparently the club insurance is somehow tied to the requirement that everyone have an active NRA membership. $90 a year for a private club with multiple types of shooting ranges and no restrictions other than a 300 member cap make it too hard to resist. 

if a similar facility opened up without the NRA involvement, I’d be there in a minute. Even if it were slightly more expensive. 

• Like 2

Over the years I've carried a lot of water for the NRA. I really wanted em to straighten up.  They simply haven't...SIGH.

I finally gave up on em.  I've joined with the Firearms Policy Coalition and the Second Amendment Foundation.  I'm like others here, the management of the NRA has to go before I send em any dollars.

NRA refusenik leroy.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, gregintenn said:

It seems to me that any political organization eventually turns into a money laundering operation.

The phrase "turns into" implies a change in plans along the way.  Most political organizations are set up with the grifting aspect being part of the business/operating model.  Even sincere ones that want to impact policy make sure someone or a few someones are taken care of along the way.

• Like 2
On 11/16/2023 at 1:06 PM, Erik88 said:

I wonder who is still supporting them. Clearly someone is still sending money. If they can't even get support from members of a gun forum I'm not sure who that leaves. 

I know the Boy Scouts use their training program to teach merit badges and safe gun handling to youth. They require NRA instructor credentials. 

• Like 1