TV Opinions wanted.

tacops

Looking at Samsung 55 inch TVs at WalMart.  Have no clue as to meaning of Crystal UHD vs QLED etc.  Mainly interested in just watching TV and smart features allowing access to netflix etc. I don't intend on spending more than $800 max, prefer less.  Surely there are folks in the TGO community that have some knowledge or personal experience to offer.  Thanks 

LG UHD 55” is a top tv. Model listed below I copied and pasted that’s why the text is bigger and under $500 most places. I’m not yelling at you. I’m an LG loyalist these days. With 2 OLED tv’s hanging on the wall it’s very hard to drop back a level. LED technology is fantastic and cheap (in a good way). Stick with the household names and most anything will be great.

55UQ7570PUJ

• Like 2

QLED is a better picture, but you'll likely pay more for that (until something better comes out). The price tag also has a lot to do with the materials involved. For an $800 tv, you can expect smart features and a good picture. What you cannot expect is a lot of expandability. You probably won't get many updates to the smart features and the TV won't have more than a few HDMI ports and maybe a USB or two.

If you put them side to side in the store, the QLED should look better. However, keep in mind that most stores are playing content that really takes advantage of the tvs capabilities. At home, you probably aren't watching vibrant demo videos filmed with an IMAX camera. Heck you probably aren't even watching videos in 4k to be honest.

If you have FOMO (fear of missing out) or You're a feature snob, then it's QLED. Otherwise, pay what you're willing and realize that once you get it home...you wouldn't notice the difference anyway.

Oh, and I much prefer using a Roku for smart features anyway. I buy mid grade $1000-$1200 TVs and then put money into the Roku and a decent soundbar. In fact, they make a Roku soundbar. I have two for my smaller TVs.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, jhc77 said:

LG UHD 55” is a top tv. Model listed below I copied and pasted that’s why the text is bigger and under $500 most places. I’m not yelling at you. I’m an LG loyalist these days. With 2 OLED tv’s hanging on the wall it’s very hard to drop back a level. LED technology is fantastic and cheap (in a good way). Stick with the household names and most anything will be great.

55UQ7570PUJ

I've had good luck with LG tvs as well.

• Like 1

You may want to check out the reviews on the LG A2 line.  Just know it may be hard to tell the difference in a big box store under their lighting as well.  If you are looking for the best bang for buck, you may want to visit Electronic Express or at a Best Buy and find the TV geek to help you select one in this budget.  If you were looking for great quality at a higher price point, I’d steer you to the LG C3 line-up (or an older C1 or C2, if you could find one).

Just for general reference.  Picture quality will usually be as listed below (in descending order of quality)

-         -  QD-OLED - Quantum Dot OLED, new and expensive

-         -  OLED Organic Light-Emitting Diode, not quite as bright as QLED but better blacks

-         -  QLED – Quantum Dot LED

-          - Others

• Like 1

Adding on. I've nothing but Samsung TVs since maybe '07. In fact i still have my original 55" (back when they were a few grand and this one isn't even LED backlit, CCFL still holding on strong.

No complaints about LG's though. We have family who swear by them. These days, they're all pretty solid

• Like 1

I've had the worst luck with Samsung TVs. One had a power supply issue, one had a backlight go out, and another had the mainboard go out. It could be coincidence, but I lost faith in them.

Since I don't play video games, I don't have a 2K source for watching movies, let alone a 4K, and I can't hardly tell the difference in a really good picture or a mediocre picture due to having crappy eyes, I just buy what's on sale nowadays. That's great for me because I save a ton of money buying Vizio, Insignia, etc.

• Like 3
  • Administrator
55 minutes ago, BigK said:

I've had the worst luck with Samsung TVs. One had a power supply issue, one had a backlight go out, and another had the mainboard go out. It could be coincidence, but I lost faith in them.

I have had similar bad luck with Samsung.  We stopped buying Samsung appliances of ANY sort and switched to LG for our TVs.  No regrets.

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, TGO David said:

I have had similar bad luck with Samsung.  We stopped buying Samsung appliances of ANY sort and switched to LG for our TVs.  No regrets.

We went through 3 Samsung dishwashers in 4 years. I'll use their phones, but like you said...nothing else they make.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the input.  I currently have Samsung, Toshiba, Emerson and LG in my house all of which are at least 5 years old. I went to Wally World ( I Hate this place but it was the closest to me that sells 55 inch TVs).  I went in thinking Samsung QLED with all the bells and whistles.  My wife pointed to the LG 55UQ7070ZUE and said "I like that one".  It was less than half the price of what I was planning on buying so like a good husband I said "whatever you want baby would you like some wireless headphones to go with that?".  

I've stopped trying to understand the television quality terms. I think we are getting to a point where the tv can display finer that what our eyes can see. I have officially became a LG brandwhore for all tv's in the house. They have lasted with zero issues and I like the layout of my remotes lol. 

• Like 2
  • Moderators

I have several Samsung TVs in house, office and motorhome. All sizes and models from 85" QLED down. Zero issues and love the easy compatibility with my Samsung phones and tablets.

As for the security issues I turn off all microphones, etc but also I have things in place to protect from those issues. 

• Moderators

The wife and I refuse to have any “smart” devices in the house aside from our phones. So smart tvs are not something we desire. We’re gonna ride out our 40” Vizio until it dies. The buy used if we can’t find a new dumb tv. 

21 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

The wife and I refuse to have any “smart” devices in the house aside from our phones. So smart tvs are not something we desire. We’re gonna ride out our 40” Vizio until it dies. The buy used if we can’t find a new dumb tv. 

The least smart thing in my house is me . . .

• Haha 1

I know this is totally irrelevant but my nearly 20 year old Panasonic Viera 50" Plasma TV is still rocking and has an excellent picture.  They made really good TV's back then...and a lot more expensive than what good ones cost now.

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 2
57 minutes ago, Garufa said:

I know this is totally irrelevant but my nearly 20 year old Panasonic Viera 50" Plasma TV is still rocking and has an excellent picture.  They made really good TV's back then...and a lot more expensive than what good ones cost now.

I'm with you. I finally retired my 50" Panasonic G series for an LG 65" C1.  That Panasonic Plasma is still going at my daughter's.  Deep blacks and the whites are like cream.  But the only thing I regret about moving to the LG OLED is that I didn't go with the 77".  I thought the move to 65" would be enough... but it wasn't.  The OLED is amazing especially with HDR content.  There is no going back.

Edited by DHF
1 hour ago, DHF said:

I'm with you. I finally retired my 50" Panasonic G series for an LG 65" C1.  That Panasonic Plasma is still going at my daughter's.  Deep blacks and the whites are like cream.  But the only thing I regret about moving to the LG OLED is that I didn't go with the 77".  I thought the move to 65" would be enough... but it wasn't.  The OLED is amazing especially with HDR content.  There is no going back.

I’ve got a Panasonic plasma upstairs and it won’t quit.  I think it’s from 2011 or 13. I can feel the heat from the screen about 2-4” away. I did go with the 77” OLED in the living room. Wife had a fit when they dropped it off and mounted it. They were on my side. Said the box made it bigger than it really is. It didn’t shrink much though. 

• Like 3