Snow

Sun’s going down and so are the temps.  Now we’re going to freeze to death.

There is going to be a seriously thick, icey crust on all this snow tomorrow.  My final yardstick dip was around 1:30 this afternoon for 9”.

At least they’re predicting sunshine tomorrow, but more “wintry mix” by Friday.

• Like 2

I use to have 4x4's back when I worked but when gas went out of site my was my 4x4 days of toys when I was no longer working. When I say toys my 77 Dodge Ramcharger was just that. I bought it at a sale cheap and began to build what I wanted. 6 inch lift kit, 15x35 Monster mudder tires with steel studs, Detroit locker differentials front and rear and an NP 205 transfer case gear to gear rather than chain driver. Having a 45 gallon gas tank helped when the Dixie Mud Hawgs went off roading in a rally. When I had everything locked in 4x4 it got 6 MPG. I learned 1 think quickly and that was even with the steel studs and big tire cleats on snow and ice it didn't stop any better than my wifes 73 Dodge dart. On a snow like this one the Mudd Hawgs made some good money pulling folks out of ditches and up hills to get them home. We also transported 1st responders from their residence to work at fire halls, police departments and even doctors and nurses to hospitals. Those trips were all freebees. Metro React would contact us on channel 11 on our CB.s and tell us who needed a ride. Those were some fun days. When I got ready to sell the Ramcharger I had a guy make me an offer I could not refuse. He gave me 2 grand more than I had invested to build it 4 years earlier. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Garufa said:

4WD and I don’t  drive like that mode makes me somehow invincible as so many do.  I also know what those two settings below D on the gear shifter are and make use of them when appropriate.

Same brakes as everyone else!👍

• Like 1

Normally I would had the tractor on the drive clearing it today while the sun was shinning but the only thing I'm going out for is physical therapy which got canceled today. My son came Sunday and put hay out, my wife is taking the dog out (she hates it), and I'm hibernating. That's about all I'm good for right now. We got 5 1/2 inches. 

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

4WD and I don’t  drive like that mode makes me somehow invincible as so many do

Even though I have great confidence in my own driving abilities, I'm well aware that when driving in slick conditions I'm equally dependent upon the driving abilities, and tires, of others. I might be doing everything perfectly, but someone going too fast around a corner with poor tires can take me out in a moment.

• Like 4
28 minutes ago, Darrell said:

Even though I have great confidence in my own driving abilities, I'm well aware that when driving in slick conditions I'm equally dependent upon the driving abilities, and tires, of others. I might be doing everything perfectly, but someone going too fast around a corner with poor tires can take me out in a moment.

Right! A lot of my driving is out in the country alone. I take great care around other drivers.

On 1/15/2024 at 6:31 PM, gregintenn said:

Something ain’t right. I have a heat pump, it’ll keep the house whatever temp I set for t on no matter what happens outside. You might want to get your HVAC guy back out to check it out.

Yep , we had an HVAC technician out today and it's some door thingy and something else keeping it from making warm air. It is under warranty THANK GOD ! Parts are ordered and until then we are surviving on kerosene LOL . We grew up heating with a wood stove and a kerosene back-up so its not too bad. 

Edited by tercel89
  • Like 3
25 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Just a friendly PSA, careful not to overdo it shoveling. That’s the yankee version of a widowmaker, not the random tree limb or barn rafter. 

If that were true then we’d have a lot less internet yankees telling us how to run a proper winter. 🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Wow 1
On 1/15/2024 at 8:42 AM, KahrMan said:

We got 4"-5" in Bellevue.

You must be using a different measuring stick there, neighbor. Yesterday when it finished snowing I measured 7.5" on my cars and on the deck, and 9" in the open yard. 10" in the drifts. Or maybe it snowed more on my street.  😄

ETA: KahrMan and I live in the same subdivision. Literally like 3 or 4 streets apart. 😉

Edited by monkeylizard

Speaking of HVAC . . . I got lucky. The heat went out on my downstairs unit last week. It was just a limit switch so an easy and relatively cheap repair. Glad it didn't happen this week.....

Oh.....and so thankful for gas heat. Warm air right from the vents.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, monkeylizard said:

You must be using a different measuring stick there, neighbor. Yesterday when it finished snowing I measured 7.5" on my cars and on the deck, and 9" in the open yard. 10" in the drifts. Or maybe it snowed more on my street.  😄

ETA: KahrMan and I live in the same subdivision. Literally like 3 or 4 streets apart. 😉

And if you look at that post it was in the morning. Later in the afternoon I made another post about finishing at just over 7”.  Still sounds like your side of the neighborhood got more snow. lol 

8 below zero at 6am on my porch in Hebbertsburg. I was worried whether my mini-split system, which does not have an electric heating coil, would keep up, but it's still blowing warm air. I think that next summer I'm going to add a propane heater or two, just in case. I won't do it during the winter, as the prices are double.

Edited by Darrell
  • Like 2

My Wife has been loading wood in the upstairs fireplace and downstairs wood stove while I've be working in the snow. I this she was under the impression it was something I liked doing. LOL 

I mentioned I had to cut it down, split it by hand, stack it, and bring it in the house. 

Probably not the best decision to bring that up. LOL

• Haha 2
9 hours ago, monkeylizard said:

My money is on one of you reading the metric side of the ruler... 😎  Or Bellevue has gotten significantly larger since I moved.

We got over 7" out in Mt Juliet, measured on top of my flat firepit on the back patio. 

Just went out to feed the birds. Red birds are first and last to the feeders at morning and nighttime. My outside thermometer read -10. The other read -12. All I know, it does not feel that much difference, to me, at these temps. Just plain cold.

I don't remember it has ever been this cold, just air temp with no wind chill, ever before. The year we built our home(84) the wind chill was -40 one day and the crew was out framing our home. Head guy asked me if they could burn scrap to keep warm. Of course I told him yes. That was a year no construction was going on and these guys that were doing the framing were needing the work. Most people, when hungry, will work. Felt sorry for those guys.

Left my water dripping last night. First time ever. Been lucky, our water has never frozen, however I did not take the chance at these temps. 

Jimmy Carter was president in 83-4, and interest went to 20% on some items when borrowing money. Put me out of the farming business. Lost my shirt. Went back to the Post Office and now sitting here, warm, and with a good retirement. Thank God and Glory to Him. He showed me a way out of my mess, at that time. Changed my life forever. I now live for HIM and give Him praise. Guys, faith in Jesus Christ is the only way to Him (God that is), if you want to go to heaven.

I encourage you to heed the gospel message. "He who has believed, and has been baptized, shall be saved" (Mark 16:16). Read it for yourselves and believe it. Free choice. God's biblical way to salvation. At 75 and with health issues, I take great comfort in this.   

• Like 1
  • Love 3
  • Thanks 2

Man I'm always amazed by the stupid comments online. People are complaining that Knox City/County has not plowed or treated certain roads. What limited plows we have are working 24/7 to treat the roads. This isn't Buffalo, NY. We don't have the resources to quickly deal with 10" of snow. 

• Like 7