Snow

My drive-clearing operation wasn't too successful. But I did manage to scrape an inch or three of snow off the top of the ice using my tractor and FEL. Maybe MacGyver can send a kid over.....

IMG_0582.JPG

IMG_0583.JPG

Edited by Darrell
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Admin Team
48 minutes ago, Darrell said:

My drive-clearing operation wasn't too successful. But I did manage to scrape an inch or three of snow off the top of the ice using my tractor and FEL. Maybe MacGyver can send a kid over.....

IMG_0582.JPG

IMG_0583.JPG

With three plus an exchange student in the house right now - give me a minute and I might send them over.  

We’re all in about the same place as @Alleycat72’s wife. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I had to drive a complete strangers car earlier. Older woman was visibly shaking trying to make it down my hill. I got in and got her turned around. She wanted me to drive her KIA down the hill but I vetoed that idea. This has been a crazy week. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1
26 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I had to drive a complete strangers car earlier. Older woman was visibly shaking trying to make it down my hill. I got in and got her turned around. She wanted me to drive her KIA down the hill but I vetoed that idea. This has been a crazy week. 

Good on you for doing that. I saw a couple out today that shouldnt be behind the wheel on a clear day 😬

• Like 4

I got out in Murfreesboro and the main streets are fine. My country road was slick and by 4:00 beginning to melt. The county salt truck salted it at 12 noon today and by 4 it was melting a little. It was solid snow and I at 12 noon. had to go get Passports for an upcoming trip to Alaska this August. 

Raining here now.  

My wife and kids had to escape for a while this afternoon. I stayed home because I've come down with a bug of some sort. Main roads seem to be fine but secondary roads are bad in all the places you'd expect. 

I'd hoped the warmer temps today would melt things off a bit, but I can't tell any difference. It's drizzling at little at the moment. Given the continued cold, it's gonna be mid next week before this is gone. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Erik88 said:

Man, I’ll try and help folks like that any time I can. It might be my parents who need help next time. My wife is always amazed at how grateful someone is when you get them out of the ditch…especially if they’ve been there a while. It is a small gesture to you, but might seem life saving to them.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Darrell said:

Passports to Alaska? Did Russia take it back?

If its what I think it is you'll pass through Canada hence you'll need your passport for a portion of the trip

• Like 1

The real problem is that the temperature won't get above freezing. During the day this stuff thaws a little and traffic melts some of it. But then it re-freezes as a solid sheet of ice. Instead of getting better, the driving conditions get worse every day.

Gotta another Arctic blast coming in. Right now its 26 degrees. and falling. That's gonna be our high for today. 🙄

• Like 1

The county just came by and cleared our road with a scraper. They salted it yesterday. I went to town today and all the major streets in town are clear also. Just cold with snow light flurries. 

I’ve seen more deer in the past three days than the past two months in my yard. It’s like they’re taunting me. Biggest buck I’ve seen all year few days ago. Two massive does today, three hours later the dog chased two juveniles all over the woods and down the yard to the road which he thankfully didn’t cross after them. Also there’s way more coyote tracks than I expected. 

27 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

As if I didn't have enough to worry about, I have ice dams in my gutters. Anyone deal with this yet? 

They’ll melt sometime next week. Just try to not be under them when they do.😆

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Yours is worse than my Darrell.

If I look from the end, there's actually a tunnel of ice above the gutters. So the water from the melting ice will still run through the gutters until the whole shebang slips off the roof. Seems to happen every winter and so far there's been no damage.

Edited by Darrell
  • Like 2

it has gone from pretty to just a mess. 9 degrees after the barely above freezing rain. Had to go to Murfreesboro yesterday to have 3 teeth pulled. Roads were fine once I got to a state highway. Wife stopped at Walmart to get my meds and do her bi-weekly grocery shopping. I had to drive the last 6 miles home. Got to one of the hills on our road and there was a truck stuck halfway up. After a car came past us both I waited for him to do SOMETHING. He didn't back down the hill like he should have but I finally saw the telltale blink of reverse lights and was about to head up the hill when someone decided to pass me. Startled, I beeped the horn. They were startled and hit the brakes, slid to the edge of the road. I've got a mouthful of gauze and need to get home to take a pill. Wife can't do anything. I eased up the hill around the truck and on to the house. My choice of Buick Regal TourX wit AWD justified again. Sorry for whomever was in the square Crown Vic but they should have waited.