Things the next generation simply won't understand

1 hour ago, 10-Ring said:

You had to grow up during a very specific time to be faced with this now very obsolete concept. Reaching the nearest pay phone while out and about on your bike when your parents paged you. I had 10 minutes to return the page and knew where every friends house or pay phone was within the area that I roamed about on my bicycle. 

getting a page from your buddies with 911911911 after their number. When you reach said pay phone  they say "Can you bring chips and a 2 liter when you come over?!?"

• Haha 1
15 hours ago, NoBanStan said:

I was lucky and had one of these badboys. Need to go from channel 2 to 30? "zzzzzzzzzzttttttt!"

8459025464_e1f71d5969_z-1348109180.jpg

We had one like this circa 1979 or so. You'd roll the wheel on the left to select a row, then push a button to select that column.

hqdefault.jpg

9 hours ago, gary_boom said:

Where I worked we used a micro fish  to look up parts before computers

When I first started working for TSC we still used microfiche to look up tractor parts.

Edited by KahrMan
  • Like 2
19 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

When I was growing up, my Grandparents still had a pipe well with a rope and bucket and used an outhouse. Kids today wouldn't even know what the Sears catalog was for. 🙄

aESVNWJS.jpg

And you had these for night use. 😉

CxY0hpA.jpg

A  millennial would absolutely freak out if they had to use these! 😵

My grandpa finally dug a well and had an electric pump put in, but it was sulfur water. The well the porch of his house was built around had good drinking water and we used that kind of bucket to draw water. I was about 10 when they got a real toilet instead of that pot to piss in. LOL

• Like 2
1 hour ago, BigK said:

My grandpa finally dug a well and had an electric pump put in, but it was sulfur water. The well the porch of his house was built around had good drinking water and we used that kind of bucket to draw water. I was about 10 when they got a real toilet instead of that pot to piss in. LOL

My great aunt had old school sulfur water. Gah that was awful. I'll never forget that taste.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, BigK said:

My Pa had a well pumped into the house to bathe and wash dishes. Couldn't drink it but I never knew why. Had to draw a bucket from the hand dug well out front. I tell you that was the sweetest coldest water ever. Oddly, they never had a toilet and he had the worst outhouse EVER!

Dad grew up in Red Boiling Springs where they have seven distinctly different Sulphur waters. Used to be a resort town with the different "flavors" touted to have assorted healing powers. Dad LIKED Sulphur water and stopped at one of the hand pumps down in the park area to fill a jar. He had to have a drink and that was a really sour ride home.

• Like 1
On 1/31/2024 at 2:00 PM, gregintenn said:

Ordering chit from the back of a magazine, mailing a check, and waiting 6-8 weeks for delivery. Sea monkeys, x-ray vision glasses, and switchblade combs.

I order a full-auto BB gun out of some kind of magazine Boys life, Outdoor life or something when I was a kid. It ran off a can of Freon, you could see the stream  of BB’s shooting out of it.😂😂It had like a sten type T stock.

Edited by jeff43
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 1/31/2024 at 3:19 PM, Erich said:

Some may have this with remote acreage, but the idea of not just turning on the faucet would be foreign too many 

image.thumb.jpeg.a06fa25a68e9ba843ec5a54ed7cc763f.jpeg

We used to have one at our barn, I’ve pumped water with it. I still have the pump, it’s about 2-3 foot tall.I need to clean it up and paint it.Its sitting in my shed now.

10 minutes ago, papa61 said:

My Pa had a well pumped into the house to bathe and wash dishes. Couldn't drink it but I never knew why. Had to draw a bucket from the hand dug well out front. I tell you that was the sweetest coldest water ever. Oddly, they never had a toilet and he had the worst outhouse EVER!

Dad grew up in Red Boiling Springs where they have seven distinctly different Sulphur waters. Used to be a resort town with the different "flavors" touted to have assorted healing powers. Dad LIKED Sulphur water and stopped at one of the hand pumps down in the park area to fill a jar. He had to have a drink and that was a really sour ride home.

I can't believe my granny and grandpa didn't get kidney stones. You could see the hard water stains on all the sinks, tub, and toilet tank.

• Haha 1
On 1/31/2024 at 2:01 PM, KahrMan said:

Who remembers clackers.  My aunt had a pair of blue glass clackers.  I loved playing with them over at her house in the mid 70's.

Screenshot-2024-01-31-at-1-59-56-PM.png

Clackers was one of the first thing I thought of when I read the OP,

• Like 1
1 hour ago, res308 said:

And Western Auto

My first job was working at Western Auto in Bourdeax (north Nashville) with my grandad in the late 70's.  The hot item was curb feelers.  We could hardly keep them in stock.

image.thumb.png.758e239107a284932f680cd796f1d80e.png

• Haha 1
  • Thanks 1