Home Defense Shotgun recommendations

jgradyc

After reading about several home invasions recently where the homeowner responded with a firearm, I'm disturbed by the fact that almost all said something like the robber was found blocks away or at a hospital emergency room. A lot of bad things could happen during those extra minutes. I'm thinking a one shot stopper is a better approach to home defense. As a result, I'm changing my approach to home defense from 40 cal handgun and 40 cal carbine to 12 ga buckshot for me and 410 Circuit Judge with buckshot for my arthritic wife.

EDITED: By the way, I know "one shot stop" isn't realistic, but eight 32 caliber pellets arriving at 1200fps are going to have a calming effect. :up:

I don't see a need to spend $500+ on a pump shotgun, when they can be had for under $300, so I'm considering the Norinco (IAC) Hawk 982 5+1. It looks like it's in stock at Cheaper than Dirt for $219 free shipping plus TICS at the TGO vendor I'll ship to. Anyone have any pro and con on this shotgun? 

Whatever I get, I want a really short stock.  I have a Winchester Youth 120 20 ga with a 13" trigger pull that's about right for me. Trouble is, it's only 4+1.  I'd prefer more. 

What do you guys think about home defense shotguns?

Edited by jgradyc

I would put 45s in the 410 judge.  Probably a better one shot stop than a couple of pellets of buckshot.

You can upgrade the tube on most shotguns to hold whatever you want.  Mine is 10+1 (its a large gun, though).  I would ignore the capacity IF it can be modified later to hold 6 or 8 or whatever.  

Not sure about those specific models. 

Love the remmy 870 BUT you can get a mossy 500 or even a maverick 88 for cheaper.  I think I read that the IAC hawk is supposed to be a copy of the 870?  I wonder if the aftermarket 870 goodies would fit it?

A good pump shotgun is hard to beat.  Mossberg, Remington, or whatever ya like.  There is a browing BPS with a mag extension next to my bed and a Winchester model 12 in the gunsafe now; with an oft maligned Browning A500 recoil operated semiauto downstaris.

I like shotguns.

leroy

Love the remmy 870 BUT you can get a mossy 500 or even a maverick 88 for cheaper.  I think I read that the IAC hawk is supposed to be a copy of the 870?  I wonder if the aftermarket 870 goodies would fit it?

Yes and yes. I purchased a Hawk 982 from CTD a couple of months ago and I absolutely love it. I have added a ATI 6-position stock and Magpul forearm, both for the 870. From my understanding, the only Rem 870 part that does not work is the barrel. But, keep in mind that it is heavier than the 870. For the $200 price range, I would highly recommend it and  I love the ghost ring sight.

It just depends on how much of a mess you want to clean up. If you shoot a guy and he runs out of your house to bleed, that's a plus. If you blast a guy at close range with a self defense 12 gauge, there's going to be a mess. You won't be able to clean it up until the police finish their investigation, by then everything will have started to congeal.

Your home will never be the same....but you will be alive! :up:  

I prefer a Remington model 870 (nothing fancy) and number one buck shot. Keep your .40 too.

Edited by Will Carry
I like the 870, but if cost is an issue, the IAC Hawk is a great shotgun for home defense purposes. I plan on buying one, based on the price alone. It is a very close copy of the 870, and most aftermarket parts months 870 will work on the Hawk.

I've had the opportunity to fondle the Hawk, and other than the action being a bit stiff, I couldn't find anything about it that I didn't like. Without having done much research, I suspect the stiff action can be fixed without much trouble.
Edited by TripleDigitRide

I like the 870, but if cost is an issue, the IAC Hawk is a great shotgun for home defense purposes. I plan on buying one, based on the price alone. It is a very close copy of the 870, and most aftermarket parts months 870 will work on the Hawk.

I've had the opportunity to fondle the Hawk, and other than the action being a bit stiff, I couldn't find anything about it that I didn't like. Without having done much research, I suspect the stiff action can be fixed without much trouble.

I looked at the Pardner Pump when I bought my 870. The action was a little smoother. I bought the 870 because I didn't mind spending the extra 100 bucks, and figured Remington would be around as long as I needed them. Then, I replaced the furniture with Hogue to get rid of their extra crappy recoil pad. Fun gun to shoot.

Edited by mikegideon

I bought my 20 inch Mossy 500A with 7+1 capacity for less than $300. I don't recommend getting some off brand to save just a few bucks.

I can't comment about the Mossy because I have never shot one, but I have a 870 Express and the Hawk 982. I prefer the Hawk over the Remington. The Hawk just seems to be a better quality gun to me. And I am satisfied that this knockoff was well worth the money. And the action does smooth up after use.

Edited by jbravo

Another option to consider is a New England Pardner Pump Protector.  They are often available for around $200 or less, new, from places like Dick's.

Is a Chinese knock-off of an 870 (better in some ways than what passes for the 870 Express version now).  Compatibility "might" be an issue if you wanted to trick it out with 870 parts but from my understanding is not impossible.

I looked at the Pardner Pump when I bought my 870. The action was a little smoother. I bought the 870 because I didn't mind spending the extra 100 bucks, and figured Remington would be around as long as I needed them. Then, I replaced the furniture with Hogue to get rid of their extra crappy recoil pad. Fun gun to shoot.

The Pardner Protector is what I have. I find it very reliable and sturdy, and like the OP, I didn't want to sink a lot of money into something that would pretty much just sit in the corner.

Do you have any respectable pawn shops near you? I'd be on the lookout for a used but reliable Winchester Defender 1300. They can sometimes be found in pawn shops for $250-300.

I have both the Winchester and the Remington 870 and it's my opinion that the Winchester is far superior. 7+1 and the action is like butter.

Check gun broker also. Here is one that needs some TLC but appears serviceable for only $175.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=343890779

Edited by Erik88

Do you have any respectable pawn shops near you? I'd be on the lookout for a used but reliable Winchester Defender 1300. They can sometimes be found in pawn shops for $250-300.

I have both the Winchester and the Remington 870 and it's my opinion that the Winchester is far superior. 7+1 and the action is like butter.

Check gun broker also. Here is one that needs some TLC but appears serviceable for only $175.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=343890779

+1on the Winchester Defender. Great pump gun.

I've had several HD shotguns over the the years; my favorite and my current one is a Benelli Super Nova Tactical - simple and high quality.

Don't remember what I paid but I think it was under $450.

In reality; almost any pump shotgun is a pretty good choice for a HD weapon...any bad guy is not going to know or care if it has a pistol/folding stock or whether it's black with a synthetic stock or a pretty "hunting" shotgun.  In fact, what I'd really recommend is that you pay as little for the shotgun as possible and spend the rest on a good tactical shotgun course such as the one Rangemasters offers.