Open Carry... your thoughts.

I will beg your indulgence up front as it is early, I have been away for a while, so my debate skills are about as sharp as a brick at this moment. I know I'm gonna get flamed for this but here goes...

The obvious purpose of carrying a weapon is to have a lethal means of self defense should, God forbid, the need ever arise. Using that line of thought there are a few ways I see that happening..

1. You and yours are being personally targeted by someone who wants something you have. If that is the case, given the safety in numbers mantra, you are then likely in a place that common sense says you shouldn't be (in the hood at 1 am), or you have exposed something that you shouldn't have in the first place (large sums of money, fancy electronics, etc) which make you stand out.from the rest of the crowd. 

2. If you are thinking "active shooter" scenario the concern then switches to "is this guy smart enough to identify and eliminate potential threats before engaging everyone else"? Given the creeps that seem to do these things lately I agree that thought is questionable, however in that case it would seem that OCing might single you out for pre-emption. If that scenario occurs it would SEEM that, given the target rich environment, you would have time to draw and return fire or seek a good covered defense position before you are personally engaged.

3. If the issue is worrying about the group of young thugs walking down the street, OC/CC could cut either way. OC could deter or it could alert them on how to deal with you. Situational awareness and common sense in ANY of these cases is just as important, maybe even more so, as the weapon you are carrying.

In any case...I agree with some on here...the debate seems like a means to stir the pot but hey...this is a frank forum where thoughts/opinions are openly aired. If you don't have a thick skin...oh well. In the end, it does boil down to personal preference and what you are individually comfortable with.

Why would you get flamed for a well thought out post such as this? :up:

• Like 1

I wouldn't worry about how a stranger carries. I don't know them or their situation so I'm not really one to judge whether it works well for them or not. Personally I think retention holsters are pointless if your not a cop, but I won't knock anyone for wanting or using one.

Agreed too many people thinking that there way is the only correct way to do x y or z. I utilize a retention holster for consistency. Just as I carry a full size Semi Auto for consistency. I have encountered a few people who have let me know open carry really is not the correct way to carry and how basically they were obligated to educate me. Before we moved here I had some older fellow approach me at Meijers in Indiana tell how he could not help but notice my firearm and how state law requires it to be concealed.

I asked him how was it that he could not help but notice my side arm but he did not notice the bright shiny object next to it?

Then at that point I could not resist correcting him on his statement that Indiana law requires hand guns be concealed; because Indiana issues a LTCHG (license to carry a hand gun) the law is silent on method of carry so that concealed or open carry is permisible.
  • Like 1

This OC vs CC debate is why I always display my HCP Badge right next to my gat.  It dispels any doubt that I am duly authorized and endowed by the state with the authority to carry, openly or concealed, any handgun of my choosing.  Including my AR pistol.  

So when some jackwad civilian comments on my method of carry, they might end up face down on the concrete with the muzzle of my heater on the back of their head.  

P.S.:  The above is nothing but satire.  Just in case someone didn't realize....

Edited by Clod Stomper
  • Like 3

This OC vs CC debate is why I always display my HCP Badge right next to my gat.  It dispels any doubt that I am duly authorized and endowed by the state with the authority to carry, openly or concealed, any handgun of my choosing.  Including my AR pistol.  

So when some jackwad civilian comments on my method of carry, they might end up face down on the concrete with the muzzle of my heater on the back of their head.  

thank you so much appears I have been doing it wrong; I did not have a hcp badge mine was agency issued. My bad dang I shoud. Knew i should have stopped at Cabellas before we moved I know they stock those carry badges. Perhaps I can order one online along with one of those luggage tags to hold my credentials. Perhaps a pocket protector to complete the look.

P.s thank you for making me laugh

P.S.:  The above is nothing but satire.  Just in case someone didn't realize....

Guest AlohaSnackbar

open carrying is amazingly one of the only things not illegal here in connecticut, if you have a pistol permit you can legally OC. like others have mentioned though i like to remain inconspicuous and tend to at least pull a shirt over an OWB holster. 

Guest TheSilverFox
Since moving to TN from SC in 2009, I've only seen OC a few times. The ones I've seen do it probably wouldn't have done anyone any good in a gun fight. Like stated above, they were always wearing a nylon holster that hung down like pants on today's youth... often with a badge. I'd never seen a badge before moving here since SC is only CC... open carry and a badge has always struck me as odd. It's kinda like playing poker with your hole cards face up while the others are keeping them concealed while bluffing.
I saw a guy in Home Depot OC'ing. Normally would not bother me but this guy (kid) looked like a real douche. He was wearing those gold framed dark sunglasses like Sly wore in the movie Cobra. Had a toothpick in his mouth with his arm around his gf the whole time in HD.

P.S.:  The above is nothing but satire.  Just in case someone didn't realize..

Caught the satire at the first sentence.  One of these days when I have some extra cash I might get Ebay certified to carry as well.

• Like 1

I decided to go with a better holster than the "Versa carry" option i had been using. Basically, the Versacarry broke and I had to get a better concealment holster. Went with a Mad dog leather holster for the shield. It isn't exactly what I wanted, but i know i won't lose my firearm.

Unless I'm fishing, hunting or on my own property, I CC. I do not have a problem with those that OC, however, I've encountered a few fellas lately apparently doing their "Wally Walk" while OC'ing. Do us all a favor in that if you OC, take the chip off your shoulder and leave it at home! Holster type to me is up to the individual. Since I CC 99.99% of the time, I do not want a retention holster to slow me down.

Dave

[quote name="TNMP40" post="1178914" timestamp="1407887460"]This topic sure took a fork in the road.... my point (I think) was that if you choose to OC don't you think is wise to use a holster that has at least some form of firearm retention device? It just makes sense to me. What would the liability be if a kid grabbed your gun and shot someone? I am guessing the attorneys would certainly bring you into the law suit. [/quote] No I don't. Being aware of your surroundings and those near you makes sense. I, like a lot of people, have a variety of holsters. Some with retention, some without. If you reach for my pistol you might want to carry something to clean up your broken nose. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  • 2 weeks later...

I OC a fair amount, mostly walking the dogs.  When I'm in a store, I generally conceal it but I use an OTW holster and sometimes I carry a very large revolver.   then I just pull my shirt over the gun but it shows.

...the law allows OC, so I don't frek out when the shirt rides up.   ...live with it!   

I've open carried since I moved to TN two years ago...wouldn't have it any other way. The main reason I carry in that manner is for the comfort. I don't receive a paycheck to worry what other people think or say, so I just continue on with my life. To me, it is the only way to travel under most circumstances.

I don't care how other people choose to carry, or even how well they pull it off...it's just none of my business...just as how I carry (and what holster I use) is no one else's business....what a lovely world it would be if people quit worrying about everybody else
  • Like 1
[quote name="JReedEsq" post="1188639" timestamp="1410392629"]Why open carry when you can cc? I've got nothing against open carry and have done it occasionally hiking in backwoods areas etc...or at my office. But generally cc is more convenient.[/quote] Why cc when you can OC? Sometimes it is just. Ore comfortable.

If I owned my own business, I would OC.  Since I am an employee, I CC at work (owners know) just because if some anti squawks, it is affecting the owners' bottom line.  Although really, I could carry OWB and it would still be concealed because of the lab coat.

I fully support anyone who OC.  There are some that I may think are unwise to do so, but it is not my place to tell them otherwise.  Also, I think far few people notice OC than you think.  The other day my wife and I were leaving Walmart.  We were approximately 5-10 ft behind a large but short guy in grey cammo shorts with a nice pistol (maybe an XD; I'm not good at identifying guns based on the grip) in a floppy nylon holster (the kind you can buy at Walmart).  We walked behind him for several paces, enough for me to notice he also had pepper spray on his left side.  My wife never noticed the gun, and she is more attuned than the average person, but less attuned than us.  Also, I told her that his gun probably cost twice as much as mine, but my holster probably cost three times as much as his.

I've carried a weapon for over 44 years now. Always kept it concealed. I agree with the thought that if you carry open, it would seem to be a  logical reason to have a holster that holds your weapon securely.  Myself, I don't think it's wise to carry open. Why advertise??    I also feel that there are folks around that may feel uncomfortable with some one carrying a firearm.  Why get them upset.  Not that I really care how they feel about guns.   How about those situations where a Police Officer may  approach you and inquire  about the exposed weapon.  The Officer is probably responding to a complaint and he's only acting in response to the complaint.   I know, there are those who enjoy going toe to toe with a PO in their legality to carry open and posting it on You tube.   Some folks get their kicks that way, I guess. Me, as I stated before, I prefer to carry concealed in a secured holster. No one knows what's in my belt under the shirt and that's just the way I like it.

I have been OC'ing at work lately. I don't really get much walk in traffic so no one ever knows. To be honest the biggest problem I have with concealing is leaving my shirt un-tucked. I hate an un-tucked shirt but it's just a sacrifice we must make. I know there are tuckable holsters but it's so much stinking trouble.

For me, it's CC.  I wouldn't carry $600 in cash sticking out of my hip pocket for everyone to see... it's too much of a target of opportunity. I'm not physically strong enough or big enough (or young enough ) to defend myself if someone tries to take my weapon.  I saw a thief snatch a woman's purse once just walking down the mall, so it could happen. Of course, I know everyone who OCs is ninja-fast so it wouldn't be a problem for you.  :cool:  I'll stick with OWB with a shirt or light jacket cover.

The left undermines our Second Amendment rights by using a lot of arguments about what could possibly potentially maybe perhaps result from carrying guns.  Their mentality is driven by an irrational fear of the gun itself.  

That mentality is dangerous because it results in a persistent coordinated effort to intrusively regulate the way others live their lives - despite the responsibility, and God-given rights, of the people they seek to regulate.  

I try to avoid judging open carriers on the basis of what could possibly potentially maybe perhaps result from the open carry of a handgun.  And I trust my fellow Tennessean to make choices - about his handgun, and about his life in general - that best suit his own circumstances.

Edited by Wheelgunner
  • Like 1

For me, it's CC.  I wouldn't carry $600 in cash sticking out of my hip pocket for everyone to see... it's too much of a target of opportunity. I'm not physically strong enough or big enough (or young enough ) to defend myself if someone tries to take my weapon.  I saw a thief snatch a woman's purse once just walking down the mall, so it could happen. Of course, I know everyone who OCs is ninja-fast so it wouldn't be a problem for you.  :cool:  I'll stick with OWB with a shirt or light jacket cover.

That pretty well says it for me.

Plus, the political climate is such that even if it is "legal," I don't want to advance the anti agenda with any remotely negative in the eyes of the public.