Good chainsaw for the money?

jeff43

What's a good 14" or 16" chainsaw without spending a fortune?Just one to throw on the four wheeler .I have a 028 Stihl I've had for years for bigger jobs.I had a little Homelite 14" bar I used for carrying on the 4-wheeler and side by side , but it played out.
I bought two Poulans and had bad luck with both of them. Went to Lowes about 5 years ago and bought a snall Huskvarna for $219. I've used it 5 years with 0 problems. Would not sell it today for $219 and if it ever quits I will buy another one.
I got a stihl farm boss and a poulan pro, I got the poulan first and I have used the heck out of it. I had to replace the chain tension sprocket but I must say it lasted quite a long time before I wore it out and the old one was plastic vs the new steel one. The stihl, well its a stihl no issues there.

What's a good 14" or 16" chainsaw without spending a fortune?Just one to throw on the four wheeler .I have a 028 Stihl I've had for years for bigger jobs.I had a little Homelite 14" bar I used for carrying on the 4-wheeler and side by side , but it played out.

Jonsered is all I will ever own.  Used Stihl and Huskies with the forest service felling a bazillion trees and just as with anything else you will get good and bad apples in the bunch, but that's just a manufacturing issue, not a brand issue.

The Jonsereds and Huskies are basically the same thing, except for some of the Jonsereds have a faster chain speed (This is the reason I like them, they cut through stuff faster than just about anything else with a comparable chain).  Example: the Jonsered 2245 chain speed runs at 65.6 feet per second, while the comparable Huskie  445 only runs at 56 feet per second.  Both are generally faster than stihl.

Edited by Sam1

Back in the 80s and into the 90s my father for years cut wood on the side and sold the wood to the cabin rental businesses in Gatlinburg.  He use to start out using Homelites and others, and due to the amount of wood he cut, these brands would last about 2 seasons.  Then he discovered Stihl.  That was 20-30 years ago, and he still has them, and they still run very good.  I think at last count he had 3, in varying sizes for the occasional help he would have.  He is now retired, and those saws are just collecting dust, but someday they will be mine or for my kids.  I too have a Stihl chainsaw that I found at a yard sale, and I have a Stihl leaf blower.  Great machines.  :up:

• Like 1

Ive been a Stihl fan for a long time.  Thats what we used in Forest Service.  The main thing I liked most was the way it comes apart,  its easy to break down to the clutch plate without much work.  

however, the new Husky's are such great running saws. They are auto-tuned to run optimally at all throttle positions.  Most of the professionals I work with use them now.  Of course Stihl is still a great saw, but you get more power with a smaller engine on the Husky.