How's the weather where you are?

Raoul

Well we live 1/2 way between Livingston and Jamestown. The mailman didn't come yesterday and I doubt we will see him before Saturday. Nobody has ventured out to the highway. The road/lane we live on is close to the dead end and the temperature and rain will be what clears our road. It was snowing like crazy this morning probably got 3 inches of light fluffy snow. I myself have seen all I want for about 25 years. I am ready to go fishing and no ice fishin neither. Ya'll stay safe out there, we don't need any broken hips and such!!

• Like 1

LOL speaking of broken hips, I walked/slipped/slid/ to the store today, I fell 5 times and krilled my ankle on the way back, I really don't see why anyone would want to try to drive on that mess I could hardly walk on, it's slicker than a moles butt out there!! Worse fall was the last, I landed hard on my Rossi .357 mag on my left hip........ HUGE BRUISE

Edited by john455

I hear ya John, I drove my 4x4 Yukon to check on my Vietnam Veteran neighbor yesterday and I warned him about slipping and falling. I will have to give my mailman credit he usually drives a Buick, but just came by in a 4x4 Chevy pickup so the highway must be passable anyway. Me and momma decided before moving here that on days or weeks like this we would stay put and watch the fire in the Ashley and look out the window until we saw no white!!  Leftover chili today, maybe vegetable soup tomorrow.

Everything is getting "melty" here.  I have driven to and from work both Monday and Tuesday (4runner).  

While our street is still covered in ice and snow, the ruts are melting and the trash collection did make it by today.

_____

Here's a little fun for the ones with young kids/grandkids:  ... my experience this morning.

Fatherhood 400 level course - Class exercise:

1) Preparation: Ensure kids are well clothed when sledding to avoid abraisions from ice, small bumps to head, frostbite, windburn, etc.

2) Setup: Check on kids' welfare occasionally... Do not bother to dress warmly when you do this. A white T-shirt, old blue jeans, and boat shoes with no socks are appropriate attire.

3) Action: Say, "yes!" when the kids ask if you will sled down the hill with them one last time. Give no regard to dressing for the activity. It "will be over before you know it."  smile emoticon In case of a spill, remember to contort your body appropriately so as not to land on/contact/injure your children.

4) Clean Up: Symmetry.... Allow the kids to apply peroxide to your abrasions (As you've told them, ice can cut you!). Laugh through the sting and watch them do the same.

5) Review: Cherish the memory forever!

• Like 4

As of Wed evening, we have an inch of snow over an inch of ice. I spent much of yesterday clearing my road and then another hour today.  Chainsaw is my friend. That ice is nasty heavy stuff.  Been without power 48 hours.  Thankful for a good wood stove and a good supply of wood. 

Edited by oldogy
  • Like 1

Good grief from Vegas, Southwest Airlines made it sound like it was snowpocalypse 2015 here.  Flew into Birmingham last night and drove up at light speed without ever hitting a bad spot.

I think they may have just been overbooked and giving us the runaround.

I flew in and out of BNA several times in the last two days. You couldn't pay me enough to do it on that single "cleared" runway if live's weren't on the line. It was seriously 2 of the most sketchy landings I've been through, one in a King Air and the other in a 31a. Also apparently one of the main commercial carriers(southwest I'm assuming due to all the cancellations) ran out of de-icing solution. 

• Like 2

I find it interesting that while our mail hasn't come yet this week, I've seen multiple mail trucks driving through the neighborhood delivering packages for Amazon.

They must have a heck of an SLA in their contract.

USPS is now delivering for Amazon on Sundays around here.

I flew in and out of BNA several times in the last two days. You couldn't pay me enough to do it on that single "cleared" runway if live's weren't on the line. It was seriously 2 of the most sketchy landings I've been through, one in a King Air and the other in a 31a. Also apparently one of the main commercial carriers(southwest I'm assuming due to all the cancellations) ran out of de-icing solution. 

Wow that must've been bad.

Today the airport was busy as all get out, but I didn't see a plane take off or land for an hour at least.

ICE ICE Baby:

reported today at 630 pm

\

Robert Van Winkle, better known as Vanilla Ice, has been arrested on burglary and grand theft charges after allegedly stealing items from a vacant Florida home.

The rapper-turned-TV star is said to have removed furniture, a pool heater and bicycles, among other items, from the home  -- which is currently in the process of foreclosure – sometime between Dec. 2014 and Feb. 2015. Van Winkle is currently renovating the residence adjacent to the property in Lantana, Florida.
“Police executed a search warrant in unincorporated Palm Beach County in which several of the stolen items were recovered at a residence ‘under the care and control’ of Robert Van Winkle,” WPTV details.
The items have reportedly been returned to the rightful owner.

Van Winkle, who was a popular rapper in the early 90s, is most widely recognized for his hit, “Ice Ice Baby.” Nowadays, he is the host of the DIY Network’s reality TV show “The Vanilla Ice Project.”

Mina Abgoon icon-email-a.png
Mina Abgoon, a Vegas-based journalist, is a digital editor with Journal Broadcast Group's national content team.

Wow that must've been bad.

Today the airport was busy as all get out, but I didn't see a plane take off or land for an hour at least.

This is the tarmac by the hangers as we were loading the plane last night, it was a solid sheet of ice.
5c49753ac3acdd572edea9963476f039.jpg

The ice and snow are much prettier from a distance. :)
2759527ade0eb0f138a6be83366d3b89.jpg

It's getting right out there. I got another 2-3 inches of snow and now the wind is up to about 15-20 mph. Thermometer shows about 22. Holy crap.

I'm guessing we ended up with about 6-7" total after today's dump.  But I will have to hand it to Bristol's road crews - streets out our way have been in really good shape the whole time, and much is already dry.  Which is good - looks like we're on the way to about -3 by morning.   Out in Sullivan County and in Bristol, Virginia...different story. 

I've been fortunate enough to get to fly over snow fall a couple of times, it's pretty dang cool.  The best though was leaving Kansas City, where the tops of the stop signs were barely sticking out above the snow and landing in San Diego a few hours later where it was 84 degrees!

No room for flight attendants on our flights lol. I fly out with our transplant surgical team to package and preserve organs in transit from OR to OR.

My nefew would be jealous, he's a paramedic and would love a steady flying gig. He's a Franklin fire fighter now, he did have a second job where he flew with patients, only a few times when he was a Cheatham Co. paramedic then he got on with the Franklin Fire Dept. after many months of their training. When he's home in Kingston Springs he still goes on calls with the Kingston Springs Volunteer Fire Dept.

I've been fortunate enough to get to fly over snow fall a couple of times, it's pretty dang cool.  The best though was leaving Kansas City, where the tops of the stop signs were barely sticking out above the snow and landing in San Diego a few hours later where it was 84 degrees!

I flew in a heavy snow storm before in October in Eagleville TN. in a Cessna 182. Of course it was snowing at 10,000ft, melting into a cold drizzle at about 7,000 ft. because it was about 60ish on the ground. I know this because I jumped out of the Cessna in the snow storm.  :)

• Like 1

No room for flight attendants on our flights lol. I fly out with our transplant surgical team to package and preserve organs in transit from OR to OR.

So the "transplant team" does removal and install?  I always figured they just used the doctors at whichever hospital it was occurring at.