How's the weather where you are?

Raoul

Woke up morning of Jan. 21, 1985 in tiny uninsulated trailer just north of Knoxville in Union County, -24 with 6 inches or so of crusty snow.

Always puts any current weather in context for me. ;)

- OS

I remember that one too. Had a baby in the house. About 18 inches of snow, cold as all get out and no electricity.

Thank god for wood stoves and the energy of youth.

• Like 1

Wow, that does bring back memories.

Sometimes I forget things like that. We, and by that I do mean myself as well, forget how far we've come in our lifetimes.

I grew up living in grandparents homes. They did have electric lights, but heat and cooking was from wood stoves.

That was in the 50's. And for the youngsters among us, that really wasn't uncommon. Although electricity was available in most areas then, there still were a lot of country/ lower income people and families that didn't heat by it.

So for me, that was an eye-opening comment that triggered lots of old thoughts.

Could I go back to that? If I had to, and if I had the stove to do it. There are makeshift options, but pray that I don't see that anytime soon. 

• Like 2

Woke up morning of Jan. 21, 1985 in tiny uninsulated trailer just north of Knoxville in Union County, -24 with 6 inches or so of crusty snow.

Always puts any current weather in context for me. ;)

- OS

I'm impressed with your memory. I can't even recall what I had for dinner the night before on most days. For as long as I've lived in TN I can't ever remember it being in negative temps.

white death is coming down hard.  Interstate on the way home from work tonight was sort of bad.  Hammer lane had stuff sticking to it.  Of course there was some yahoo doing 25 mph, yes 25 mph on it.  I mean it was not awesome driving conditions but 50 to 60 was safe to run at.  That jerk was causing people to hit their brakes hard as they came up on him. Had a trial of cars following.  Dude should have stuck to surface streets if he is that scared to drive.

Hopefully it will be raining by the time I need to leave for work tomorrow.

Well...here in Inglewood, we are on floodwatch again.

The Cooper Creek water line is up about one foot so far, and with continued rain forecasted to hit 2" plus, we are getting ready to jump ship again.

With the melt off well under way here, the added rain will almost certainly be a problem.

So now we watch the tv, weather channel, rainfall in the yard and the water level in Cooper Creek; in hopes of no flooding again.

Well it sleeted/snowed last night.  Started raining this morning and I swear I was telling my wife we would probably lose power and it went off within 30 seconds. I later said I needed to talk about sex!! Power stayed off for about an hour, on radio they said Jamestown has about an inch of ice and Albany, Ky was without power. Ya'll be safe and stay put if you don't have to get out. Mailman came and road is a slushy, icy mess. Come on spring!!

Well, it's still raining, but a light rain here. Still forecasting 1-2 inches of rain thru tonight.

The Cooper Creek level hasn't risen in the last hour. It's just about to the level we would move our vehicles out and start packing a bug from the house.

If it doesn't get any higher, we should be ok. But if it starts rising in the back yard, we are gone and headed to inlaws.

PS   But as David mentioned...it's still ice under the melting snow.

So guys, be careful out there in the morning.

Edited by hipower
  • Administrator

We had more snow last night but it transitioned to sleet sometime after 10pm and did that until early this morning when it finally moved to rain.  The snow/ice on the yards has broken up fairly well but I'd say at least 50% is still covered in frozen crap.

The roads and driveways are a different story.  The rain helped turn the top layer of ice to slush but beneath that is still a good 1.0 - 1.5" of ice which hasn't gone anywhere.  Rather, it keeps re-freezing the slush on top of it and had made it progressively worse.  Tried to shovel some of it off of the driveway earlier to make a foot-path, but all I managed to do was expose the more hazardous ice.  I shoved the slush back on top of it so we'd have something to carefully walk on.

This weather blows.  Snow, I enjoy.  Ice sucks big.

Melting with drizzle here, temp up to 42 at the moment. Let the mud and floods begin...

Well, it's still raining, but a light rain here. Still forecasting 1-2 inches of rain thru tonight.

The Cooper Creek level hasn't risen in the last hour. It's just about to the level we would move our vehicles out and start packing a bug from the house.

If it doesn't get any higher, we should be ok. But if it starts rising in the back yard, we are gone and headed to inlaws.

Well, looks like we dodged it here in the 'hood.

Water level go to just past the point I usually run for the cars and bail out. But in the last 2 hours, it has dropped over 2 ".

I'll keep watch till around midnight. If I doesn't start rising from further runoff, we will stay here.

Edited by hipower
  • Administrator

I was passing everything on the highway last night. Tn drivers cant drive worth of ####. And im rwd. Best part was a camry taking up both lanes of the highway. It wasn't too bad though.

We unwashed slobs are so fortunate to have you in this state to teach us how to drive.  :bored:

• Like 5

We unwashed slobs are so fortunate to have you in this state to teach us how to drive. :bored:

I mean northerners never wreck right. They carry a magical wand that gives them the power to control their vehicle on solid ice

6AC6045D-C7F6-45B0-8F4B-92ED555ED0B3_zps

And yes I grew up in WV, I've driven in plenty of snow. It's simply a lack of experience for southerners. I take pride in the lack of wintery precip, I hate the stuff
  • Like 1