Almost got Iced by my wifes car...

CommsNBombs

About to change the oil on my wifes Ford Focus, thing is up on two jacks and two jack stands to be redundant, I go inside to get my allen keys to pull the pan off - took me a little extra time because I misplaced some with my Dillon.

Walked outside, about to get underneath and both jacks fly out from under in and the jack stands go with them.

Holy crap - if I knew where my allen keys were I would have been dead as hell, there is ZERO clearance under that thing

Im investing in ramps instead...

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Glad you're ok.

Didnt die this time!

Awesome! Living: Good! Dying: Not as good.

Glad you're ok, that can be really scary. Had a jack fail on me once, but wasn't under it. After that, moved to stands and wheel chocks, I don't trust just the parking brake.

• Like 2

A jack is a jack, not a stand. I am glad you are alright, but the lesson here is to use tools properly. A jack is meant to lift weight, not hold it.

Or after getting to the second page, paying someone else to change your oil might be the lesson...

Edited by Murgatroy

A jack is a jack, not a stand. I am glad you are alright, but the lesson here is to use tools properly. A jack is meant to lift weight, not hold it.

Or after getting to the second page, paying someone else to change your oil might be the lesson...

I had it on jacks and stands

I had it on jacks and stands

I understand that.

Jacks aren't meant to hold weight. You jack it up, and you put the stands under it, then you remove tension on the jack. Thus only the stands are holding weight. You keep the jack in an approximate position, but it doesn't hold any weight.  You don't continue to use the jacks once it is on the stands. As you found out, that is asking for trouble.

Edited by Murgatroy
  • Like 2

+1 on using the stands.  I take it you used scissor jacks; they are only meant to lift one side, with the opposite tire on the ground.  I also see you are not on cement, and the ground is soft too; had many a jack lean due to soft ground.  Best to get a cement block, one of the flat ones to help distribute the load if still using a scissor jack.  I have a set of yellow metal ramps I got some years back, worked OK except on one car where the spoiler hit the ramp before the tires.  

Glad you are okay! My F-150 crushed my Rhino Ramps so don't put anything too heavy on them.

You probably already know this, but there are at least two versions of rhino ramps, one rated for cars and another for trucks. I use mine for both so I got the truck version. I can't imagine them folding up under anything less than a Mack!
  • Like 1

This would be cool to have. Kind of a poor man's (relatively speaking) home hydraulic lift. They make a 3.5Klbs and a 5K lbs one.

http://equiptool.com/i-22164889-ranger-bl-3500-quickjack.html

http://equiptool.com/i-22167375-ranger-bl-5000-quickjack.html

I think I'd still set jackstands under the car if I was going to be under it though.

Ranger-BL-5000XL-5.jpg?1445854548

Edited by monkeylizard

The first thing I did when I get a different vehicle is throw away that scissor jack and put my hydraulic jack in the vehicle. I bought two of them when i caught them on sale at Oreilly's Auto Parts for $23.95 each. Worked well on my full size 1500 series GMC pickup and now my Jeep Cherokee. They are the roll around version and come in a hard case for carrying and storage. As I have gotten older I have my son change my oil at the shop he owns and works in. Now jacks are only used to replace a flat tire.......... :up: 

Really glad you did not get hurt................ :up: :up: