Pending Gun EO Chatter, Update See Post #114

After watching the neo nazi crap this idiot in charge spewed, I am more convinced that amongst the idiots, the moron is king.

200 more ATF agents and looking at mental records, will do nothing but generate more fast and furious fails and hipaa lawsuits.
Want to reduce crimes w guns!!? Beef up street enforcement and teach humans to respect life and instill this idea that it's not cool to shoot people....

None of this will ever happen because 50% of this might make sense
  • Like 1
So, if I took antidepressants as a teenager and saw a therapist would I be denied during a background check? Or is it just for people who have been declared a danger to themselves or have been involuntarily committed?

How is this not a violation of HIPAA? Also, how is this expanding anything? Edited by suspiciousmind
That's the $64,000 question. In a world where everyone seems to have been prescribed some forms of anti depressants or even just been told that that "may be depressed" are they excluded from firearms ownership without due process just because a Dr, PA, or whatever says so?

Like many things HIPAA seems to be applied by a variable set of rules...

Seen something interesting a bit ago.  So he says we must have a license to sell only at gun shows.  However, the ATF says that is illegal:

May a person obtain a dealer’s license to engage in business only at gun shows?  

No. A license may only be issued for a permanent premises at which the license applicant intends to do business. A person having such license may conduct business temporarily at gun shows located in the State in which the licensed premises is located, and sell and deliver curio or relic firearms to other licensees at any location.

[18 U.S.C. 923(a) and (j); 27 CFR 478.100]

So, if I took antidepressants as a teenager and saw a therapist would I be denied during a background check? Or is it just for people who have been declared a danger to themselves or have been involuntarily committed?

How is this not a violation of HIPAA? Also, how is this expanding anything?

This is the slight of hand. They've been at this exact topic for several years now and with this EO they will expand it to the populace. Inmo of course. While the majority here are talking about background checks and trusts, the real purpose, I think, is back door control and infringement. After all, those making the rules are doing so under their own power and interpretation. We will not know the ramifications unless this EO is left to fester unabated.
A link on the VA's approach:

http://mobile.wnd.com/2013/04/feds-sued-for-snatching-veterans-gun-rights/ Edited by Ugly

I'm not "in the business" of selling guns. Can I still buy from or sell to an individual? Does the location have anything to do with it (gun show or not)? Forgive me for not having time to dig through all 12 pages of this topic. Much less however many thousands of pages are in the EO.

• Like 1

I'm not "in the business" of selling guns. Can I still buy from or sell to an individual? Does the location have anything to do with it (gun show or not)? Forgive me for not having time to dig through all 12 pages of this topic. Much less however many thousands of pages are in the EO.

No, the new rules require that you donate the gun in the classifieds of TGO as a freebie.

Give me a 5 minute heads up before you post it!

• Like 2

The one that really scares me is the "gun safety technology" issue.  I can really see this one taking guns out at the manufacturer level.  It is either going to be a de facto confiscation by making all guns without said technology illegal or it is going to make all guns going forward too cost prohibitive for regular people to own.  Microchipping and biometrics could become required in the foreseeable future.  The left will say they won't be taking away guns, but they will require that they all have these special new features that will add hundreds of dollars to the purchase price and make any existing firearms illegal.

Last Fall 60 minutes had a story on Smart Guns (safety technology).  Great story, but the NRA is against it because of the risk in failure to fire when it is needed most.  Below is a posting to video, but you must have their all access to view, but there is a transcript of the story which is really the meat and potatos anyway. 

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/smart-guns-60-minutes-lesley-stahl/

Edited by runco

When is the actual, you know, Executive Order, going to be issued?  The only thing on the WH's website where they post such things is a memorandum promoting smart gun technology.

There seem to be some questions as to whether all the things he mentioned are actually technically indeed EO's, or will all fall under Memoranda or Proclamation.

No idea why only the Smart Gun thing is listed so far period. It's Hussein's White House after all, so making sense would be unusual.

- OS

Edited by Oh Shoot

Last Fall 60 minutes had a story on Smart Guns (safety technology).  Great story, but the NRA is against it because of the risk in failure to fire when it is needed most.  Below is a posting to video, but you must have their all access to view, but there is a transcript of the story which is really the meat and potatos anyway. 

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/smart-guns-60-minutes-lesley-stahl/

I believe that it was said in the speech that if we can make a spring bottles child proof then we should make guns child proof or words like that...

I don't know your experience but I don't think that fast access to a asprin wasn't needed to save your life or others.

In fact you won't find true life saving emergency drugs like nitroglycerin or an eppi pen in child proof packaging... Of course this isn't about life saving is ithe it's about "common sense"

When is the actual, you know, Executive Order, going to be issued?  The only thing on the WH's website where they post such things is a memorandum promoting smart gun technology.

I think they are still letting the lawyers tweak the exact wording for it behind the scenes.  The last thing they want is to screw up the implementation, and with as narrowly targeted as this is, it runs that risk.

The biggest thing was for the President to look "bold" on the issue. The lead up, holding that town hall, and on Tuesday, you can expect for him to reiterate it all during the State of the Union, the date everything was backwards planned from.  The effect of this (on all sides, including ours) is much more in the political spin than the actions taken. 

Speaking of Smart Guns, here a couple links:

How Obama's edict will resurrect smart guns  (from a recent Slashdot article)

Of course, we've seen it before. Here some spiffy marketing.

A gun that defaults to a non-firing state? I think only the free market will show how that will turn out. Unfortunately, it may lead to several deaths before politicians and early adopters will re-think Smart Gun technology.

Perhaps it's time to lay in a good supply of good old-fashioned "mechanical guns".... 

• Like 1

If I'm not mistaken NJ has a law stating once something like this becomes available then ALL new handguns must have it.  CA may or may not have the same.

You are right.  In the 60 minutes story, it mentions that. 

I am not in favor of smart guns until its proven.   Maybe let the secret service test it for awhile, oh I don't know 30 years.  By then I will be to old too care.

What about the 300+++ million "dumb guns" already in the U.S. right now? What do the Einstein's plan to do with those?

I'm not shocked anymore that there are those who actually believe that the E.O.'s the dictator signed will actually do anything to prevent one criminal from committing a crime, the older I get the less and less I'm impressed with humans, the ones who are not naive and will believe anything they hear are the ones who know better and don't care, they feel it's a political win for them because they hate the opposing opinion more than our real enemies who they defend and make excuses for.

Any smart technology would require a battery to power the intelligence, so you'd have to make sure that you have a charged battery before you could fire it. Like my emergency flashlights that sit around for months, if not years, before I need them, the battery would certainly be dead when I need it.
PDs won't issue "smart guns". There is a reason. Even 50 years from now the technology won't be reliable enough to bet your life on. People who talk of "smart guns" being a viable solution are the same people who say, "shoot them in the leg rather than shoot to kill." These are the people who watch too many movies and believe it's reality; stupid people. Their opinions don't matter any more than the opinions of a toddler.
  • Like 2

PDs won't issue "smart guns". There is a reason. Even 50 years from now the technology won't be reliable enough to bet your life on. People who talk of "smart guns" being a viable solution are the same people who say, "shoot them in the leg rather than shoot to kill." These are the people who watch too many movies and believe it's reality; stupid people. Their opinions don't matter any more than the opinions of a toddler.

Yep. You keep backup iron sights on a fighting gun usually because the main optic uses a battery. Smart guns will never fly. And free cheese ain't really free. Fairy tales for dumbasses.

• Like 2

Any smart technology would require a battery to power the intelligence, so you'd have to make sure that you have a charged battery before you could fire it. Like my emergency flashlights that sit around for months, if not years, before I need them, the battery would certainly be dead when I need it.

Just saw this post. What he ^^^ said.

Just saw this post. What he ^^^ said.

Problem is Mike, even if the libtards understand... they do not care.  I doubt that they even keep fresh batteries in their flashlights.  Somehow, it seems to me if one is prepared for emergency, statistically they are also gun owner.  It would be real interesting to know the actual figures.